The Student Room Group

I don't find anything interesting in life?

I am 18. I am a pretty easy going, normal guy. However there is nothing in life I particularly enjoy. I have no hobbies, I have no interests, there is nothing which really pleases me. I wouldn't say I am sad or miserable. Basically most things I find are 'ok' - not good but not bad.

Another thing is, I get bored of things very quickly. It starts off as alright and then becomes repetitive, too common, a routine, the same each day etc and I just fancy a change. Then if I get a change, eventually this thing which is new will get old and I would want something else new. This would then get old and the cycle will repeat over and over again.

For example, this may sound really shallow but it even applies to friendships and relationships. I have met some people who seem cool and I like spending time with them, but then after getting to know them, maybe a little while later I just feel every time I see them it is the same, I am bored of our conversations or the jokes, they just become boring people even though I once thought they were cool. Sometimes I get a massive crush on a girl, I will ask them out and I get bored of being in a relationship with the girl (not trying to sound arrogant). Or sometimes it is just a massive crush on a girl and the massive crush will go pretty fast and I will probably either hate the girl or just find her 'ok' (but nothing more).

In terms of hobbies, I don't like reading, i don't like watching movies, i don't really like sports (i only do some sports to remain healthy and not for enjoyment purposes).

I even went travelling for 4 and a half months round South East Asia. Everyone I met said it was the best thing of their lives, once in a lifetime, absolutely incredible and the best thing they have done, best decision they made, lifechanging experience blah blah blah. For me, it was just ok. I mean, it was a long time, i did some things which i guess were fairly cool and others things which weren't, but it was no different from being home really. When I was travelling I kind of missed just sitting there watching TV or playing on the xbox. But now I am back home and I think to myself 'why am i playing on the xbox.... it is not real life and isnt going to benefit me in any way. It just kills the time i guess'. Same applies with the TV.

When there are a group of people, everyone wants to meet each other and become friends. To be honest, I really cant be bothered. It is not that I am anti social but I just don't see the point in talking and making friends. What does it really achieve? What is the point of talking? You are just moving your mouth. It is a waste of breath. At the same time though I wouldn't say i am an introvert. I can be the loud guy if i wanted but a lot of the time i am too lazy to be bothered to do this/move my mouth, i can be the super quiet guy mostly because i just dont feel the need to make friends, i can be the clever guy, the dumb guy, the funny guy, the serious guy - it all depends who i want to be with that social group.

I don't know if i am lost, i don't know who i am deep down, i think i may be confused. I don't know what i like really and don't know what i want in life. As i said i am a pretty simple guy. I think i just want to get married one day, have kids and thats pretty much it. I don't feel the need to do anything spectacular. Just be your standard 'joe' you will meet. Not really friendly, not really unfriendly. Just standard, normal, average etc.

It is the same when I have had jobs (only part time ones). I have never found any of the jobs I have done any fun. I could never say I enjoyed them. But at the same time i never did not enjoy them. I just did them and got on with it.

I am going off to University in September and I know some people are worried they won't settle in, make friends etc. For me I pretty much don't care if I get there and become the 'cool' guy or the guy with no friends. It doesn't bother me slightly.

Sometimes after work, I will get home and just not know what to do. I have nothing to please me after work. No sort of hobbies. Nothing I will actually enjoy or find interesting.But at the same time I wouldn't be bored or angry. I just need something to keep me busy for a few hours until i can sleep again and start the next day off the exact same way.

Scroll to see replies

Make a list of life goals (what you want from your career/relationships etc.). Think big. Then figure out how you're going to make all that stuff you really want happen.
Reply 2
What are you studying at university? Are there no activities related to that you would be interested in doing?
You just have to force yourself to try new things if you want to find something you're passionate about. Take yourself down to freshers fair and do something you've never done before. You're not going to know if you don't try. There's bound to be something. You'll met loads of people too, I'm sure there'll be a few you get a long with at least.
Based on my own experiences that sounds like depression, I never realised that until I had a diagnosis (even then I was still skeptical) and started medication. I didn't feel completely awful but I noticed a massive difference once I started treatment.
Original post by Anonymous
Make a list of life goals (what you want from your career/relationships etc.). Think big. Then figure out how you're going to make all that stuff you really want happen.

Not sure if you read fully what I wrote but I don't really have anything I want to achieve. I don't really care too much about my career as long as I can make enough to survive comfortably on (but not in luxury).
Original post by RachaelBee
Based on my own experiences that sounds like depression, I never realised that until I had a diagnosis (even then I was still skeptical) and started medication. I didn't feel completely awful but I noticed a massive difference once I started treatment.

I've never really thought of myself as suffering from mental problems such as depression. It is just that I am perhaps 'lost' in my life and never found anything I actually am enthusiastic about.
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
Not sure if you read fully what I wrote but I don't really have anything I want to achieve. I don't really care too much about my career as long as I can make enough to survive comfortably on (but not in luxury).

Set other goals then, keep trying new things 'til you find your passion. Didn't read the OP fully, soz (it's a bit long)
Original post by tashazzz
What are you studying at university? Are there no activities related to that you would be interested in doing?
You just have to force yourself to try new things if you want to find something you're passionate about. Take yourself down to freshers fair and do something you've never done before. You're not going to know if you don't try. There's bound to be something. You'll met loads of people too, I'm sure there'll be a few you get a long with at least.

I am not at Uni yet. I will be going in mid-September to study a sport course. I've been trying lots of new things. Most of them I find either boring, pointless, just ok but at the same time not enjoyable. The only stuff I find useful is doing exercise etc just because it is good for my health and wellbeing, stops the risks of future illnesses etc. Not really because I enjoy it. I am sure there will be some people I connect with but I just don't ever really feel the need to be close to someone even though I know if I make the effort I could be. I am just as happy having no friends than making friends with them and being really close to them. I wouldn't say I am an introvert either, but not an extrovert at the same time. Personally I have always though of this introvert/extrovert, quiet/loud sort of personality stereotyping to be bull..
I've never really thought of myself as suffering from mental problems such as depression. It is just that I am perhaps 'lost' in my life and never found anything I actually am enthusiastic about.

Yep, I was the same. I actually ranted about my GP because I'd only gone there for sleeping pills and "she had the cheek to tell me I had a mental illness!".

Well what do you want to become? You're human so you will have interests, even murderers have interests; killing people.

Tbh, you sound very much like me apart from the fact that I want a high paying job in finance by the age of 30, so for now all I care about is my academic performance and the ability to gain some work experience.

I like people but I'm not clingy and I don't really like clingy people. So that rules out two things pretty much; any 'best' friends or someone with enough info to **** me over (ie no one who knows me inside out) and a relationship as they look such effort and i cba with chasing girls tbh. But if I came across a girl naturally through the course of my 'journey' then I wouldn't hesitate to make a move, I just won't purposely go out to get one.
Reply 10
I am 18. I am a pretty easy going, normal guy. However there is nothing in life I particularly enjoy. I have no hobbies, I have no interests, there is nothing which really pleases me. I wouldn't say I am sad or miserable. Basically most things I find are 'ok' - not good but not bad.

Another thing is, I get bored of things very quickly. It starts off as alright and then becomes repetitive, too common, a routine, the same each day etc and I just fancy a change. Then if I get a change, eventually this thing which is new will get old and I would want something else new. This would then get old and the cycle will repeat over and over again.

For example, this may sound really shallow but it even applies to friendships and relationships. I have met some people who seem cool and I like spending time with them, but then after getting to know them, maybe a little while later I just feel every time I see them it is the same, I am bored of our conversations or the jokes, they just become boring people even though I once thought they were cool. Sometimes I get a massive crush on a girl, I will ask them out and I get bored of being in a relationship with the girl (not trying to sound arrogant). Or sometimes it is just a massive crush on a girl and the massive crush will go pretty fast and I will probably either hate the girl or just find her 'ok' (but nothing more).

In terms of hobbies, I don't like reading, i don't like watching movies, i don't really like sports (i only do some sports to remain healthy and not for enjoyment purposes).

I even went travelling for 4 and a half months round South East Asia. Everyone I met said it was the best thing of their lives, once in a lifetime, absolutely incredible and the best thing they have done, best decision they made, lifechanging experience blah blah blah. For me, it was just ok. I mean, it was a long time, i did some things which i guess were fairly cool and others things which weren't, but it was no different from being home really. When I was travelling I kind of missed just sitting there watching TV or playing on the xbox. But now I am back home and I think to myself 'why am i playing on the xbox.... it is not real life and isnt going to benefit me in any way. It just kills the time i guess'. Same applies with the TV.

When there are a group of people, everyone wants to meet each other and become friends. To be honest, I really cant be bothered. It is not that I am anti social but I just don't see the point in talking and making friends. What does it really achieve? What is the point of talking? You are just moving your mouth. It is a waste of breath. At the same time though I wouldn't say i am an introvert. I can be the loud guy if i wanted but a lot of the time i am too lazy to be bothered to do this/move my mouth, i can be the super quiet guy mostly because i just dont feel the need to make friends, i can be the clever guy, the dumb guy, the funny guy, the serious guy - it all depends who i want to be with that social group.

I don't know if i am lost, i don't know who i am deep down, i think i may be confused. I don't know what i like really and don't know what i want in life. As i said i am a pretty simple guy. I think i just want to get married one day, have kids and thats pretty much it. I don't feel the need to do anything spectacular. Just be your standard 'joe' you will meet. Not really friendly, not really unfriendly. Just standard, normal, average etc.

It is the same when I have had jobs (only part time ones). I have never found any of the jobs I have done any fun. I could never say I enjoyed them. But at the same time i never did not enjoy them. I just did them and got on with it.

I am going off to University in September and I know some people are worried they won't settle in, make friends etc. For me I pretty much don't care if I get there and become the 'cool' guy or the guy with no friends. It doesn't bother me slightly.

Sometimes after work, I will get home and just not know what to do. I have nothing to please me after work. No sort of hobbies. Nothing I will actually enjoy or find interesting.But at the same time I wouldn't be bored or angry. I just need something to keep me busy for a few hours until i can sleep again and start the next day off the exact same way.

This makes me sad. I've met other people who lose interest in things or people quickly but they've always had something that makes them happy. Keep trying new things, maybe something unusual like an extreme sport? If not I'd consider whether you're just not allowing yourself to enjoy stuff, there must be something?!
Reply 11
I am not at Uni yet. I will be going in mid-September to study a sport course. I've been trying lots of new things. Most of them I find either boring, pointless, just ok but at the same time not enjoyable. The only stuff I find useful is doing exercise etc just because it is good for my health and wellbeing, stops the risks of future illnesses etc. Not really because I enjoy it. I am sure there will be some people I connect with but I just don't ever really feel the need to be close to someone even though I know if I make the effort I could be. I am just as happy having no friends than making friends with them and being really close to them. I wouldn't say I am an introvert either, but not an extrovert at the same time. Personally I have always though of this introvert/extrovert, quiet/loud sort of personality stereotyping to be bull..

What about business? You say you like doing things that benefit you, why not try to make yourself some money using your knowledge and skills. Sports courses don't tend to have a lot of hours in them as far as I know and if you're living in halls or whatever you could find yourself really bored unless you go out and make friends. You like playing games etc, why not recreate that in the real world? Football, go karts, laser tag, whatever it is you like doing virtually I'm sure you can find a way to make it appeal in real life.

The things you say remind me of Karl Pilkington btw :tongue:
Original post by Makebelieve15
Well what do you want to become? You're human so you will have interests, even murderers have interests; killing people.

Tbh, you sound very much like me apart from the fact that I want a high paying job in finance by the age of 30, so for now all I care about is my academic performance and the ability to gain some work experience.

I like people but I'm not clingy and I don't really like clingy people. So that rules out two things pretty much; any 'best' friends or someone with enough info to **** me over (ie no one who knows me inside out) and a relationship as they look such effort and i cba with chasing girls tbh. But if I came across a girl naturally through the course of my 'journey' then I wouldn't hesitate to make a move, I just won't purposely go out to get one.

I don't really know what I want to become. 99% of well paid jobs seem boring to me. The simple jobs which don't require a high level of education seem more interesting to me. I am not saying this will be my future career as i wouldn't earn much money but just simple things such as working in a shop, driving a van and delivering things, being a taxi driver or something seems more interesting to me.

Tbh no one knows me inside out. Not my brothers, not my cousins, not friends i've had. I guess my parents know me the most but not even they know me. Some secrets I have never shared in my life and never will. Not even to a future girlfriend/wife.
What about business? You say you like doing things that benefit you, why not try to make yourself some money using your knowledge and skills. Sports courses don't tend to have a lot of hours in them as far as I know and if you're living in halls or whatever you could find yourself really bored unless you go out and make friends. You like playing games etc, why not recreate that in the real world? Football, go karts, laser tag, whatever it is you like doing virtually I'm sure you can find a way to make it appeal in real life.

The things you say remind me of Karl Pilkington btw :tongue:

Business seems the most boring to me. Sorry for being so negative when you are making suggestions. But it doesn't really benefit me. For example, doing sport will just stop me getting ill (improves your immune system, stops future problems like bad posture, diabetes, high blood pressure and anything/almost everything else!)

I don't mind playing a bit of football but I get bored of that quickly. Plus i'm not really that great on it and people either (A) hate football or (B) love football. The ones that love it are usually playing for a team, a lot better than me, and they are generally pretty similar sorts of people.

Go karting i guess is ok but i am not sure what you are trying to say. Yeah i wouldnt mind spending an hour on go karting but it is not like i will be spending all day every day in one. Also if i had the choice between spending money on go karting or doing nothing and saving money from not doing go karting, i would do the latter. I just don't see the point in spending money on it when after the hour of karting, i would just think to myself 'what did that achieve'. The answer is pretty much nothing. It is not like that has made me clever or better in any shape or form.

Yeah I have been compared to the Pilk before.
dedicate you life to helping others? if you cant be happy try at least to make other people happy.
Reply 15
I agree with the statement that this sounds like a depression: Nothing really seems to matter to you. Has it always been like this?
Also, I don't think that making (good) friends is about finding the coolest and most interesting people. It's mostly about finding people you can share your most intimate thoughts with and who are there for you when you need them. Of course, spending time with them should also be fun, but that alone is not enough for real friendship (in my opinion). So, if you grow bored of them easily, then maybe it was more of a superficial "friendship"?
Reply 16
Business seems the most boring to me. Sorry for being so negative when you are making suggestions. But it doesn't really benefit me. For example, doing sport will just stop me getting ill (improves your immune system, stops future problems like bad posture, diabetes, high blood pressure and anything/almost everything else!)

I don't mind playing a bit of football but I get bored of that quickly. Plus i'm not really that great on it and people either (A) hate football or (B) love football. The ones that love it are usually playing for a team, a lot better than me, and they are generally pretty similar sorts of people.

Go karting i guess is ok but i am not sure what you are trying to say. Yeah i wouldnt mind spending an hour on go karting but it is not like i will be spending all day every day in one. Also if i had the choice between spending money on go karting or doing nothing and saving money from not doing go karting, i would do the latter. I just don't see the point in spending money on it when after the hour of karting, i would just think to myself 'what did that achieve'. The answer is pretty much nothing. It is not like that has made me clever or better in any shape or form.

Yeah I have been compared to the Pilk before.

By go karting and football I was saying why not do those rather than playing the Xbox equivalent. I know it's not something you may do on a regular basis, but it's something you'd want a group of friends to do and you might not achieve anything from it, but what do you really achieve from playing games all day? Having a good time and trying new things is going to create memories, and they'll mean a lot more when you look back in years to come.

What about volunteering or something? By helping the less fortunate you may gain the sense of achievement you want. You just have to be patient when trying new things too. For example, I recently joined a football team, never played before in my life yet I'm in a team with girls that have been playing since they could walk. It can be disheartening to feel like I can't contribute half as much as the others, but with time and practice I know I'll get better and putting the effort in will be worth it in the end. Maybe you're expecting too much too soon?

What career are you hoping to have btw?
By go karting and football I was saying why not do those rather than playing the Xbox equivalent. I know it's not something you may do on a regular basis, but it's something you'd want a group of friends to do and you might not achieve anything from it, but what do you really achieve from playing games all day? Having a good time and trying new things is going to create memories, and they'll mean a lot more when you look back in years to come.

What about volunteering or something? By helping the less fortunate you may gain the sense of achievement you want. You just have to be patient when trying new things too. For example, I recently joined a football team, never played before in my life yet I'm in a team with girls that have been playing since they could walk. It can be disheartening to feel like I can't contribute half as much as the others, but with time and practice I know I'll get better and putting the effort in will be worth it in the end. Maybe you're expecting too much too soon?

What career are you hoping to have btw?

To be honest I would rather sit at home than do go karting (even though its ok i guess). Nearly all of my friends are at Uni and the ones that aren't either live really far away or have full time jobs. I am never going to be able to play football matches with them. Need lots of people for that sort of thing. Anyway I work myself pretty much most of the time. When I am not working though i never have any idea what to do. I don't really see how you will gain memories from playing football. Tbh i would have an equal level of fun from playing football as video games - although neither i would find THAT fun.

I was doing volunteering before. This is going to sound really cold and horrible but I am just going to be 100% honest here, I didn't really find it fun or gain any sort of sense of achievement. Again, it wasn't boring but I couldn't really say I actually really liked volunteering at the same time. Lol yeah I've played a fair bit of football, I have seen myself improve but I am never going to be amazing. Never going to be good enough for a team. And I would rather just have a kick about than play for a team as they always get so competitive and care so much when they win or lose when i don't really give a toss. Thanks anyway for the help though. I know I sound so negative but I am just trying to give my true opinions on things here rather than lying and saying 'brilliant idea'.
Reply 18
To be honest I would rather sit at home than do go karting (even though its ok i guess). Nearly all of my friends are at Uni and the ones that aren't either live really far away or have full time jobs. I am never going to be able to play football matches with them. Need lots of people for that sort of thing. Anyway I work myself pretty much most of the time. When I am not working though i never have any idea what to do. I don't really see how you will gain memories from playing football. Tbh i would have an equal level of fun from playing football as video games - although neither i would find THAT fun.

I was doing volunteering before. This is going to sound really cold and horrible but I am just going to be 100% honest here, I didn't really find it fun or gain any sort of sense of achievement. Again, it wasn't boring but I couldn't really say I actually really liked volunteering at the same time. Lol yeah I've played a fair bit of football, I have seen myself improve but I am never going to be amazing. Never going to be good enough for a team. And I would rather just have a kick about than play for a team as they always get so competitive and care so much when they win or lose when i don't really give a toss. Thanks anyway for the help though. I know I sound so negative but I am just trying to give my true opinions on things here rather than lying and saying 'brilliant idea'.

No, it's fine honestly. After re-reading the orginal post though I have to ask, do you really want things to change or are you content with the way things are?
Original post by Catrine
I agree with the statement that this sounds like a depression: Nothing really seems to matter to you. Has it always been like this?
Also, I don't think that making (good) friends is about finding the coolest and most interesting people. It's mostly about finding people you can share your most intimate thoughts with and who are there for you when you need them. Of course, spending time with them should also be fun, but that alone is not enough for real friendship (in my opinion). So, if you grow bored of them easily, then maybe it was more of a superficial "friendship"?

Yeah it's been like this for pretty much half of my life. I guess one thing I did like but i have kind of got bored of is just going out clubbing. I would enjoy pulling girls. Sounds stupid i know. I then had sex a few times and felt like i accomplished it and then going out clubbing is pointless because i have already achieved and surpassed just a basic kiss. It also is just bad for your health and you have got to ask yourself 'why are you even doing it'. So I don't really like going out or even just drinking in a quiet pub.

I've always been quite picky when making friends. Like I am very open but i am picky when becoming closer to a person. And I will never get to the stage where i need someone's support or will let out all my secrets to that person, or would call my best friend when i am upset, ask my friend for a hug or a shoulder to cry on etc. I guess I am quite a cold person. When I have had a girlfriend, I have never found anything deep down in my heart or any of that stuff. I just found her good looking. Even when someone I know died, I felt bad but didn't feel the need to cry (not disrespecting at all btw).

Latest

Trending

Trending