Original post by Little Tail Chaser
x

You're gonna have SO MUCH work experience :smile::eek:
Original post by skatealexia
You're gonna have SO MUCH work experience :smile::eek:

I hope so! :colondollar:

Still, quality, not quantity :wink:
On a related note, quick question...

For the work experience questionnaires, am I right in thinking that there's a limit to how much one placement can count for? So, say someone had 10 weeks at a certain place, would it only count for six or something like that?

Hopefully that makes sense. It doesn't really make a difference ("Hi, I'm going to get you to teach me everything, then sod off then it's no longer worth my while. Kthxbai" :tongue: ... yeah, no.), I'm just trying to guage how much wex I'll have by October 2014.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Interesting dilemma. Been quoted £300ish for a dog dental. Now, do I take my dog to this vets which I trust a bit more with this quote , or do I take her to the cheaper vets which will be about £150 less where I had her spayed and she was fine and will do pretty much the same job?
Reply 304
Another 2015 Vet Med hopeful here:smile: Just a little introduction - My name is Monika and I have wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember! I was wondering whether any of you know where I could possibly get any lambing work experience in London or Surrey? I have been looking everywhere, and haven't found anything :frown:

That would be very helpful!
Interesting dilemma. Been quoted £300ish for a dog dental. Now, do I take my dog to this vets which I trust a bit more with this quote , or do I take her to the cheaper vets which will be about £150 less where I had her spayed and she was fine and will do pretty much the same job?

Hmm, tricky one. If you're in the position where you can afford £300 then I'd go for that, but on the other hand, I imagine that spays are more complicated and the cheaper vet managed that just fine. Why exactly do you trust the £300 vet more, because of the price? To be honest I think it depends on what they're actually doing. I don't think that dental work would be a high risk procedure...

Original post by MonMon
Another 2015 Vet Med hopeful here:smile: Just a little introduction - My name is Monika and I have wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember! I was wondering whether any of you know where I could possibly get any lambing work experience in London or Surrey? I have been looking everywhere, and haven't found anything :frown:

Hi there Monika! :biggrin: Welcome to the thread. :h:

Trust me, if I knew any sheepy places in London I would probably have been there already! :tongue: I'm a fellow Londoner, we have it tough sometimes! I did manage to do some work with sheep (castrations etc) on an urban farm, but it's in North London so probably a bit too far from you, and anyway, I imagine you want a proper working farm. If I do manage to find any places I'll drop you a PM but for now I think we may end up having to stay away on the farm for lambing.
(edited 11 years ago)
x

Think I'm going to ring up the other vet instead as it is only a minor op like you say :smile: x
Original post by MonMon

I'm afraid I'm not from London, but when I had to do lambing, I couldn't find anywhere back home either even though there are sheep farms all around me! In the end I found a farmer willing to host me near uni (Liverpool), even though I had only a tiny bit of experience with sheep. They picked me up from the train station, provided me with a bed & food in return for labour. Perhaps this is something you could look into? Or staying with a family member or a friend of the family? Or a B&B somewhere outside of London? I'd probably recommend you doing a weeks minimum of lambing. Where there's a will there's a way!

Think I'm going to ring up the other vet instead as it is only a minor op like you say :smile: x

I hope your dog's dental goes well and she has a speedy recovery :wink:
Back from another day at the farm :biggrin: . I swear, that place changes every time I visit! Since I last went, they've bought in a new pony, some lambs, and (you'll be interested to hear, Holly :wink: ) a new goat. The goat is called Pashina and she's a milking goat. Not sure what breed though, I'll look it up in a sec. The new pone is called Merlin and he's just an adorable bundle of fluff. He adores attention, we gave him a quick groom and he was just lapping up the love! :tongue:

I got to milk the cows again :smile:, but unfortunately one of them has come down with mastitis in two quarters of her udder so she has to be milked by hand. :frown:

The lil' lambies are getting big, they jumped the fence and broke free at the end of the day, the monkeys! :tongue:

My other suggestion would be to phone up both vets and ask if, as a vet student, you'd be allowed to observe the procedure. It would be a helpful experience for you, and the vet would be anxious not to muck up if there was a client present. Probably a silly idea, but there you go. :redface: I asked my vet if I was allowed to watch when one of my ratties had some tumours removed, he said no because they've had bad experiences with clients observing in the past, but I don't know if they'd be more likely to let you come given that you're already at vet school.

Whichever vet you choose, I hope it goes well and your dog recovers quickly. :smile:

MonMon
X

I know you've probably thought of this already, but would lambing at Hounslow Urban Farm be out of the question? I used to go there quite a lot when I was a kid, but it's way too far to me to travel for work experience. I seem to remember there being a lot of sheep there. I think they had polytunnels to put the lambing enclosures in.

That's probably nowhere near what you were after (a working farm, I assume), but I just remembered this earlier and thought it might be worth considering if you can't find anywhere else. :smile:

EDIT: I think Pashy's a British Alpine, like this beauty:
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh, just to add, "Was 1996 during the War" is no longer the daftest question I have been asked while working on the farm, 'Do you have any dinosaurs in the petting area?' has taken it's place :lol: :tongue: (the kid was about 5, bless him :tongue: ).
Reply 310

Hi there Monika! :biggrin: Welcome to the thread. :h:

Trust me, if I knew any sheepy places in London I would probably have been there already! :tongue: I'm a fellow Londoner, we have it tough sometimes! I did manage to do some work with sheep (castrations etc) on an urban farm, but it's in North London so probably a bit too far from you, and anyway, I imagine you want a proper working farm. If I do manage to find any places I'll drop you a PM but for now I think we may end up having to stay away on the farm for lambing.
I actually didn't realise how hard it would be to get large animal work experience in London! It's almost impossible! :angry: And right now, I'm almost willing to do anything. :biggrin: Would you mind messaging me the contact details of the urban farm with sheep in North London? That would be helpful! How much work experience have you done already?
Original post by MonMon
I actually didn't realise how hard it would be to get large animal work experience in London! It's almost impossible! :angry: And right now, I'm almost willing to do anything. :biggrin: Would you mind messaging me the contact details of the urban farm with sheep in North London? That would be helpful! How much work experience have you done already?

No problem, I'll do that now. :smile: I also have a list of urban farms in London, would you like that too?

Another user PM'd me the details of a few LA vets, I can pass that on as well, if you'd like?

Just give me a second to rootle through my PMs :smile:

So far I have a bit more than seven weeks done, and I'll hopefully have almost nine by the end of Easter. What about yourself? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 312
No problem, I'll do that now. :smile: I also have a list of urban farms in London, would you like that too?

Another user PM'd me the details of a few LA vets, I can pass that on as well, if you'd like?

Just give me a second to rootle through my PMs :smile:

Without even joking, you would literally be a life saver! All of those would be very useful to me! :smile: And compared to you I have nothing :biggrin: By the end of summer, I should have 7 weeks however I have also been working at a stables every Saturday for a year, so I don't know how many weeks that would total up to :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MonMon
Without even joking, you would literally be a life saver! All of those would be very useful to me! :smile: And compared to you I have nothing :biggrin: By the end of summer, I should have 7 weeks however I have also been working at a stables every Saturday for a year, so I don't know how many weeks that would total up to :/

The list of UFs is on my desktop computer, now I just have to find the file... this may take awhile :tongue:

Every Saturday for a year is a lot! Depending on how you count your weeks (5 days or 7 days) that's 10 weeks or 7 weeks already! :biggrin:
Reply 314
The list of UFs is on my desktop computer, now I just have to find the file... this may take awhile :tongue:

Every Saturday for a year is a lot! Depending on how you count your weeks (5 days or 7 days) that's 10 weeks or 7 weeks already! :biggrin:

Haha true! But I don't think that really counts :/ Cause someone could just do one placement every day for a year and be like I have 30 weeks work experience :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by MonMon
Haha true! But I don't think that really counts :/ Cause someone could just do one placement every day for a year and be like I have 30 weeks work experience :biggrin::biggrin:

I'd just put it down as a long-term placement, but there's no reason why you couldn't put it down like that. :tongue: Craig (CanineVet) has over 19 weeks because he's been doing long term placements for ages.

(I'm still composing that PM by the way, it's taking ages, sorry! :colondollar:
Reply 316
I'd just put it down as a long-term placement, but there's no reason why you couldn't put it down like that. :tongue: Craig (CanineVet) has over 19 weeks because he's been doing long term placements for ages.

(I'm still composing that PM by the way, it's taking ages, sorry! :colondollar:

Ah, I see, then that would be pretty good :tongue: I would love to get a long term placement at a vets, but they don't usually want to take under 18 year olds :mad: & haha, that's absolutely fine! Take your time, thank you so much for doing that for me though! :h:
Original post by MonMon
Ah, I see, then that would be pretty good :tongue: I would love to get a long term placement at a vets, but they don't usually want to take under 18 year olds :mad: & haha, that's absolutely fine! Take your time, thank you so much for doing that for me though! :h:

I'm hoping to get a long term placement at a vet next year :yep: It will be good to see the daily routines of those places, you know.

In regards to to the PM, is it okay if I include some LA vets out of London that can provide accommodation?
Reply 318
I'm hoping to get a long term placement at a vet next year :yep: It will be good to see the daily routines of those places, you know.

In regards to to the PM, is it okay if I include some LA vets out of London that can provide accommodation?

Yeah, I think vet schools would really like to see a long term placement with a vet too! You're really lucky if you get to do that :smile: And ooh yes please! That'd be great :tongue:
Original post by MonMon
Yeah, I think vet schools would really like to see a long term placement with a vet too! You're really lucky if you get to do that :smile: And ooh yes please! That'd be great :tongue:

Yep, I think that shows more dedication than a few weeks here and there :yep:

I'm almost done! Sorry for the long wait! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest