The Student Room Group

Any other schools starting A2 courses straight after AS exams?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To my knowledge, every school does. Well apart from one college I know but that was a college...saying that though my 6th form was a school/college rolled into one
Reply 21
Original post by thegreenchildren
At my school you had to continue doing all your subjects after the AS exams because they thought it would be good for you to see what the courses are like before dropping them.
Yeah I can see the point of it now, but I'm pretty 100% I would not like to go through history again next year :P
Original post by Robbie242
yh same for history, I despise it, but love maths xP

We're exact opposites then - history is my favourite :biggrin:
Reply 23
My school did that, I'm in year 13 now, and we learnt a lot of content and skills in that time, without even working that hard, so the time is valuable. I also think it was one of the best times in sixth form as only the year twelves were in and it was summer, so we had a lot of fun :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by ThatPerson
There is no January exam session anymore, so the next set of exams are in June.

Ah yes, I forgot. Still, no point in wasting lots of time.
Original post by reeedo
Yeah, my schools making us do this too. We have to carry on with all 4 subjects, even if we plan on dropping them, which is pretty annoying, but I guess it's in case we mess up in a subject we wanted to carry on with

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what's happening at my school too. :frown:
Reply 26
We had to come back after our AS exams last year, seems like it's pretty commonplace! It was quite handy actually, rather than focusing massively on new content, Bio and Chem decided to try and get some of the PSAs out the way so we didn't have to worry about them :smile: We were actually allowed to drop our fourth subject if we were certain that we weren't going to be taking it at A2, so that wasn't really much of a problem either :smile:
you should be glad, theres a lot to cover, you'll get break in the summer hols
Reply 28
yh same for history, I despise it, but love maths xP

Yo how u finding FP1?, I'm doing it as well

How u revising for it? As far as I can remember I think u are self-teaching.
Reply 29
Yep, after my AS exams last summer, we had like a week after all exams had finished and then we started our A2 work. By the sounds of it, this is the case with most sixth forms.. I guess it's cuz you have all that time when you wouldn't be doing anything, and you might as well get started with your A2 stuff early
You're expected to carry on with all four subjects till you get your results too, which meant me spending six weeks 'learning' A2 history stuff, even though I knew all year that I wanted to drop it 😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Vorsah
Yo how u finding FP1?, I'm doing it as well

How u revising for it? As far as I can remember I think u are self-teaching.
Yeah I am! Self teaching has gone sooo good, I just did an M1 paper got 70/75 (blind) and yeah FP1 on the 10th, made myself a timetable, most of my time goes to my earlier exams though, I have 16 pure days to revise FP1 after all my other exams
Reply 31
Yeah I am! Self teaching has gone sooo good, I just did an M1 paper got 70/75 (blind) and yeah FP1 on the 10th, made myself a timetable, most of my time goes to my earlier exams though, I have 16 pure days to revise FP1 after all my other exams

I have around that much days as well but, I need to revise for chem exam alongside FP1.

U doing D1?
Reply 32
Original post by Vorsah
I have around that much days as well but, I need to revise for chem exam alongside FP1.

U doing D1?
ah my last exams (apart from FP1) end on the 24th, and no I'm not doing D1 and I never want to do D1 ever haha, I love stats and mechanics (doing S1,S2,M1 this summer)
My school likewise started the A2 courses straight after the AS exams. There was literally no time to waste, or this was the case for me. I wanted to be entered for Jan exams so it was important to cover as much A2 work prior to breaking up for Summer. I think its important to have a break after the exams but to continue working too!
My school does this. We start A2 timetables on 3rd June, which is the day of my last exam (Biology) so it's a very fast change :redface:
Reply 35
yep last year i went straight onto a2 accept in chem because so many were expected to drop out which was the case, i didnt mind cos it left more time before january exams to revise the topics which were harder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
plus to those that said may be different in a college im in college

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school made a nice compromise - we started pretty much immediately after the end of our ASes, but we finished a week or so early in the summer - before the rest of the school. It was partly because over a third of the year group were going off on the school India expedition, so... But it was nice.
My sixth form is doing this which really sucks for me. Especially since I'm not doing any A2 as I'm doing an apprenticeship or a college course instead. Is it even worth me going to learn A2 stuff do you think?
I left college last year but we did that, too. I found the situation entirely pointless as when we returned after the summer in September, we did exactly the same things we'd done post-exams all over again.

Quick Reply

Latest