The Student Room Group

Girl, 14 raped by two men on bus in UK

"Investigations are continuing after a teenage girl was raped by two men on a double decker bus in Glasgow.

The attack happened on the top deck of the 57 bus as it left the Silverburn shopping centre in Pollok, Glasgow, at about 22:30 last Friday night.
The 14-year-old sat downstairs with a friend but then moved to the upper deck where she was assaulted and raped by two men".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21974375

I can see lot of double standards here, this story is not big news on many papers or not even mentioned. But they went on and on about the Indian bus rape to stigmatise a whole nation of 1.2 billion people.
The great civilized west where you get raped on a bus with other people on board, the UK needs to get off its moral high horse and get its own house in order.

Rapeing chidlren on a bus in the UK. I guess guandi was right when they asked him, "what do you think of western civilization gandhi"....and he replied "I think it would be a very good idea"
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

But they went on and on about the Indian bus rape to stigmatise a whole nation of 1.2 billion people.

It wasn't to stigmatise a nation, the nation was in massive protest itself about violence against women and demanding to be taken seriously when reporting crimes, especially those such as rape or domestic violence. It had big political influence and sparked reviews into policing and current law practices.

What has happened in this article was awful and very sad, but it isn't comparable except for the fact it was on a bus.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ssxx
I can see lot of double standards here, this story is not big news on many papers or not even mentioned. But they went on and on about the Indian bus rape to stigmatise a whole nation of 1.2 billion people.

We didn't hear about it just because it was a rape, we heard about it because it triggered massive social and political outcry in India.
Reply 3
Original post by Peter91
Probably because the news story in India was rather different to the one you have described here. Also because India is generally considered to have a very significant problem in its attitudes towards women, resulting in widespread, unpunished and unreported harassment and rape, and hideous police attitudes to such cases. The recent cases that have hit the news internationally are doing so because of this, and because the fight for women's rights in India has made some (a very little) ground.

As the UK is relatively good in terms of gender equality (but by no means perfect) the attack described is considered less indicative of a serious underlying problem (clearly there is still one for it to occur, but a difference of scale).

That would be my guess as to the difference in coverage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are so ignorant and easily influenced by the media.
Indian men do not rape women more thanUK men.
It is a fact, Indian is more conservative than UK and hence Indian culture does not sexualise women and children in the same extend as the west.

You see harassment every day from work men wolf whistling at women on their way to work.

All these stories about a rape and harassment you been hearing is just done to blacken the countries name. It has 1.2 billion people so it will have more cases compared to the UK.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ssxx
"Investigations are continuing after a teenage girl was raped by two men on a double decker bus in Glasgow.

The attack happened on the top deck of the 57 bus as it left the Silverburn shopping centre in Pollok, Glasgow, at about 22:30 last Friday night.
The 14-year-old sat downstairs with a friend but then moved to the upper deck where she was assaulted and raped by two men".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21974375

Rapeing chidlren on a bus in the UK. I guess guandi was right when they asked him, "what do you think of western civilization gandhi"....and he replied "I think it would be a very good idea"

All the conversations you could start, and you decide to link this to the India case? Weak.

As far the rapists, I hope they get caught, do time and someday experience what they put that poor girl through. Scum.
It's awful. Hope the perpetrators are caught and the judge not soft in sentencing if they are convicted.

It seems more likely that someone will be assaulted on the top deck of a bus than downstairs. So more single decker buses and bendy buses, especially at night, could help reduce the possibility of assault. Boris Johnson's blanket ban on bendy buses in London means for example that the main bus route through Camden (number 29) is a double decker not a bendy bus.
Reply 6
Original post by barnetlad
It's awful. Hope the perpetrators are caught and the judge not soft in sentencing if they are convicted.

It seems more likely that someone will be assaulted on the top deck of a bus than downstairs. So more single decker buses and bendy buses, especially at night, could help reduce the possibility of assault. Boris Johnson's blanket ban on bendy buses in London means for example that the main bus route through Camden (number 29) is a double decker not a bendy bus.

Bendy buses are dangerous for pedestrians waiting to cross and cyclists.
Ban them!
Reply 7
One side of me thinks what was a 14 year old doing out at that time on a night. I had to be in by half 8 or 9 at the latest when I was that age but that doesn't excuse her getting raped. Nobody deserves rape. I hope the scumbags are caught and shown a proper punishment.
Reply 8
Original post by iJess
One side of me thinks what was a 14 year old doing out at that time on a night. I had to be in by half 8 or 9 at the latest when I was that age but that doesn't excuse her getting raped. Nobody deserves rape. I hope the scumbags are caught and shown a proper punishment.

How long before the victim blamers show up? Know you aren't blaming her at all, but sadly that'll probably get used against her in the court case (if there even is one) :frown:
Reply 9
Wait, they actually did it... on the bus?
And they haven't been caught yet?

Holy **** we're bad at this whole crimefighting thing.
Original post by ssxx
You are so ignorant and easily influenced by the media.
Indian men do not rape women more thanUK men.
It is a fact, Indian is more conservative than UK and hence Indian culture does not sexualise women and children in the same extend as the west.

You see harassment every day from work men wolf whistling at women on their way to work.

All these stories about a rape and harassment you been hearing is just done to blacken the countries name. It has 1.2 billion people so it will have more cases compared to the UK.

I would say you are the ignorant one here.
That isn't what he said at all... He was saying that women's rights in India are not as good as they are here. The girl in India was gang raped and killed as a result, the huge publicity was because of the massive political and social movement that ensued in a bid to equalise the rights of women and not so much just because the woman was raped.

The sexualisation of women has absolutely nothing to do with this debate at all, and for the record sexual harassment goes both ways. In fact I would even go as far to say now that the gender bias is more towards women and "women's rights". Society as a whole has no problem with a woman being proud to be a woman, but if I'm, proud to be a man I'm labeled a "sexist chauvinistic pig"

"All these stories about a rape and harassment you been hearing is just done to blacken the countries name."

What stories???? I've heard one... and it hasn't blackened my opinion of anything.
Original post by iJess

This is true; it's called mitigating your risk. Absolutely we need to deter and punish rapists to an extreme, but that needs to be alongside being sensible to minimise the risk to you regardless of the absolute risk.

It's like going out driving and not using your mirrors because you trust that others will drive safely. You need to minimise risk by using them because ultimately some people do not drive safely, and it might be up to you to stop the accident happening.

No I'm not victim blaming, before anybody brings that up.
Original post by CJKay
Wait, they actually did it... on the bus?
And they haven't been caught yet?

Holy **** we're bad at this whole crimefighting thing.

No CCTV on the bus, but I'm amazed the 'two men and a woman' let them get away. Why didn't the bus driver lock the doors?
Reply 13
Original post by WaceMindu
I would say you are the ignorant one here.
That isn't what he said at all... He was saying that women's rights in India are not as good as they are here. The girl in India was gang raped and killed as a result, the huge publicity was because of the massive political and social movement that ensued in a bid to equalise the rights of women and not so much just because the woman was raped.

The sexualisation of women has absolutely nothing to do with this debate at all, and for the record sexual harassment goes both ways. In fact I would even go as far to say now that the gender bias is more towards women and "women's rights". Society as a whole has no problem with a woman being proud to be a woman, but if I'm, proud to be a man I'm labeled a "sexist chauvinistic pig"

"All these stories about a rape and harassment you been hearing is just done to blacken the countries name."

What stories???? I've heard one... and it hasn't blackened my opinion of anything.

I do agree with you about the gender bias towards women.

But I feel a sense where people in the west like to point to other countries problems in order to feel a sense of moral superiority. It is a way to mask their own problems.

Equality does not mean women have to do everything men do.

don't confuse equality with practicality.

In a middle class Indian family, girls are pushed in to university education in India. they enjoy a better life than Indian boys from a lower cast.

But in a poor family in a village in India, where resources are limited it makes better practical sense to educate the boy over the girl. It is not done because girls are 2nd class but due to practicality.

In the Indian parliament they passed a law where 40% of new MP has to be women, which I find stupid and sexist. but one can argue they are well ahead of the UK in gender balance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Why was a 14 yr old girl out at half 10 at night?.She should have been at home not travelling on buses.
Reply 15
Original post by Annie72
Why was a 14 yr old girl out at half 10 at night?.She should have been at home not travelling on buses.

It shows the state of British parenting these days.
What I don't understand is why there was no CCTV/cameras.
I've worked with this bus company and been in the drivers cabs of these buses and they all had cameras so the drivers could see upstairs on a screen above their heads.

Original post by iJess

When I was 14 I went to a youth club which finished about 10.30 and although my mum picked me up because we lived out of town, a lot of the ones who lived in the town would make their own way home.
I really don't think that's too late for a 14 year old to be out. She was on a bus, not wandering the streets.
Whether rape occurs here, in India or as recent reports involving Angelina Jolie have shown, in DR Congo, Rape is bestial crime, it happens to someones Mother, daughter, son, children, and even old women. It is rarely a crime to do with sex, but a power buzz. I don't think we should be discussing rape as a racial thing, it is committed by very sick personalities, and these people can exist everywhere. A british rapist is no better than an Indian or African rapist.
I'm disgusted to hear this story, but when I read something struck me; she was with a friend, but why did she go up to the top deck alone? If you're with a friend wouldn't you stay with them anyway, especially when its dark out?
Original post by Annie72

She should?

I used to take the bus back from the next town at that kind of time at that age. Not all 14 year olds are the same. Not all are as foolish as the article would seem to indicate this one was. Not everyone lives in a ****ty part of a city with high crime rates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending