The Student Room Group

LLB at Nottingham or at Durham?

Making decisions has never really been my strong point, yikes, especially as an expat who's looking to move back to the UK for law school. Did a year at a US university, but it was way too expensive to carry on. I'll be considered a 'mature student' when I start, as I turn 21 in 6 months.

I got unconditional offers from all five schools (Warwick, KCL, Bristol, Nottingham, and Durham) and ruled out Warwick, KCL and Bristol (to my parents dismay, they lived in Bristol and that's where I was born) because I don't love city campuses and I'm not sure I'd do well there (though if anyone can attest to the positives of any of those school, I'd love to hear them!). So now I'm torn between Nottingham (newer, campus feel, less history?) and Durham (higher rank, more history).

Any opinions, thoughts, etc, on Nottingham vs Durham?

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ebreeze
Making decisions has never really been my strong point, yikes, especially as an expat who's looking to move back to the UK for law school. Did a year at a US university, but it was way too expensive to carry on. I'll be considered a 'mature student' when I start, as I turn 21 in 6 months.

I got unconditional offers from all five schools (Warwick, KCL, Bristol, Nottingham, and Durham) and ruled out Warwick, KCL and Bristol (to my parents dismay, they lived in Bristol and that's where I was born) because I don't love city campuses and I'm not sure I'd do well there (though if anyone can attest to the positives of any of those school, I'd love to hear them!). So now I'm torn between Nottingham (newer, campus feel, less history?) and Durham (higher rank, more history).

Any opinions, thoughts, etc, on Nottingham vs Durham?

Thanks!

Meh, Durham's law school is only 40 years old. If you care about rankings, Nottingham is always higher up in the international rankings than Durham and has a stronger international rep, I'd say. They both do well in international rankings done by employer perspective, you'll usually find them both in the top 20 in the world (QS).
Having said that, Durham does carry more prestige domestically and at Notts, far less people manage to achieve 2:1s than at other unis.
Reply 2
Original post by amineamine2
Meh, Durham's law school is only 40 years old. If you care about rankings, Nottingham is always higher up in the international rankings than Durham and has a stronger international rep, I'd say. They both do well in international rankings done by employer perspective, you'll usually find them both in the top 20 in the world (QS).
Having said that, Durham does carry more prestige domestically and at Notts, far less people manage to achieve 2:1s than at other unis.

That actually does help quite a bit. I did see that Nottingham's 2:1's are a lot harder to achieve than at most other schools. I'm not sure if I'll end up staying in the UK after uni (because I am a UK citizen, and thus I don't have the student visa expiration to worry about) or if I'll eventually come back to the US, so that's another thing I need to consider.

Thank you!
Reply 3
Personally I'd go with nottingham mate. I've had unconditionals from Nottingham, warwick, LSE and Leeds and I've chosen nottingham. The staff there seemed so friendly and helpful and the course structure and options available are really good (in my humble opinion). And with regards to the low amount of people getting a 2:1 don't worry about it, you should be aiming for a first anyways :tongue: good luck with your choice though, wherever you go you'll be at a top uni regardless :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hdoey
Personally I'd go with nottingham mate. I've had unconditionals from Nottingham, warwick, LSE and Leeds and I've chosen nottingham. The staff there seemed so friendly and helpful and the course structure and options available are really good (in my humble opinion). And with regards to the low amount of people getting a 2:1 don't worry about it, you should be aiming for a first anyways :tongue: good luck with your choice though, wherever you go you'll be at a top uni regardless :smile:

Ah the hubris of youth.
Reply 5
Original post by hdoey

Yup, I had unconditionals from Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, KCL and Durham, and went with Nottingham!

Original post by Norton1
Ah the hubris of youth.

Obviously everyone aims for a 1st but the probability of actually attaining one is really low! I'm actually a mature student in some terms (I turn 21 on the first day!) and I've done a year (and did well) at an American uni (financial issues forced me to withdraw. You guys think 9,000 pounds is bad, eek, try what I was paying!) so I hope I'll be a little better prepared for the work load. Anyway, if you strive and work your butt off, trying to get a first, you'll do the best you can and that's what matters in the end, right?

TL;DR? I chose Nottingham, I'm going to work my butt off and thank you to everyone for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending