The Student Room Group

C3 help please? differentiation

Hiya guys,
I'm having trouble with a problem form my c3 text book. The question is:
Show that the curve y=(x^3)/(1+x^4)^0.5 has a positive gradient for all values of x except at x=0
I have differentiated the equation to find dy/dx however i cannot see how this will always be positive.
Thanks
What's your dy/dx equation?
Original post by noodlemon
Hiya guys,
I'm having trouble with a problem form my c3 text book. The question is:
Show that the curve y=(x^3)/(1+x^4)^0.5 has a positive gradient for all values of x except at x=0
I have differentiated the equation to find dy/dx however i cannot see how this will always be positive.
Thanks

You should get

dydx=x2(x4+3)(1+x4)1.5\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x^2(x^4+3)}{(1+x^4)^{1.5}}

Now, notice that

x2>0x^2 > 0

for all non-zero x. So what can you say about x4x^4

?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
originally, (3x^2(1+x^4)^0.5)-(2x^6(x^4+1))^0.5)/(x^4+1), which i simplified in the end to, x^2(3+x^4)/(x^4+1)^3/2 ?? i used the quotient rule.
Reply 4
Original post by Indeterminate
You should get

dydx=x2(x4+3)(1+x4)1.5\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x^2(x^4+3)}{(1+x^4)^{1.5}}

Now, notice that

x2>0x^2 > 0

for all non-zero x. So what can you say about x4x^4

?

yes i acknowledge the numerator to be always +ve, but the denominator, surely it can be -ve too as theres a root involved?
yes i acknowledge the numerator to be always +ve, but the denominator, surely it can be -ve too as theres a root involved?

Can 1 + x^4 be negative?
Reply 6
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Can 1 + x^4 be negative?

nope, as x^4 is always positive, plus one therefore will be +ve too? however if you put that to the power of (3/2) im failing to realize why that's always +ve, ie, why is x^(3/2) always >0? as isnt that just square root (x^3), which surely is a plus or minus? im really confused here :s
Reply 7

What makes you think this? Do you see a plus-or-minus sign in front of the root?

You only get positive and negative square roots when, for example, you use algebra to undo a squaring.

Well, what goes wrong when you try to solve

x2(3+x4)(1+x4)1.5<0\dfrac{x^2(3+x^4)}{(1+x^4)^{1.5}} < 0

?
nope, as x^4 is always positive, plus one therefore will be +ve too? however if you put that to the power of (3/2) im failing to realize why that's always +ve, ie, why is x^(3/2) always >0? as isnt that just square root (x^3), which surely is a plus or minus? im really confused here :s

If 1 + x^4 is always positive then it's cube will always be positive which means that it's square root will also always be positive.
Reply 10
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
If 1 + x^4 is always positive then it's cube will always be positive which means that it's square root will also always be positive.

ooh im sorry, im not deliberately trying to be dumb, or difficult. But say lets take (1+x^4)^3 to equal x, and we know for a fact now that x>0 , as stated before. Now we try to root this, surely a root of a +ve number, can be positive or negative? say we take x=9, surely root x is +-3?
Reply 11
Original post by Indeterminate
Well, what goes wrong when you try to solve

x2(3+x4)(1+x4)1.5<0\dfrac{x^2(3+x^4)}{(1+x^4)^{1.5}} < 0

?

ah i see that, thank you, thats effectively proven it, but could you please read my lsat post which i quoted thatrandomguy. but thanks, i accept that
Reply 12
ooh im sorry, im not deliberately trying to be dumb, or difficult. But say lets take (1+x^4)^3 to equal x, and we know for a fact now that x>0 , as stated before. Now we try to root this, surely a root of a +ve number, can be positive or negative? say we take x=9, surely root x is +-3?

The square root of a number is definded as the positive root. If you raise a number to a power e.g. x^1.5 this can only be 1 number, not 2.
Reply 13
ah i see that, thank you, thats effectively proven it, but could you please read my lsat post which i quoted thatrandomguy. but thanks, i accept that

I already answered your question: the thing is that because you differentiated the square root sign here is a positive square root sign (take the positive solution only). The fact that two values x=±k satisfy x^2=k^2 is irrelevant here.

No, I think you are getting confused.

If x^2 = 9 then x could equal +-3. However if x = 9 then root x will only be positive 3.

thatrandomguy's post was confusing tbh

The square root of a number is defined as the +ve square root
Reply 16
Original post by TenOfThem
thatrandomguy's post was confusing tbh

The square root of a number is defined as the +ve square root

Oh i see... wow ive never thought of it that way, sorry for slow reply, i was getting my head round it. So effectively ive defined it to be positive already :P
Reply 17
Thank you everyone for your help :smile: its much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest