The Student Room Group

Medicine re-applicant: Oxford or Cambridge?

Hey :smile:

Having been rejected from all 4 places for medicine this year, I'm now planning a gap year and am thinking of maybe applying to Oxford or Cambridge. I applied to Oxford this year and was rejected pre interview due to a poor BMAT score, and am not sure if I should re-apply there or apply to Cambridge instead this time round. My stats are:

GCSE: 9A*

AS-level:
Biology A (93%)
Chemistry A (87%)
Physics A (84%)
Maths A (99%)
Critical Thinking A (89%)

A2-level predictions: 5 A*

My overall UMS% from the 3 most relevant subjects is 88% which is obviously not as high as most successful Cambridge applicants and will put me at a disadvantage. However, I understand that a greater proportion of people at Cambridge are interviewed and I am to believe that the ratio of applicants: places is lower at Cambridge and a low(ish) BMAT score won't rule me out completely for interview like at Oxford. Another thing which I know may sound stupid and shouldn't be really taken into account, is that almost every friend/family friend who applied for medicine at Oxbridge, applied to Cambridge over Oxford and is currently there now so I'm thinking I could use that to my advantage for tips/advice etc.

On the other hand though, I know that Oxford take GCSE pA* into account a lot, they wouldn't see my AS module scores and if I were to get a good BMAT score then I would have a greater chance here?

Sorry as I know there are lots of posts like this but any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloeee172

Having been rejected from all 4 places for medicine this year, I'm now planning a gap year and am thinking of maybe applying to Oxford or Cambridge. I applied to Oxford this year and was rejected pre interview due to a poor BMAT score, and am not sure if I should re-apply there or apply to Cambridge instead this time round. My stats are:

GCSE: 12.5 A* 1A

AS-level:
Biology A (93%)
Chemistry A (87%)
Physics A (84%)
Art A (99%)

My overall UMS% from the 3 most relevant subjects is 88% which is obviously not as high as most successful Cambridge applicants and will put me at a disadvantage. However, I understand that a greater proportion of people at Cambridge are interviewed and I am to believe that the ratio of applicants: places is lower at Cambridge and a low(ish) BMAT score won't rule me out completely for interview like at Oxford. Another thing which I know may sound stupid and shouldn't be really taken into account, is that almost every friend/family friend who applied for medicine at Oxbridge, applied to Cambridge over Oxford and is currently there now so I'm thinking I could use that to my advantage for tips/advice etc.

On the other hand though, I know that Oxford take GCSE pA* into account a lot, they wouldn't see my AS module scores and if I were to get a good BMAT score then I would have a greater chance here?

Sorry as I know there are lots of posts like this but any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I would wait to see what your A2 marks are like. Ofcourse your grades are good but 87% in AS chemistry really is substandard for a medical applicant. I'd re-apply to Cambridge if your A2 UMS is 95%+ and Oxford otherwise. Why the insistence on Oxbridge?
Reply 2
Original post by Extricated
I would wait to see what your A2 marks are like. Ofcourse your grades are good but 87% in AS chemistry really is substandard for a medical applicant. I'd re-apply to Cambridge if your A2 UMS is 95%+ and Oxford otherwise. Why the insistence on Oxbridge?

I emailed Cambridge and they said they would only look at AS marks so that it is fair when compared to school leavers who don't have A2s/ achieved grades, unfortunately meaning that high A2 UMS wouldn't be able to over-rule my lower AS UMS :frown:

I would very very happily go to any other place (that will take me!) but I just prefer their traditional teaching style, and I also love both cities.

AS-level:
Biology A (93%)
Chemistry A (87%)
Physics A (84%)
Art A (99%)

I'm really sorry to hear that someone who has as good grades as yourself didn't even get an offer from any uni :frown: ... i guess it reflects how competitive Medicine is...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

AS-level:
Biology A (93%)
Chemistry A (87%)
Physics A (84%)
Art A (99%)

Your grades are insanely good. Although it's not useful advice, really, I'd say pick whichever you prefer as a university - it won't make a world of difference.
I emailed Cambridge and they said they would only look at AS marks so that it is fair when compared to school leavers who don't have A2s/ achieved grades, unfortunately meaning that high A2 UMS wouldn't be able to over-rule my lower AS UMS :frown:

I would very very happily go to any other place (that will take me!) but I just prefer their traditional teaching style, and I also love both cities.

Was that a specific college admissions or general admissions?
I don't know what the competitiveness like is for Medicine, but surely if your A-Levels come out at A*A*A*A* despite having a few mid 80%s at AS, they'd look at your A2 grades?
I'd really question this further before giving up. Contact a few colleges and ask their opinions - the university is so big, advice may vary.
I am in the same boat as you.

Got 9A*s at GCSE, 4As at AS, predictions of 4A*s at A2 with a UKCAT of 707, and got 4 rejections. It really is tough.

I am on the waiting list for one of my unis. However I'm planning what I'll do if that doesn't work out. Thinking I'm going to apply to Cambridge as I have a average UMS of 98%.

It depends on which college you apply to, but I wouldn't apply to Cambridge at all if your average AS UMS is less than 90%. To be honest if you achieve 5A*s at A2 they may ignore this however as they consider all applicants on an individual basis, there's no standard way in which they assess applicants. Although a good BMAT would be required, particularly in secton 2 (the science section).

I'd say do a bit of college specific research, then apply to your strengths. Oxford will value your GCSEs more than Cambridge, so take that in to consideration. Definitely work on that BMAT score too.
Reply 7
Original post by awilson008

Got 9A*s at GCSE, 4As at AS, predictions of 4A*s at A2 with a UKCAT of 707, and got 4 rejections. It really is tough.

I am on the waiting list for one of my unis. However I'm planning what I'll do if that doesn't work out. Thinking I'm going to apply to Cambridge as I have a average UMS of 98%.

It depends on which college you apply to, but I wouldn't apply to Cambridge at all if your average AS UMS is less than 90%. To be honest if you achieve 5A*s at A2 they may ignore this however as they consider all applicants on an individual basis, there's no standard way in which they assess applicants. Although a good BMAT would be required, particularly in secton 2 (the science section).

I'd say do a bit of college specific research, then apply to your strengths. Oxford will value your GCSEs more than Cambridge, so take that in to consideration. Definitely work on that BMAT score too.

I was under the impression that Cam would look at your A2 results as a reapplicant as they are a more recent reflection on your academic ability. I agree with hogwartian, check out other colleges b/c AFAIK they look at your A2s instead of AS if you are a reapplicant. I know someone who applied after a gap year and improved his UMS massively, so I definitely wouldnt rule out Cam. But don't limit yourself, and try and find somewhere you genuinely want to live and study for the next five years, instead of an entirely tactical application.

I think your best chance is to really focus on these exams and then see what happens from there.

Good luck hope it goes well!
Reply 8
I think like others have said, if you are set on Oxbridge then Oxford is your best bet, due to your high A* ratio
Good luck to you, I am sure an excellent candidate like you has a place somewhere for them in medicine!

I am applying this year for medicine, reading all this is making really nervous, any of you guys got any advice on mistakes I can avoid?
In your situation, if Cambridge said they'd be looking at your AS marks, I'd probably apply to Oxford. I think an average UMS of 88% would be pretty difficult to overcome for Cambridge.
Reply 10
Original post by hogwartian1993
Was that a specific college admissions or general admissions?
I don't know what the competitiveness like is for Medicine, but surely if your A-Levels come out at A*A*A*A* despite having a few mid 80%s at AS, they'd look at your A2 grades?
I'd really question this further before giving up. Contact a few colleges and ask their opinions - the university is so big, advice may vary.

Original post by Caitlin_dj
I was under the impression that Cam would look at your A2 results as a reapplicant as they are a more recent reflection on your academic ability. I agree with hogwartian, check out other colleges b/c AFAIK they look at your A2s instead of AS if you are a reapplicant. I know someone who applied after a gap year and improved his UMS massively, so I definitely wouldnt rule out Cam. But don't limit yourself, and try and find somewhere you genuinely want to live and study for the next five years, instead of an entirely tactical application.

I think your best chance is to really focus on these exams and then see what happens from there.

Good luck hope it goes well!

Thanks for the advice guys - I emailed specific colleges and the ones that got back to me said they do actually look at the average across ALL AS and A2 modules taken so you were right :smile: Guess I'll take what the colleges say over the general Cambridge admissions...I'll need to work hard on my A2s and see if I can improve my UMS enough to have a chance at Cambridge!
Reply 11
Original post by awilson008

Wow, those stats are amazing and I'm insanely jealous of your 98% average! Sorry to hear you got 4 rejections as well, it really is tough :frown: What uni are you on the waiting list for? Good luck for that but otherwise what are you planning on doing in your gap year?

Original post by amood00
I think like others have said, if you are set on Oxbridge then Oxford is your best bet, due to your high A* ratio
Good luck to you, I am sure an excellent candidate like you has a place somewhere for them in medicine!

I am applying this year for medicine, reading all this is making really nervous, any of you guys got any advice on mistakes I can avoid?

Thanks very much :smile:

I think a massive thing I learnt from this year is to research a lot into different unis and what they want, apply to your strengths and have at least one 'back-up' (may sound stupid considering med is so ridiculously competitive, but by that I mean one where you kind of 'know' you might get an interview. Obviously it depends on your UKCAT and other stats, but I wouldn't hedge my bets with a personal-statement uni for example, unless you know your personal statement is amazing).

Also I applied to 3 BMAT unis - BIG BIG mistake as I royally messed it up and that was it, 3 unis out the window, no interviews whatsoever. My thought at the time of not taking the UKCAT was that I would be able to spend more time revising for the BMAT, which I did - I worked my ass off for it, I just don't know what happened in the exam. Not to scare you off the BMAT - I would just say put down a max. of 2 BMAT unis so at least you have your other 2 if it doesn't go to plan.

Also I don't know if you have or haven't already, but get voluntary work sorted early. I wrote in my personal statement that I was 'organising some voluntary work to start soon' but there were some problems with the place I was going to go and it ended up not getting done until only about a few weeks ago. I was in a mad panic at the time wondering what I'd say if I got an interview and they asked about the volunteering...

Wow, looking back on that I made a lottt of mistakes...guess I kinda understand why I got 4 rejections :')
Reply 12
Oxford if your GCSE percentage is above 90% which with 12.5A*'s 1A it is.
Reply 13
if I were to get a good BMAT score then I would have a greater chance here?

This is the sticking point isn't it?! Even with your pA*, only a bit over half get an interview. It will all come down to the BMAT :yes:
Reply 14
Hi sorry to but-in to this thread but I have a few related questions.

For clarification, How do both oxford and cambridge assess your academics for medicine if you apply with your alevel results(A2s) in the bag e.g. you have already got A*AA?

Also do oxford at all consider contextual data when looking ay A* percentage e.g. I go to a state school, 180 in a year that at GCSE got 99% A*-C, but average grades were Bs and so would that counter balance me getting third best results in the year but they were 7a* 4As and a B. 58%A*

The reason I ask all of this is I would have never considered oxbridge due to wanting to medicine and also bit fearful of the prestige and stereotypes. However I have just come back from A residential at cambridge and loved it, totally made me want to apply because of the collegiate system and the tutorials etc and it broke the stereotypes.

But the reason why I am unconfident of doing well for ASs is that I ve done january exams and got 4As but with average of 82% maths 93%bio and 86% chem, which are good but not near the >95% that cam want.

So I have been concidering taking a gap year and applying with A2s in the bag as my bio/chem teachers both think i could definitely get A* if i worked hard so If iwas to get A*A*A-A*AA at A2 and apply would i have a better chance of getting in ?

Sorry for the long essay :P

Thanks in advance.
Reply 15
Original post by nexttime
This is the sticking point isn't it?! Even with your pA*, only a bit over half get an interview. It will all come down to the BMAT :yes:

After taking the BMAT this year and getting 3 of my rejections because my score was below average, I completely understand how important it is. What I think I meant to say is, which uni takes the BMAT into account more? I've come to understand that because Oxford base 50% of getting an interview or not on the BMAT, and they also interview fewer people (33% chance of getting an offer from interview I've heard?) then if you get a good BMAT score then it's kinda 'easier' from then on. Whereas, Cambridge interview so many more, that BMAT counts less.

I think...

Original post by t()m

For clarification, How do both oxford and cambridge assess your academics for medicine if you apply with your alevel results(A2s) in the bag e.g. you have already got A*AA?

Also do oxford at all consider contextual data when looking ay A* percentage e.g. I go to a state school, 180 in a year that at GCSE got 99% A*-C, but average grades were Bs and so would that counter balance me getting third best results in the year but they were 7a* 4As and a B. 58%A*

The reason I ask all of this is I would have never considered oxbridge due to wanting to medicine and also bit fearful of the prestige and stereotypes. However I have just come back from A residential at cambridge and loved it, totally made me want to apply because of the collegiate system and the tutorials etc and it broke the stereotypes.

But the reason why I am unconfident of doing well for ASs is that I ve done january exams and got 4As but with average of 82% maths 93%bio and 86% chem, which are good but not near the >95% that cam want.

So I have been concidering taking a gap year and applying with A2s in the bag as my bio/chem teachers both think i could definitely get A* if i worked hard so If iwas to get A*A*A-A*AA at A2 and apply would i have a better chance of getting in ?

Thanks in advance.

From what I've heard (may not all be correct):

Oxford treat gap year applicants the same as school leavers, so I wouldn't really say that having achieved A-levels is an advantage. Of course if you do more A* then they probably would take that into account. Cambridge treat gap year applicants the same as well I think, but most school leavers who get offers get more than just A*AA, so they would expect that from you as well. It does get taken into account.

Yes Oxford do look at your GCSEs compared to the average of your year at school, but looking at the statistical data on their website, most people with interviews/offers have > 90% A*s at GCSE. But it doesn't mention anything about contextual data so I'm not really sure on that one.

If you do like Oxbridge then I would say go for it - most important thing is to ace the BMAT and then you'll stand a good chance. I know of someone whose teacher told him it was risky of him to apply to Cambridge because of his GCSEs and A-levels, but then did well in the BMAT and got as far as an interview. Then there was someone else who had good GCSEs and A-levels but completely failed the BMAT and so got rejected straight away.

Have you got any offers this year though? Are you thinking about a gap year just so you can apply to Oxbridge next year? I might re-think that if you have some offers from good places that you would also enjoy going to, but if you really are set on Oxbridge then go for it :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by t()m

Thanks in advance.

I can't give well-sourced answers for most of your questions. What i will say though, is that whilst your schools isn't quite Eton, a 99% 5A*-C rate does makes your schools one of the very best state schools in the country. You are unlikely to get any significant leeway just because of that.

I've come to understand that because Oxford base 50% of getting an interview or not on the BMAT, and they also interview fewer people (33% chance of getting an offer from interview I've heard?) then if you get a good BMAT score then it's kinda 'easier' from then on. Whereas, Cambridge interview so many more, that BMAT counts less.

Oxford interviews a smaller proportion of its applicants yes, and hence BMAT scores of successful applicants do tend to be slightly higher. However, both Oxford and Cambridge interview about 3.5 applicants per place still. Its just that Oxford gets a lot more applicants (or more accurately, gets the same number of applicants for half as many places).
Reply 17

With those A*s and a good personality, Birmingham would most definitely take you!
If I were you as a reapplicant, I wouldn't bother with either if you've tried it once before.

Again, this is merely my opinion but I would focus on carefully selecting 4 universities that would be guaranteed interviews. With GCSE's like yours, places like Birmingham, Liverpool etc would very likely interview you.

With 5 A2's - Barts would be a clever choice

If you get a good UKCAT score (roughly>690) alongside your GCSE's - Kings, Leicester would be great choices.

Obviously you're entitled to go whatever you feel is best, but I just know some incredible applicants who applied to BMAT universities both cycles and were rejected when they had great shots at other med schools.

All the best :smile:
Reply 19

From what I've heard (may not all be correct):

Oxford treat gap year applicants the same as school leavers, so I wouldn't really say that having achieved A-levels is an advantage. Of course if you do more A* then they probably would take that into account. Cambridge treat gap year applicants the same as well I think, but most school leavers who get offers get more than just A*AA, so they would expect that from you as well. It does get taken into account.

Yes Oxford do look at your GCSEs compared to the average of your year at school, but looking at the statistical data on their website, most people with interviews/offers have > 90% A*s at GCSE. But it doesn't mention anything about contextual data so I'm not really sure on that one.

If you do like Oxbridge then I would say go for it - most important thing is to ace the BMAT and then you'll stand a good chance. I know of someone whose teacher told him it was risky of him to apply to Cambridge because of his GCSEs and A-levels, but then did well in the BMAT and got as far as an interview. Then there was someone else who had good GCSEs and A-levels but completely failed the BMAT and so got rejected straight away.

Have you got any offers this year though? Are you thinking about a gap year just so you can apply to Oxbridge next year? I might re-think that if you have some offers from good places that you would also enjoy going to, but if you really are set on Oxbridge then go for it :smile:

Hi I'm in year 12 sorry forgot to mention that, So I'm deciding whether I should apply for OXbridge and whether it would be best to apply with achieved grades as I am uncertain about my AS UMS/GCSEs being good enough. The module results I mentioned were my january AS results. I do go to a good state school however, its results aren't the best. whilst on this cambridge residential last week, i was talking to few people and some mentioned that it was the normal for their school to get several people into Oxbridge and the average gcses grade were around that of mine. So basically your saying oxford don't differ if you have grades in the bag. Also how does there admissions work you get an interview depending on your GCSE A* % and BMAT score?. Is it more a coincidence that those with offers have 90%A* or is actually like, they operate a cut off?.

Do you know how influential the contextual data is? e.g. would mine be counterbalance to become competitive or not?

Do you know if cambridge treat gap year student as the same as those who are school leavers ? like you say oxford do. yeah I hear that BMAT is maker/breaker.

Original post by nexttime
I can't give well-sourced answers for most of your questions. What i will say though, is that whilst your schools isn't quite Eton, a 99% 5A*-C rate does makes your schools one of the very best state schools in the country. You are unlikely to get any significant leeway just because of that.

Yeah I know I go to a good school but because of the fact the school has to band us when we apply in year 6, there is a wide range of abilities and so the average grade will be low Bs. But I totally understand what your saying its more because the majority of oxbridge applicants are from independent/grammar schools where my grades would be achieved by the majority of the cohort.

Oxford interviews a smaller proportion of its applicants yes, and hence BMAT scores of successful applicants do tend to be slightly higher. However, both Oxford and Cambridge interview about 3.5 applicants per place still. Its just that Oxford gets a lot more applicants (or more accurately, gets the same number of applicants for half as many places).

Thanks both for your replies :smile:

Also what is actually considered a competitive BMAT Score for Oxbridge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending