The Student Room Group

A Level Options

I hope to do Law or Politics at university and I have chosen to do English Lit, History, Maths and Sociology at a level. Are these a levels okay for getting into a top Russell Group uni like the LSE or Durham? Does it matter that sociology isn't as respected as my other options even if i still get an A in the subject?
Original post by Karl Marx's Cat
I hope to do Law or Politics at university and I have chosen to do English Lit, History, Maths and Sociology at a level. Are these a levels okay for getting into a top Russell Group uni like the LSE or Durham? Does it matter that sociology isn't as respected as my other options even if i still get an A in the subject?

they're fine, if you're still worried at the end of AS, you might want to drop sociology because maths, history and english lit are fine :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Karl Marx's Cat

They are excellent choices for a russell group uni. If you have the baccalaureate at GCSE you will be in even better stead. You have chosen three facilitating subjects (english, maths, history) and one non facilitating subject. They all relate well to the course that you would like to take. Little word of advice, when applying to a russell group uni, make sure your personal statement is really good and ALWAYS apply to oxbridge! Even if you don't get in or even an interview, the fact that you have applied and your UCAS goes in early (15th october) makes them think that you are an excellent student and they will be far more likely to give you conditional offers (My sister did this and actually ended up getting accepted into cambridge as well as her four other uni choices, so it doesn't hurt). lots of hard work and dedication will pay off! Good luck!
Yeah those choices look fine to me. If you need to drop after AS level, make sure its sociology though, because the other three are somewhat better respected. I'm sure they will appreciate that you have a "blend" of subjects however. As above says, always apply to UCAS early, statistically those who apply early have the highest offer rate (make of that stat what you will,) and also make sure you do a Politics EPQ, my University dropped my offer by a grade on the basis of my EPQ, it makes you look really interested on your UCAS statement, and it didn't even take that much effort compared to an AS level. And don't worry if you don't have the Baccalaurette at GCSE, its a load of BS. I know plenty of people with 13 or more GCSEs who didn't get the Baccalaurette.
Original post by jumblehunter
Yeah those choices look fine to me. If you need to drop after AS level, make sure its sociology though, because the other three are somewhat better respected. I'm sure they will appreciate that you have a "blend" of subjects however. As above says, always apply to UCAS early, statistically those who apply early have the highest offer rate (make of that stat what you will,) and also make sure you do a Politics EPQ, my University dropped my offer by a grade on the basis of my EPQ, it makes you look really interested on your UCAS statement, and it didn't even take that much effort compared to an AS level. And don't worry if you don't have the Baccalaurette at GCSE, its a load of BS. I know plenty of people with 13 or more GCSEs who didn't get the Baccalaurette.

Out of interest which university lowered your offer because of your EPQ? Thanks
Original post by audi_turbo
Out of interest which university lowered your offer because of your EPQ? Thanks

Bath. Although I've heard from friends that Sheffield also give reduced offers for EPQ. If you plan on applying to either, its definitely worth doing. Even if you don't its still worth doing, it gives you lots to talk about on UCAS forms, sponsorship forms (you don't want to pay a full £9000 in tuition fees do you?) and in interviews, and it takes maybe 2-3 hours a week.
Reply 6
They're fine :smile:. I did the EPQ, H&S, Geography, Economics and Biology. I hold an offer from Cambridge to do Law, and H&S is even less respected than Sociology. You'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending