The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Accommodation Offers: Meet Those In Your Halls!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else in Rutland?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 221
I'm in Derby :-) anyone else? xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by Dslash
Same! :biggrin:

Me too! Xxx
Reply 223
Just got Ancaster en-suite :smile:) I spotted that many people are quite anxious about that hall and it came as a suprise to me. You have to be self-confident and help me to create the most funky hall community ever! :biggrin:
Reply 224
Can anyone give me advice on what to do?
My accommodation is going to be about £6000 a year paid in the 3 instalments, and i'm only getting £3000 maintenance loan and my parents can't afford it. what can I do? :frown:
Reply 225
Original post by AliceXRXH
Can anyone give me advice on what to do?
My accommodation is going to be about £6000 a year paid in the 3 instalments, and i'm only getting £3000 maintenance loan and my parents can't afford it. what can I do? :frown:

Firstly, where did you get that maintenance loan amount from?
Secondly, what accommodation did you pick?
Reply 226
Original post by Tweek
Firstly, where did you get that maintenance loan amount from?
Secondly, what accommodation did you pick?

The student finance website after adding in all my details, and an en-suit room which I know is the most expensive anyway but I'm doing medicine and so want a decent place to be able to work in and be able to use facilities at the times I need to.
Reply 227
I just got Cripps hall but I'm not sure whether to accept it :s-smilie:, it seems so far from the history building...
Original post by Su...
I just got Cripps hall but I'm not sure whether to accept it :s-smilie:, it seems so far from the history building...

It's about a 10/15 minute walk lol! That's about the distance most people walk to their buildings, as most academic departments are at the East side of campus. So all the north halls (rutland, sherwood, lenton&wortley, derby and lincoln) have to walk there (over the massive hill known as 'the downs') whilst all the Westerners (Ancaster, Cavendish, Nightingale, Wiloughboobies and Florence Booters) walk past the lake and SU building every morning to get to theirs.

You're just the other way round, Cripps is in the East and your departments in the west. AND you get to walk through millennium garden everyday! (google it, it's stunning). The campus is a pleasure to walk through, so just enjoy! :smile:
Reply 229
Original post by AliceXRXH
The student finance website after adding in all my details, and an en-suit room which I know is the most expensive anyway but I'm doing medicine and so want a decent place to be able to work in and be able to use facilities at the times I need to.

I thought the entitled amount was around £3,500?

Either way if you can't afford to pay the rest of the accommodation fee yourself you don't have much choice but to switch your room option.

My maintenance loan doesn't fully cover my accommodation either so I'm having to pay the rest out of my savings account. You'll have to do the same. Sadly the way the financing is set out it's beneficial to those in low or high income households. But if your in the middle it pretty much screws you over.

if you#re in a household with an income of more than around £40,000 but your parents don't make enough to help you out financially basically you can't afford to go to university without taking more loans out.

You have a few options. Firstly, change your room choice, I wanted to go en-suite too but it's just not happening, it's an extra £1,100 or so and I have better things to spend that on.
Getting a job if you don't already, especially a summer one.
Ask relatives for assistance.

There's not much you can do. If you're not entitled t bursaries/extra grants then essentially you're just being screwed over by the poor system set in place.
Reply 230
I might change to shared bathroom, it's just really annoying because my parents earn just over £40000 but then we have £12000 deducted in tax, so if It were based on net income rather than gross I'd be getting extra help and my parents just can't afford the fees, especially in the 3 instalments, we might have been ok if it was monthly instalments. Who can afford to just give away £2000 at a time anyway?!
I already have a job and now I'm just going to have to spend my summer working -.- fun.
Original post by Su...

Don't give up a Cripps room! It's one of the nicest halls.
Reply 232
Original post by Su...

Cripps is a pretty hall, I'd keep it. As for the walk, it might look a long way on the map but the campus is smaller than you'd think. I'm in Sherwood and the walk all the way down to the medical school only takes about 14 minutes. Like someone else said, your 'commute' is also through some really lovely manicured gardens :smile:
Reply 233
Original post by ohdearinsanityy
It's about a 10/15 minute walk lol! That's about the distance most people walk to their buildings, as most academic departments are at the East side of campus. So all the north halls (rutland, sherwood, lenton&wortley, derby and lincoln) have to walk there (over the massive hill known as 'the downs') whilst all the Westerners (Ancaster, Cavendish, Nightingale, Wiloughboobies and Florence Booters) walk past the lake and SU building every morning to get to theirs.

You're just the other way round, Cripps is in the East and your departments in the west. AND you get to walk through millennium garden everyday! (google it, it's stunning). The campus is a pleasure to walk through, so just enjoy! :smile:

You're right, the garden it looks amazing
(edited 11 years ago)
anyone in Nightingale Hall? :biggrin: got my offer today!
Original post by emmaislazy
Anyone else in Rutland?

yess!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wooo! Just accepted the offer but slightly nervous after some of the comments on these threads... Should be fun though :smile:
Original post by emmaislazy
Wooo! Just accepted the offer but slightly nervous after some of the comments on these threads... Should be fun though :smile:

yes i.know the whole take it up the arse thing. i figured its just friendly banter...if anything it makes rutland better because of comraderie etc.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just accepted an offer for large single study in Florence Boot! Anybody else going to be a florence booter? :smile: If so, what are you studying? :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending