The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8520
Today, I watched Jackie Brown for the second time. I don't think I'd really appreciated how good the sound editing on it was. Very good film. :yep:
Reply 8521
Original post by Abiraleft
Today, I watched Jackie Brown for the second time. I don't think I'd really appreciated how good the sound editing on it was. Very good film. :yep:

My favourite Tarantino by far!
Reply 8522
Original post by aja89
My favourite Tarantino by far!

I'm not quite sure which I'd choose between Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown. :colondollar: But the latter is certainly the most technically accomplished of his films that I've seen. :yep:
Reply 8523
Original post by danny111
I actually haven't seen that many, my point was just when I see one, they have always been great. I mean I don't actively try to watch them if you know what I mean. I have seen Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy. Then 2 others on TV, don't remember the names though. One was about some pimp.

Oh fair enough, yeah I'd agree. If you ever get a chance watch The Man From Nowhere, one of the only Korean films I own on DVD, so good.

Original post by Revent
Saw The Chaser last night! Such a good film! I really liked it :smile:

:yy: I watched that the other day as well, really enjoyed it. Bleak as hell though.
Reply 8524
I really can't understand why Kermode likes Stoker so much. I thought it was cliched, predictable mess akin to Orphan!
Reply 8525
Original post by aja89
I really can't understand why Kermode likes Stoker so much. I thought it was cliched, predictable mess akin to Orphan!

Well, he's also said that he's a big fan of the Twilight franchise. :o: I've never quite gotten what sort of a critic he's supposed to be - he seems neither mainstream/populist nor artsy/indie; just hipster, basically. :p: Not that I've read a lot by him, so my opinion isn't especially informed.
Watched warm bodies today in Australia and i have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Really liked it.
Original post by Malevolent
Watched warm bodies today in Australia and i have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Really liked it.

What films is it like? I read the description and didn't really fancy it.
Original post by Abiraleft
Well, he's also said that he's a big fan of the Twilight franchise. :o: I've never quite gotten what sort of a critic he's supposed to be - he seems neither mainstream/populist nor artsy/indie; just hipster, basically. :p: Not that I've read a lot by him, so my opinion isn't especially informed.

On the whole I like Kermode but, yes, some of his views are a little strange. I remember reading in last year's Sight Sound poll of the best films that he'd included The Seventh Seal in his ten. Anyone who makes a decision like that has my backing.
Reply 8529
Original post by Muckoz
Red dawn wow what a pile .. josh peck wow just wow hes so bad

I enjoyed Red Dawn. It was just a silly film to be enjoyed lightly, not to be taken seriously at all.

I agree that Josh Peck was god-awful though. Throughout the film I thought I recognised him from something, couldn't believe he was the fat kid from Drake & Josh. I don't comment on an acting performance but he was truly atrocious.
Reply 8530
watched a film with kirsten dunst and her 2 friends and one other friend who's getting married. and two of the friends just took alot of drugs.
Man that film sucked
Was suppose to be a comedy not funny.
Has anyone seen Compliance yet? I saw it at the weekend. Interesting but it seemed wildly implausible despite apparently being based on real events.

I guess the key is in the phrase "based on"

SPOILERS BELOW

Spoiler

EDIT: I take back my skepticism. I looked it up and it's all absolutely true, down to the last detail. Extraordinary! :shock:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Has anyone seen Compliance yet? I saw it at the weekend. Interesting but it seemed wildly implausible despite apparently being based on real events.

I guess the key is in the phrase "based on"

SPOILERS BELOW

Spoiler

EDIT: I take back my skepticism. I looked it up and it's all absolutely true, down to the last detail. Extraordinary! :shock:

Tbh that is quite naive.

The single biggest group of people that receive BJs from prostitutes in the US are police officers, and often for free in return for not booking them.

And this is not that much of a step further.
Original post by danny111
Tbh that is quite naive.

The single biggest group of people that receive BJs from prostitutes in the US are police officers, and often for free in return for not booking them.

And this is not that much of a step further.

You got data to back that statement up? :rolleyes: I'd be prepared to bet that the biggest group is actually their clients!

Anyway, that's not what happens in this film. And the victim is not a prostitute. So a fairly meaningless comparison.

And please use spoiler tags! This is a brand new release!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Plato's Trousers
You got data to back that statement up? :rolleyes: I'd be prepared to bet that the biggest group is actually their clients!

Anyway, that's not what happens in this film. And the victim is not a prostitute. So a fairly meaningless comparison.

And please use spoiler tags! This is a brand new release!

I haven't even seen the film. And no, I don't have the data, but read about it. And yes it's not the same, but knowing that, it's not that much of a leap.

The bit about it being their "clients" is silly. You know I meant what type of work their clients do.
Reply 8535
Watched Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait the other night, and thought it was really well done. The parts subtitled with Zizou's thoughts and recollections in particular were well-executed; the film maybe could have done more with that. I'm not sure how much non-football fans would appreciate it, but it's more an exercise in artsy execution than a football film - in which respect it has perhaps a bit of a niche appeal. :colondollar:
Reply 8536
Been ill this week and haven't made it to the cinema, so copped out and did my top ten movie musicals for the blog. :cool:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/top-ten-movie-musicals/
Reply 8537
Why is Lana Lang being portrayed by a 15 year old in Man of Steel? :holmes:
Original post by Deshi

Given the scope of the film covers his childhood, she's probably there for the Smallville part of the story.
Original post by Deshi

14 years old.

By the time she is 15, most of the film will have been shot. Probably all of it actually I don't recall the release date.

But anyway, she is not Kristin Kreuk :love:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending