The Student Room Group

Can I get into economics?

Hi, Im currently in year 13 and I think i have picked the wrong a levels for economics. Im currently doing maths bio chem and physics to a2 as I initially applied and wanted to do another course. However recently Im more attracted to economics. During my gap year if I applied to do economics would I have a realistic shot at oxbridge, wawrick lse and ucl etc considering I don't do economics. My gcses 10A*s and 2as. as 4as and 4A* predictions,
Reply 1
You would be surprised how many econ applicants don't have economics. I think your choices, along with some summer reading on important economical topics/keeping up to date with current affairs, you will have a good chance.
Reply 2
p12
OP
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
You would be surprised how many econ applicants don't have economics. I think your choices, along with some summer reading on important economical topics/keeping up to date with current affairs, you will have a good chance.

So hypothetically speaking since Im on course for 4A*s in the three sciences and maths, I will most probably get in (to a top 5 uni) if I apply during my gap year.
Reply 3
Original post by p12
So hypothetically speaking since Im on course for 4A*s in the three sciences and maths, I will most probably get in (to a top 5 uni) if I apply during my gap year.
Don't apply to the ones that ask for further maths and your good
Reply 4
p12
OP
Original post by Robbie242
Don't apply to the ones that ask for further maths and your good

If i did further maths during my gap year surely that would make the universities that require it viable to apply to.
Reply 5
Original post by p12
If i did further maths during my gap year surely that would make the universities that require it viable to apply to.
Correct
Having maths and/or physics is better than economics at a-level for an economics degree.
Reply 7
p12
OP
But my understanding of admissions is such that universities will only consider a levels that are sat at the same time as 2 other as it is the workload rather than the content that make a levels difficult. Would doing further maths in one year give me the option to apply anywhere?

further maths during my gap year
Reply 8
Original post by p12
But my understanding of admissions is such that universities will only consider a levels that are sat at the same time as 2 other as it is the workload rather than the content that make a levels difficult. Would doing further maths in one year give me the option to apply anywhere?

further maths during my gap year

I would do maths A2, physics A2 chem A2 and further maths AS next year to be in with a chance at applying and I would skip the gap year, tbh.
Reply 9
p12
OP
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I would do maths A2, physics A2 chem A2 and further maths AS next year to be in with a chance at applying and I would skip the gap year, tbh.

No I'm finishing my a levels this summer. If i applied to do economics for 2014 entry and completed further maths during my gap year, do I have a shot at the top unis?
4A*s would prove that you can handle the workload, email the admissions/econ departments at the unis you're considering to make sure they'll count your fm as. That's the only way to know for sure :smile:.
Reply 11
p12
OP
Original post by x__justmyluck
4A*s would prove that you can handle the workload, email the admissions/econ departments at the unis you're considering to make sure they'll count your fm as. That's the only way to know for sure :smile:.

Thanks I will do that :smile:
Reply 12
Could even do both fm and econ in your gap year to really show that you are interested. Economics AS doesn't look too bad from the specifications I have looked at. I actually considered self-teaching it at one point.
That paired with a lot of reading around economics will surely make for a solid application.
Oh ofc! Know this girl, who did all sciences and Maths however got into Cambridge economics.

Good luck, I recommend reading ahead during summer. So, Jodieecongirl, Khanacademy - on Youtube. Read Tutor2u on economics A levels. Reading ahead in terms of personal statements: read Amartya Sen, Joseph Stiglitz, Adam Smith, John Kay's Truth About Markets is pretty good.

You seem clever - you will do great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending