The Student Room Group

You hit a parked car...

Poll

How would you react?

Let's say its a Sunday evening, you're heading home, and for what ever reason, you've managed to dent and scratch a parked car.

What do you do? Be honest

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How the hell do you hit a parked car unless you're utterly utterly useless?
I'd feel too guilty to drive off. I'd wait around or leave a note.
Reply 3
Haven't voted, because it really does depend on the situation.

My car has been hit at a car show couple years ago, and no note was left or anything, and no cctv picked it up. I bashed the bumper dent out anyway so no problem.

Hypothetically I would leave a note with my insurance details, it's purely not fair on other drivers and you wouldn't want the same to happen to you. But honestly, be careful when driving and you wont hit anything in the first place.
Reply 4
It's hard to say as when your in a situation it's always different. A minor scuff I would probably stay for a few minutes but if no one came and there were no CCTV or witness' I would probably leave providing the damage was minor. This has happened to both me and my parents and while not nice it's not the end of the world, a few hours with a DA polisher and some cutting compound usually sorts it.

However if the damage was significant I would do my best to contact them, after all if I was at fault I'd want to rectify my mistake and either offer to pay for the damage or go through insurance, I'd like to hope most people would do the same. I take pride in my car and I've got a lot of money in it and being a student I'd be mighty annoyed if someone caved in a bumper or a wing and left no trace! Having said that there's nothing you can do if theres no cameras or witness' so you just have to hope there are still decent people out there.
Reply 5
I'd be honest and leave a note, just because it's the right thing to do
Reply 6
Always wanted to do that thing where you write a note saying 'People think I am writing my details, but im not' then just drive away.
Someone did this to me the other day. They reversed into my parked car in Tesco car park, and I saw it happen as I came out of the shop.
They dented my car and to be fair they didn't drive straight off - although, I did run over as soon as it happened :B

She had somehow managed to rip half her bumper off and smash one of her rear lights (she was in a 13 plate Audi TT - whoops) whereas my car just had a tiny dent. Although my car wasn't massively damaged, I appreciated the fact that she gave me her details and apologised.

I think I'd have done the same - wait around for a few minutes to see if they turn up, and if they don't leave a note for them.
I'd leave a note with my name and number on it. I'd not leave insurance details on the note though.
I'd leave a note. My conscience would get the better of me.
Reply 10
I've decided to start taking up two spaces in some carparks (if its not that busy) so people don't park next to me. Getting fed up of getting scratches and dings on my car.
Reply 11
Original post by Camoxide
I've decided to start taking up two spaces in some carparks (if its not that busy) so people don't park next to me. Getting fed up of getting scratches and dings on my car.

Parking at the supermarket I always park as far away from the entrance as possible - always quieter as everyone "needs" to park within 20 metres of the entrance. No scratches/dents since I started doing this.
Reply 12
my friend scratched a parked car in a carpark without knowing (her music was on and she said it just sounded like she had ran over a bottle). a few days later she got a letter from the police and her insurance company. someone saw her do it and took her details.
shes studying a law degree and apparently by this happening she will have a criminal record (even though she didnt know she did it). so she may not be able to carry on her law degree!

before i heard this i would have drove off (my insurance is expensive enough with the no claims never mind without!)
but its not worth the criminal record!
Reply 13
Original post by TheMuppet
Parking at the supermarket I always park as far away from the entrance as possible - always quieter as everyone "needs" to park within 20 metres of the entrance. No scratches/dents since I started doing this.

i do this! then it doesnt matter if your parking is terrible either because nobody will be parking near you anyway. my boyfriend and family hate it though, theyre just lazy.
I did this.....and only damaged my car.....

It was a Saturday though.
Reply 15
If I drove into a parked car I'd question my competence not only as a driver but as a human being. If Darwin was right, that collision should really have been fatal anyway, so I'd have no time to think about it.
I don't drive, but if I did I'd probably just drive off. I'd rather not have to pay even more money for driving.
Reply 17
Original post by lucyab
my friend scratched a parked car in a carpark without knowing (her music was on and she said it just sounded like she had ran over a bottle). a few days later she got a letter from the police and her insurance company. someone saw her do it and took her details.
shes studying a law degree and apparently by this happening she will have a criminal record (even though she didnt know she did it). so she may not be able to carry on her law degree!

before i heard this i would have drove off (my insurance is expensive enough with the no claims never mind without!)

Depends if the victim wishes to press charges though usually. If she apologised and explained she panicked, and claimed to ignorant of the law, I'd doubt she'd get a record.
Original post by lucyab

I'm sorry but that sounds ridiculous :-/
Reply 19
Original post by sarahthegemini
I'm sorry but that sounds ridiculous :-/

How?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending