The Student Room Group

GCSE Music Practicals

I am really terrified for my music practical, I have my pieces but I am really afraid that I won't do well because I struggle with music a lot.:confused: Can anyone help?
Original post by megsiehoey
I am really terrified for my music practical, I have my pieces but I am really afraid that I won't do well because I struggle with music a lot.:confused: Can anyone help?

I've already done mine.

Relax, nerves are normal and in my opinion you perform better if you're slightly nervous! Know your pieces so well that you could almost play them without music (unless you're a singer and you have to know them without music).

What pieces are you playing? What instrument?

I sang "Mr Cellophane" from Chicago and "You Raise Me Up" as my ensemble.
Just relax, remember you can rerecord them as many times as you need to and practice with your teacher a few times first if you're accompanied so you're used to it before you record.

If you're a higher grade on whatever instrument, certainly for edexcel you don't get any more marks for difficulty if you play a grade 8 or a grade 5 piece, so go for doing an easier one really well rather than a hard one not so well (I learnt from experience there!).

Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by furryface12
Just relax, remember you can rerecord them as many times as you need to and practice with your teacher a few times first if you're accompanied so you're used to it before you record.

If you're a higher grade on whatever instrument, certainly for edexcel you don't get any more marks for difficulty if you play a grade 8 or a grade 5 piece, so go for doing an easier one really well rather than a hard one not so well (I learnt from experience there!).

Good luck!

For GCSE your piece only needs to be grade 3 anyway, so don't go too high to try and impress, play something easy that you can play well
Original post by MusicMaestro97
For GCSE your piece only needs to be grade 3 anyway, so don't go too high to try and impress, play something easy that you can play well

That's what I meant I just didn't explain it very well, sorry!

I was really nervous about my AS performing exam but as soon as I went into the room my nerves went away! For your solo, try to get a accompaniment because I've found it helps!
Original post by 2007PSanHa
I was really nervous about my AS performing exam but as soon as I went into the room my nerves went away! For your solo, try to get a accompaniment because I've found it helps!

Sorry to invade the thread, but how do you find AS music? I'm vaguely thinking about maybe picking it up next year (I'm in year 12 atm) but I'm not sure about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's going well at the moment! Performing and composing went well and I've just got the listening exam. The only thing I would say is that I find the essays hard. There are only two of us in our class which is great. Oh, and be prepared to have to spend a lot of your own time and frees in the music department - I had ended up in almost all of the ensembles which I could play in and must have spent about 20 hour long frees there too!
Original post by 2007PSanHa
It's going well at the moment! Performing and composing went well and I've just got the listening exam. The only thing I would say is that I find the essays hard. There are only two of us in our class which is great. Oh, and be prepared to have to spend a lot of your own time and frees in the music department - I had ended up in almost all of the ensembles which I could play in and must have spent about 20 hour long frees there too!

I seem to spend most of my time there anyway, which is partly why I'm thinking about taking it! Hmmm, essays, I'm not a fan of them :frown: Ahh well, thank you, I will think about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending