The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexh42
Stop masturbating, will help you with motivation and drive.

I don't masturbate often anyway.

Original post by RedDevilinWales
This makes me feel so "normal" I guess. I am very similar to you/have a similar view on life except I have hobbies. I enjoy playing my xbox which I do get bored with after some time, I also enjoy unique films and TV shows but I get bored easily as well....I have to sincerely say that before the boredom kicks in, I do enjoy those hobbies. Apart from that, everything else seems irrelevant. I have basically no interest in a lot of things that others/the society regards as relevant. I get bored of friends, relationships and even my family. I know i'm not depressed although others may disagree. I just feel like I'm just me and i'm very happy being me. I intend to get married and all that stuff but only if I find someone that understands the way I am and accepts me as I am....and I don't get bored of her. I'm scared I might get bored of my wife(future) as I always get bored of friends, my exes, etc. All I can say is I am happy with my lifestyle ad if you are happy as well, then be yourself. Don't chage to suit what is regarded as "normal".

Yeah you are pretty much the same as me apart from you are happy with your lifestyle.
I think people are jumping the gun by saying you're depressed. Just sounds like you're apathetic.
same.. i used to really be into sex.... never had it, until i had a blowjob tonight. i couldnt cum and it was boring. i didnt find her attractive, but i swear now thats a huge part of my life gone.
Original post by hamburgerandbeans

Yeah you are pretty much the same as me apart from you are happy with your lifestyle.

Umm...From your original post, it didn't seem like you were unhappy but more like indifferent. What exactly are you looking to get? A change in your lifestyle/some source of happiness? or what?
Reply 44
How do you prevent a Summer cold?

Catch it in the Winter!

HA HA HA BOOM BOOM!
Reply 45
I am 18. I am a pretty easy going, normal guy. However there is nothing in life I particularly enjoy. I have no hobbies, I have no interests, there is nothing which really pleases me. I wouldn't say I am sad or miserable. Basically most things I find are 'ok' - not good but not bad.

Another thing is, I get bored of things very quickly. It starts off as alright and then becomes repetitive, too common, a routine, the same each day etc and I just fancy a change. Then if I get a change, eventually this thing which is new will get old and I would want something else new. This would then get old and the cycle will repeat over and over again.

For example, this may sound really shallow but it even applies to friendships and relationships. I have met some people who seem cool and I like spending time with them, but then after getting to know them, maybe a little while later I just feel every time I see them it is the same, I am bored of our conversations or the jokes, they just become boring people even though I once thought they were cool. Sometimes I get a massive crush on a girl, I will ask them out and I get bored of being in a relationship with the girl (not trying to sound arrogant). Or sometimes it is just a massive crush on a girl and the massive crush will go pretty fast and I will probably either hate the girl or just find her 'ok' (but nothing more).

In terms of hobbies, I don't like reading, i don't like watching movies, i don't really like sports (i only do some sports to remain healthy and not for enjoyment purposes).

I even went travelling for 4 and a half months round South East Asia. Everyone I met said it was the best thing of their lives, once in a lifetime, absolutely incredible and the best thing they have done, best decision they made, lifechanging experience blah blah blah. For me, it was just ok. I mean, it was a long time, i did some things which i guess were fairly cool and others things which weren't, but it was no different from being home really. When I was travelling I kind of missed just sitting there watching TV or playing on the xbox. But now I am back home and I think to myself 'why am i playing on the xbox.... it is not real life and isnt going to benefit me in any way. It just kills the time i guess'. Same applies with the TV.

When there are a group of people, everyone wants to meet each other and become friends. To be honest, I really cant be bothered. It is not that I am anti social but I just don't see the point in talking and making friends. What does it really achieve? What is the point of talking? You are just moving your mouth. It is a waste of breath. At the same time though I wouldn't say i am an introvert. I can be the loud guy if i wanted but a lot of the time i am too lazy to be bothered to do this/move my mouth, i can be the super quiet guy mostly because i just dont feel the need to make friends, i can be the clever guy, the dumb guy, the funny guy, the serious guy - it all depends who i want to be with that social group.

I don't know if i am lost, i don't know who i am deep down, i think i may be confused. I don't know what i like really and don't know what i want in life. As i said i am a pretty simple guy. I think i just want to get married one day, have kids and thats pretty much it. I don't feel the need to do anything spectacular. Just be your standard 'joe' you will meet. Not really friendly, not really unfriendly. Just standard, normal, average etc.

It is the same when I have had jobs (only part time ones). I have never found any of the jobs I have done any fun. I could never say I enjoyed them. But at the same time i never did not enjoy them. I just did them and got on with it.

I am going off to University in September and I know some people are worried they won't settle in, make friends etc. For me I pretty much don't care if I get there and become the 'cool' guy or the guy with no friends. It doesn't bother me slightly.

Sometimes after work, I will get home and just not know what to do. I have nothing to please me after work. No sort of hobbies. Nothing I will actually enjoy or find interesting.But at the same time I wouldn't be bored or angry. I just need something to keep me busy for a few hours until i can sleep again and start the next day off the exact same way.

Reply 46
I like the concept of this but I have no idea what to choose when I have no interests or hobbies. How can I choose something I like with a variety when I don't know what I like and I feel I never will. It feels like there is 1 piece missing in my life. It is like a jigsaw - I am missing that thing which will make me happy.

Just keep trying new things, and new people. Chances are you'll find at least one person or activity that you enjoy and don't tire of. As for the career, this doesn't have to be something you have a passion for, just something that you can see yourself doing for the next 50 years. Most importantly, keep looking for something or someone that makes you happy and once you've found it work out how to fully pursue it.
I don't like that sort of music. I have a weird music taste. I don't like instruments at all actually.

What will that actually achieve though? Depression is just a word. Personally i don't think i do have it. It has never crossed my mind. But even if I did have it. Would the doctor telling me I have depression actually change me at all? All it would do is tell me I am suffering from a condition.

Doctors don't just say "yep, that's depression, now off you pop", I know a lot of people are not a fan of medication or they think it doesn't treat the root problem but I had a mixture of counseling and Citalopram. They explained how the medication worked etc and they did weekly check ups on me which became less frequent once they were satisfied I was making progress. They signed me off work and gave me time to recover because my body was so worn down. It really helped me, a doctor isn't going to make it any worse for you.
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
I think people are jumping the gun by saying you're depressed. Just sounds like you're apathetic.

That's why I was surprised to find I was depressed, I didn't spend all day crying or being miserable but I had no interest in anything. I just went through all the motions without feeling anything.
Original post by RachaelBee
That's why I was surprised to find I was depressed, I didn't spend all day crying or being miserable but I had no interest in anything. I just went through all the motions without feeling anything.

I guess depression affects different people in different ways then. My mom suffered from it but seemed to stem from compulsive over thinking as opposed to not caring or having no interest.
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
I guess depression affects different people in different ways then. My mom suffered from it but seemed to stem from compulsive over thinking as opposed to not caring or having no interest.

Definitely, I'm not the only person I know to have suffered with it and we've all been completely different.
Reply 51
i feel the same well not as much as you
You don't have depression at all, you never said you feel low or lonely and I am presuming you don't feel paranoid or have moments of personality change.

I guess you just need to find meaning in your life maybe. And how you can enjoy it without feeling just average.

I honestly hope you find that spark or something that is missing in your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had read somewhere that not finding anything interesting in life is good. Cause truly not lot of people like what they do and often they pretend.Some of them who like, get bored eventually.And if not that's their life purpose.I am kind of like you. Just normal average guy.But feel like go for meditation and discover my true self, develop ability to do nothing (Literally nothing, not even chattering inside mind that goes on and on even if you are sitting idle).I have heard beyond that point there is life, everything becomes alive, talks to you, interest you like never before.I have well paid job, friends etc almost everything that one would want in life.Not able to break free and seek my goal. I am afraid this life will go and I will never be able to break free.
I had read somewhere that not finding anything interesting in life is good. Cause truly not lot of people like what they do and often they pretend.
Some of them who like, get bored eventually.
And if not that's their life purpose.

I am kind of like you. Just normal average guy.
But feel like go for meditation and discover my true self, develop ability to do nothing (Literally nothing, not even chattering inside mind that goes on and on even if you are sitting idle).

I have heard beyond that point there is life, everything becomes alive, talks to you, interest you like never before.

I have well paid job, friends etc almost everything that one would want in life.
Not able to break free and seek my goal. I am afraid this life will go and I will never be able to break free.
If you don't know/ have any interests then you should surround yourself with as many things as possible, the best way to do this is to read books.

Read books is the answer to everything.
Wow lmao.
Nice 3 year throwback.
I feel the exact same, Im a female. And i Fe as tho none of the comments helped or understood anything
I feel the exact same, I feel bone of these comments helped or really understood
OMG this is me. Like I be wondering all the time like what's the point of most things. Why sit at a restaurant and eat when you can take the food home? Why do I need to travel and

Latest

Trending

Trending