The Student Room Group

How is the current job market for Pharmacists?

As the title says, how is the current job market for Pharmacy graduates? Any horror stories/words of wisdom about the Pharmacy career anybody would like to share?
Original post by Haque95
As the title says, how is the current job market for Pharmacy graduates? Any horror stories/words of wisdom about the Pharmacy career anybody would like to share?

13,000 pharmacies in the UK, 2500 pharmacy students graduating each year. You do the maths.
Reply 2
Original post by pharmasaurus
13,000 pharmacies in the UK, 2500 pharmacy students graduating each year. You do the maths.

13,000/2,500= Nearing Approximation= 5 times more places for Pharmaist..
Original post by Type 052D
13,000/2,500= Nearing Approximation= 5 times more places for Pharmaist..

You honestly don't think these pharmacies currently have pharmacists already working for them???
Reply 4
Original post by pharmasaurus
You honestly don't think these pharmacies currently have pharmacists already working for them???

Doh!
Reply 5
The situation isn't great at the moment. When I graduated jobs were easy to come by and there were pages of recruitment adverts. Now many NHS trusts have a recruitment freeze, in community many companies are reducing their recruitment. This year the lowest number of pre-regs in many years have been offered permanent positions in the companies they are currently working for.

Take any chance you can to gain experience that would help you have the edge in applications.

Meant to add there has been much debate recently about reducing the number of University places available to study pharmacy because of the reduction in the number of jobs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by shonaT
The situation isn't great at the moment. When I graduated jobs were easy to come by and there were pages of recruitment adverts. Now many NHS trusts have a recruitment freeze, in community many companies are reducing their recruitment. This year the lowest number of pre-regs in many years have been offered permanent positions in the companies they are currently working for.

Take any chance you can to gain experience that would help you have the edge in applications.

Meant to add there has been much debate recently about reducing the number of University places available to study pharmacy because of the reduction in the number of jobs.

It's not just the Pharmacy industry which is hard hit by the economic recession and NHS budget cuts. I remember how easier getting into Medicine was for my older Brothers and cousins compared to these days. Someone I know has got 3 A* and got rejected from Uni of Leicester, Sheffield, and Liverpool.
Reply 7
An major advantage of an Pharmacy is that you can get jobs abroad in rich Gulf nations or Anglo-Saxon nations like USA and Australia.
Reply 8
Original post by Type 052D
An major advantage of an Pharmacy is that you can get jobs abroad in rich Gulf nations or Anglo-Saxon nations like USA and Australia.

Be careful about where you are thinking of going. The MPharm will not be sufficient in the US as they do a PharmD (doctorate), and our course is not considered equivalent. Also the employment situation there is much worse than here.

Go to a decent pharmacy school, get work experience, work hard, do well on your placements and you'll get a job. It's really not as bad as everyone makes out, no it is not a 'guaranteed' job anymore, but it has a MUCH better graduate employment rate than most degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending