The Student Room Group

Medicine at Masaryk University in Brno (Czech Republic)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Np18
I know! I think there are 3 people from Northampton on this thread lol I am also a graduate did biomed and was initially deciding between a MSc or med by the time I was sure it was way past the oct deadline so thought instead of waiting another year then applying I should go abroad as both would take 6 years! :smile: plus I lie the idea of living abroad I guess living in Northamptonshire you might understand why lol

do you intend to do the revision courses available?

Oh I see, yeah it doesn't sound so bad and I think this route of going abroad to study these days is a popular choice. Ever been Kettering?

Yeah definitely thinking about the revision course because I havent touched A-level chemistry in ages and never done A-level maths too. I dont think the admissions exam is too difficult though.

Would you also apply in the UK ?
Reply 21
There is a form I have requested from the Abbey college but is there another way to fill out the application online?
Reply 22
Original post by dent89
Oh I see, yeah it doesn't sound so bad and I think this route of going abroad to study these days is a popular choice. Ever been Kettering?

Yeah definitely thinking about the revision course because I havent touched A-level chemistry in ages and never done A-level maths too. I dont think the admissions exam is too difficult though.

Would you also apply in the UK ?

Yeah seems like a lot of people are applying abroad! Yes I've been to Kettering well my brother goes to school there so I sometimes pick him up lol

i thought about the revision course but it's a further £1950 on top of the £250+1950 admin fee! I thought I'd see how I get on by myself lol the syllabus for the exam isn't too bad I guess the only good thing is on the course they give more example questions than what's available online!

I emailed Debbie Hughes she's in charge of admin at abbey college and she emailed me a registration "pack" then I just posted it back I got a conformation from her the next day :smile:
Reply 23
I don't think ill be applying in oct for the UK unless things don't work out here! Lol
Reply 24
how is evry1 gna prepare for the entrance exam coz all they give on the website is like sample questions?:smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Np18
Yeah seems like a lot of people are applying abroad! Yes I've been to Kettering well my brother goes to school there so I sometimes pick him up lol

i thought about the revision course but it's a further £1950 on top of the £250+1950 admin fee! I thought I'd see how I get on by myself lol the syllabus for the exam isn't too bad I guess the only good thing is on the course they give more example questions than what's available online!

I emailed Debbie Hughes she's in charge of admin at abbey college and she emailed me a registration "pack" then I just posted it back I got a conformation from her the next day :smile:

Ha Kettering is a horrid place hence my motivation to go abroad is increasing as the days move on. I am debating that revision course, my friend suggested me to go to the course as they pretty much tell you most of the things on the entrance exam. But it is alot of money! How are you funding this too?

O I thought that the £250+ £1950 included the revision course but i just read the letter again and your way of putting it makes more sense. If you dont pass the exam you get your £1950 back but not the £250.

When you posted your application did you include the £250 and £1950?
Reply 26
Original post by dent89
Ha Kettering is a horrid place hence my motivation to go abroad is increasing as the days move on. I am debating that revision course, my friend suggested me to go to the course as they pretty much tell you most of the things on the entrance exam. But it is

My friend also said the revision course is good but seems like a lot of money! I've also heard the model ques they give on the website or basically the same as in the exam but words/number/units change! lol Im not too sure but i think they also use the US units in chem...just what we need lol! My parents are basically funding me but I am looking at ways to find funding as i'd rather do it on my own! Not sure if there is a way of getting a loan/grant from anywhere....how are you funding it?

I only sent the £250 and i just filled out a form that comes with the application pack with the details for my account and they take the money when they receive the forms. Thought this was safer than sending a cheque or just transferring the money over and my application getting lost in the post or something lol
Reply 27
Original post by 128arin
how is evry1 gna prepare for the entrance exam coz all they give on the website is like sample questions?:smile:

They have an exam syllabus for each subject with all the topics listed on the website :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Np18
They have an exam syllabus for each subject with all the topics listed on the website :smile:

cheers! its quite a bit different to our usuall A level syllabus!
Reply 29
Original post by Np18
My friend also said the revision course is good but seems like a lot of money! I've also heard the model ques they give on the website or basically the same as in the exam but words/number/units change! lol Im not too sure but i think they also use the US units in chem...just what we need lol! My parents are basically funding me but I am looking at ways to find funding as i'd rather do it on my own! Not sure if there is a way of getting a loan/grant from anywhere....how are you funding it?

I only sent the £250 and i just filled out a form that comes with the application pack with the details for my account and they take the money when they receive the forms. Thought this was safer than sending a cheque or just transferring the money over and my application getting lost in the post or something lol

I think it would be a struggle looking for funding which is a shame! I am similar minded and would prefer to tackle the financial issues myself but if all goes well I can repay my debt. This is a massive step to take , sometimes i am confident i want to go and study at the Masaryk institute but then i get some doubt and fear! :s-smilie:

Yeah I think I will have the forms filled and ready to send ASAP (after the bank holiday partying of course :smile: lol If you wanted to do medicine Warwick and Leicester have taken on most my friends for the 4yr course, would that be a option for you? Keeping your options open is all I am suggesting :smile:

If you are confident with the practice questions then should be fine, I am just debating on going to the course for a week or something if i can. Not sure atm :s-smilie:

How old are you too? I am 24 !
Hello every, i'm a medical student at Masaryk university. I'm in my first year, 2nd semester. If you have any questions about the school or the course, i'll be glad to help.
Reply 31
Original post by Bunicornaces
Hello every, i'm a medical student at Masaryk university. I'm in my first year, 2nd semester. If you have any questions about the school or the course, i'll be glad to help.

Hi mate..ive applied for dentistry at masaryk and i have the entrance exam in may! i was just wondering if u can give me any tips or recommended reading? i know that their website provides sample and model questions...just wondering how you prepared?? thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by dent89
I think it would be a struggle looking for funding which is a shame! I am similar minded and would prefer to tackle the financial issues myself but if all goes well I can repay my debt. This is a massive step to take , sometimes i am confident i want to go and study at the Masaryk institute but then i get some doubt and fear! :s-smilie:

Yeah I think I will have the forms filled and ready to send ASAP (after the bank holiday partying of course :smile: lol If you wanted to do medicine Warwick and Leicester have taken on most my friends for the 4yr course, would that be a option for you? Keeping your options open is all I am suggesting :smile:

If you are confident with the practice questions then should be fine, I am just debating on going to the course for a week or something if i can. Not sure atm :s-smilie:

How old are you too? I am 24 !

I know what you mean about wanting to fund yourself! I'm thinking of looking into graduate loans etc just to see if i can borrow what i need! I think this fear and doubt is normal just because its such a big change!

I don't intend on doing anything over the weekend either lol! Oo yes thanks! I'll keep those unis in mind in case i need them come october! :smile:

I want to go on the course but an extra £1950 is holding me back! I'm 22
Original post by 128arin
Hi mate..ive applied for dentistry at masaryk and i have the entrance exam in may! i was just wondering if u can give me any tips or recommended reading? i know that their website provides sample and model questions...just wondering how you prepared?? thanks for your help! :smile:

The content of the exams are slightly different from the A-Level syllabus. I mean that in the sense that there are a few things that are included in the exams that they don't teach in A-Levels. The best way to revise is to try to cover all the topics that are listed on the syllabus which is on the website and definitely make sure that you do all the questions from past years and the model questions. Some of the past questions are repeated and if they're not exactly the same, they are very similar. Because some of the topics on the syllabus were not in my A-Level textbooks, I mostly used the internet to learn about them. The pass mark for dentistry is slightly higher than for medicine, so make sure that you don't leave any stones unturned and goodluck.
Reply 34
The content of the exams are slightly different from the A-Level syllabus. I mean that in the sense that there are a few things that are included in the exams that they don't teach in A-Levels. The best way to revise is to try to cover all the topics that are listed on the syllabus which is on the website and definitely make sure that you do all the questions from past years and the model questions. Some of the past questions are repeated and if they're not exactly the same, they are very similar. Because some of the topics on the syllabus were not in my A-Level textbooks, I mostly used the internet to learn about them. The pass mark for dentistry is slightly higher than for medicine, so make sure that you don't leave any stones unturned and goodluck.

thank you soo much broo! that really helps alot and i just wanted to know did you use your A level books or just the internet? and did you choose maths or physics?? thanks alot for your help really helpin me out here!:smile:
Hey guys, I'm have finished my first semester at Masaryk.The entrance exam covers A level knowledge mainly, i think there are past papers on the Masaryk website. Abbey college also do a 2 week revision course, i didn't go but i think the majority, if not all, the people who attended got in for brno , (Prague was more difficult)
Original post by 128arin
thank you soo much broo! that really helps alot and i just wanted to know did you use your A level books or just the internet? and did you choose maths or physics?? thanks alot for your help really helpin me out here!:smile:

I used my A-Level text books for the most part. The few topics that were not in my A-Level textbooks, I found them on the internet. I chose maths, mainly because the last time I did physics was in secondary school. However if you get in, you will have to study biophysics in your first semester.
Reply 37
I used my A-Level text books for the most part. The few topics that were not in my A-Level textbooks, I found them on the internet. I chose maths, mainly because the last time I did physics was in secondary school. However if you get in, you will have to study biophysics in your first semester.

thanks alot this really helped me out!! by the way how is the university atmosphere and the city itself?
Reply 38
Hey guys,

I will like to go on the revision course. How can I get on it? The link on the university is not helping me. I went on the Abby college website as I have seen some of you mention it but I can not see the revision course on the website. Also how much is it to apply for medicine and do the revision course? Also how,long is the revision course is it worth it.

Thankyou
Reply 39
Original post by Dr H
Hey guys,

I will like to go on the revision course. How can I get on it? The link on the university is not helping me. I went on the Abby college website as I have seen some of you mention it but I can not see the revision course on the website. Also how much is it to apply for medicine and do the revision course? Also how,long is the revision course is it worth it.

Thankyou

cmucas website :smile:
it will total around £4000 for the 2 week preparation course in Malvern

Quick Reply

Latest