The Student Room Group

Which university should I firm for investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by will2348
Cass isn't different a such. It's a different name and they have higher entry requirements for their courses but your degree is awarded from City.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So would an economics degree from city be just as reputable as if it was one of the CASS courses?
Because i like economics and would prefer to do that degree, but is IFRM better?
Reply 21
Original post by SaraWarah
Ignore QMUL - Cass and Notts are more prestigious.

Mathematics and Economics is equally good for a degree - plenty of mathematicians, engineers and physicists make it into FO IB roles, as the quantitative skills are important. If that's what you want to do, then do it - it won't hinder you at all (if you enjoy it more, it'll only benefit you).

Be aware that Notts is only a semi-targeted uni (you've said this yourself, but don't set your expectations too high when Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick are the main target unis for FO). However, you've asked for what will maximise your chances, and this will be between Cass and Notts.

The difference between them is probably negligible. Go to whichever one has the course which you prefer, do well in it, work hard to make connections, get on internships/spring weeks etc. and you'll end up with pretty much the same chances as you would have if you went to the other.

Thank you Sara, I am aware they are semi targets and not favourable if aiming for FO roles however i am determined to make it work, even if I have to do a Msc at a target maximise my chances.
I think i may well enjoy the economics and math course as i really enjoy maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by WishfulBanker
Thank you Sara, I am aware they are semi targets and not favourable if aiming for FO roles however i am determined to make it work, even if I have to do a Msc at a target maximise my chances.
I think i may well enjoy the economics and math course as i really enjoy maths.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Then go for it, the Maths+Economics course at Nottingham looks fantastic with a very good selection of relevant module combinations.

The only thing is, if you want to do things like political thought, philosophy etc. in your degree then your options will be very limited with a Maths+Econ degree for obvious reasons, although my guess is that you'd still be able to pick options within the Economics section of your degree.
Reply 23
Original post by Pandin
Hey there,

would you be so kind to explain me why you decided to go for S&T and not IB, as I'm fortunately sure about the courses I'll firm/insure, but definitely not about which division to pick over the other? Btw, I'm more passionate about a role in capital markets, although I fear that I will fail, that possibility was already mentioned before, and end up without any exit opportunities... Furthermore, I don't know anyone who actually works in trading to tell me about the job, only someone in M&A.

Well i have no experience in either but i feel sales and trading is more suited to me. I may not know for sure until i intern at a bank in one of the divisions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by SaraWarah
Then go for it, the Maths+Economics course at Nottingham looks fantastic with a very good selection of relevant module combinations.

The only thing is, if you want to do things like political thought, philosophy etc. in your degree then your options will be very limited with a Maths+Econ degree for obvious reasons, although my guess is that you'd still be able to pick options within the Economics section of your degree.

Thanks again, i was wondering wetherbor not getting a Msc at a target will increase my chances or not?
Also are you interested in banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
So would an economics degree from city be just as reputable as if it was one of the CASS courses?
Because i like economics and would prefer to do that degree, but is IFRM better?

The majority of employers view and treat Cass and City differently in my experience, yes. And Cass is more reputable. In my opinion, IFRM at Cass is better than Economics at City, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nottingham
Reply 27
Thanks again, i was wondering wetherbor not getting a Msc at a target will increase my chances or not?
Also are you interested in banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it probably would, but you'd want to get on as many internships/spring weeks etc. as you can during your degree so that you can apply for tonnes of good jobs before you apply for your masters.

And I'm a graduate :tongue:
Original post by will2348
The majority of employers view and treat Cass and City differently in my experience, yes. And Cass is more reputable. In my opinion, IFRM at Cass is better than Economics at City, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But don't you think the course a bit too specific? It sounds like a moudle
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
But don't you think the course a bit too specific? It sounds like a moudle

I mean, yeah, it is specific. But that's the point of it. It's for people who are interested in that stuff and want to learn it specifically. You will have tons of quantitative and transferable skills from it and plenty of electives to choose from. I agree, it is a more specific career-focussed degree. If we're talking IB, then IFRM at Cass > Economics at City by a fair bit in my opinion.
Reply 30
Does anybody know which banks, if any, artend careers events at nottinghan compared to CASS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend's brother is a very successful IB and he studied at Nottingham University.

It's a top Russell Group university, which is what employers in IB tend to look for.
Original post by Iamyourfather
My friend's brother is a very successful IB and he studied at Nottingham University.

It's a top Russell Group university, which is what employers in IB tend to look for.

Big up Nottz :P
Does anybody know which banks, if any, artend careers events at nottinghan compared to CASS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Barcays and RBS always floating about. In addition to that; Goldman, BAML, Citi and ICAP to name a few. This is for Nottz.
Nottingham will definitely be a lot more fun and you are likely to have a better social life whilst there. It's also more of a key hiring institution than Cass for banks and other city firms in case you change your career path.

Both uni's have brilliant finance and investment societies which will be very useful. Make sure you think about the decision carefully - London student life compared to Nottingham campus life will be VERY different. I would say try and have a few nights out in each city if you haven't already.
Reply 35
This is abit late but how lenient do you think cass are, do you think they will consider AAB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
I am in second year of Economics at Nottingham and have been offered 10 weeks Internship at JP Morgan (Operations), next Sumnmers. I have appeared in Assessment centre for ICAP as well and awaiting results. I have no idea how you guy rate Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending