The Student Room Group

Is public transport REALLY a no-go place to approach women?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yeah, because I for one am in no way creeped out by random guy spilling his drink all over my brand new bag.

Obviously I'd make it look like an accident, and avoid spilling it over parts of your body that would piss you off, like your face. Furthermore, unless you a buy new bag every week it's not a "brand new bag" :smile: What's creepy about an apparent accident? Nothing.
I was on the train to London for a uni convention type thing, and I got a bit lost, so I asked a guy at the platform for some help. I happened to be in the right place, so said thank you, but he kept chatting to me. So we talked, and it turned out that we were going to the same place, and lived in the same area. We're now really good friends :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
Is it really the worst place to approach women? Is there a way of ever doing it without feeling awkward and making her feel very awkward? It's frustrating because everyday you have to use this and you're surrounded by women you find attractive all the time, though its the most depressing place ever (just look at the drivers and conductors - they're miserable as hell)

I find that the only way people ever talk on public transport is if something bad happens (e.g. An accident), but you can't go causing them haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lots of widows take transatlantic crossings on the Queen Mary 2 precisely for this purpose. :tongue:
Original post by superduper9
Precisely what whatsername said! It's quite a difficult scenario in which to approach a girl. More often than not, they're not expecting to be chatted up when travelling on buses or trains. They may be also in a rush to get to work/uni/college or be really tired after a long hard day!

There are some girls, however, who are quite happy to start chatting. I find it comes down to a bit of luck. In another thread, I wrote that girls who do want train romances should make themselves more approachable by smiling, eye contact, right body language etc. Before I approach a girl, I would look for these tell tale signs before saying those all important first few words! You can often gauge from eye contact and the response you get when you smile at a girl if she would welcome a conversation.

I find that its easier to approach a girl who is a regular on the same train journey as you. This has happened to me once; this girl used to get the same train as me pretty much every day. After a few days of smiling, eye contact and pleasantries, I was able to say "how was work today .... what do you do" and it just went from there. That was a relatively smooth route to striking a conversation because I had seen her a few times. So personally, I tend to approach girls I have seen a couple of times, otherwise chatting up someone on a train that you've just come across is a bit too random, unless they're drop dead gorgeous!

You remember that guy on the news that punched a girl in the back of the head? He said he did it because she gave him a bad look.

On the bus in London, there was a guy who kept looking at me in a weird way so I smiled at him out of fear in case he thought I was giving him a dirty look. :frown: The rest of the journey he approached me and asked me many personal questions that I felt uncomfortable answering until eventually I apologised and told him I had to get off, and then I walked all the way home from there.

Basically I think if anyone wants to be chatted up they would go to places that are especially designed for that (social places like clubs etc). Buses are places where people who don't have enough money for private transportation go because they are hoping to get from point A to point B, not because they want someone to chat them up.

I would usually say that smiling is a good indication that she's comfortable/wants to be approached, but this guy ruined this notion for me too. :frown:
Original post by James A
You do get some pretty ladies on the underground, not that I have made an attempt to talk to one!

I think it is a no-go area myself. I had some envious looks when one of the instructors (blonde, attractive, early 20s) I knew from the gym I used to belong to got on and started a conversation as we knew each other.
I met my ex on a train back from birmingham but then I went over started chatting to him
Original post by Mycroft Holmes
Obviously I'd make it look like an accident, and avoid spilling it over parts of your body that would piss you off, like your face. Furthermore, unless you a buy new bag every week it's not a "brand new bag" :smile: What's creepy about an apparent accident? Nothing.

To be fair, I guess it would depend on how obvious it was. I mean if he just hurled a cup of coffee all over me and followed it up with "oh, soz, how you doin' anyway?", you know, that might be a bit of a giveaway and yeah, I might feel slightly creeped by that. :rolleyes:
I've made friends with people and ****ed people that I met on trains and in airports/on planes.

So long as you're not acting really creepy then it's no different to meeting someone anywhere else.
Original post by Dragonfly07
You remember that guy on the news that punched a girl in the back of the head? He said he did it because she gave him a bad look.

I didn't read about this!

Original post by Dragonfly07
On the bus in London, there was a guy who kept looking at me in a weird way so I smiled at him out of fear in case he thought I was giving him a dirty look. :frown: The rest of the journey he approached me and asked me many personal questions that I felt uncomfortable answering until eventually I apologised and told him I had to get off, and then I walked all the way home from there.

I would usually say that smiling is a good indication that she's comfortable/wants to be approached, but this guy ruined this notion for me too. :frown:

Sorry to hear that - it sounds terrible. I sometimes forget that there are some right weirdos on buses and on the streets! This is precisely why I'm not a huge fan of approaching girls on streets or public transport - you never know if she has had a bad experience like you. The only 2 times I make an exception are if, like I said, I see the girl regularly or she is drop dead gorgeous, in which case I feel as though I shouldn't miss my chance!

I guess as a girl though, you have to be careful who you smile at - you don't want to attract the wrong sort of attention.
I fall in love with random strangers on public strangers on public transport, usually due to loving the book they're reading and thinking they have damn cool hair.
So no I wouldn't mind at all, plus a smile from a stranger would be a welcome change from the usual grimace of utter melancholy we british seem to adopt in any moving vehicle :tongue:
Saw this cute guy on the train from Brum to Derby a couple of months ago, let him stand where I'd been as he had a huge suitcase and we were exchanging smiles for half the trip... wish I'd had the courage to talk to him lol! :tongue:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yeah, because I for one am in no way creeped out by random guy spilling his drink all over my brand new bag.

So if Ryan Reynolds lookalike does that....i doubt you will be creeped out....more like swept off your feet :tongue:
Original post by James A
You do get some pretty ladies on the underground, not that I have made an attempt to talk to one!

You would be surprised, our culture is very different to that in other countries if you have noticed. In other places its quite normal to start up a conversation in a public place with a stranger. London is of course probably the worst place to do that, everyone is in a foul mood and just wanting to get to where they need to.
Original post by SloaneRanger
You would be surprised, our culture is very different to that in other countries if you have noticed. In other places its quite normal to start up a conversation in a public place with a stranger. London is of course probably the worst place to do that, everyone is in a foul mood and just wanting to get to where they need to.

Yeah, also Londoners are the type to walk past an injured person on a platform without helping, although you will get the one or two that will help :tongue:

I'm a Londoner myself :colondollar:
Original post by James A
Yeah, also Londoners are the type to walk past an injured person on a platform without helping, although you will get the one or two that will help :tongue:

I'm a Londoner myself :colondollar:

True say, its good to have a social conscience towards others, but as you say the genuine consensus is to just casually walk on.

Having said that, if you consider long/short haul flights.....fantastic place to strike up a conversation with someone...you be surprised the kind of people you meet.....yeah you meet some incredibly good looking women :wink:....good to carry a business card....:cool:
True say, its good to have a social conscience towards others, but as you say the genuine consensus is to just casually walk on.

Having said that, if you consider long/short haul flights.....fantastic place to strike up a conversation with someone...you be surprised the kind of people you meet.....yeah you meet some incredibly good looking women :wink:....good to carry a business card....:cool:

Business card loool, make sure you keep at least 10 on you :wink:
Original post by James A
Business card loool, make sure you keep at least 10 on you :wink:

Haha, its a good way though, especially in public without going to do a whole massive intro, because soon as someone sees a corporate logo etc. Its natural to find out like on facebook who this person is.....you again be surprised how people just add you etc and start up a conversation that way again....its creating a "cold lead" into a "warm" one.
Haha, its a good way though, especially in public without going to do a whole massive intro, because soon as someone sees a corporate logo etc. Its natural to find out like on facebook who this person is.....you again be surprised how people just add you etc and start up a conversation that way again....its creating a "cold lead" into a "warm" one.

Really? So have you had ladies add you after giving them the business card?

haha, legend, I need to try that.

So how do you approach the girl, do you talk about something like, 'how long you been waiting for a train'? (even though tube trains are like every minute).
Reply 38
Original post by datpiff
Is it really the worst place to approach women?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the worst place to approach women is a public TOILET. Wrong on so many levels.
Original post by James A
Really? So have you had ladies add you after giving them the business card?

haha, legend, I need to try that.

So how do you approach the girl, do you talk about something like, 'how long you been waiting for a train'? (even though tube trains are like every minute).

You shouldn't be afraid, what have you go to lose? Someone throwing it away, you still have to do your stationary order in the first place... you might as well put it to good use, to benefit yourself.... If you notice with most people, if theres something for you to give, someone else is happy to receive that, whether its goods or a service. Of course it helps if you make a girl smile or laugh in the first instance though....that ice breaker. Ive never done it on the platform, but on coming back from KCL, had someone women sitting next to me mid 20s (good looking), see my KCL Geog soc jumper and said she did geography at UCL....gave her my card and she sent me a essays she done from years ago.... some were useful as a template.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending