The Student Room Group

GDL Exemptions?

Hi there,

I'm planning on going to Uni next year to study History (non-law), however they do advise/endorse studying 2 modules out of your department in your first and second years.

I am considering taking 2 law modules, so my question is that if I took Law of Tort and Contract Law, would that mean I would not have to take these modules when studying the GDL? And so decrease the workload from 7 to 5 modules if I took the GDL?

Thanks,
Richie
I think you need to have done at least 3 modules already to be exempt from anything. I took a couple myself as a non-law student but couldn't get an exemption for just two,so did them again on the GDL.
Reply 2
Original post by maghreblover
I think you need to have done at least 3 modules already to be exempt from anything. I took a couple myself as a non-law student but couldn't get an exemption for just two,so did them again on the GDL.

Thanks for your help.

I found this on the SRA Handbook:

"The Solicitors Regulation Authority does not grant exemptions for fewer than four CPE subjects from among the foundation subjects and one further area of legal study (see Section 3.1 above). Students who have passed no more than three subjects cannot apply for exemptions from CPE subjects; if they wish to complete the academic stage of training, they must undertake a full CPE programme."

So there's a 4 or more rule for exemptions. I'm allowed 2 modules spare in the first and second year at Uni, so it's something I'll consider.

I guess any prior knowledge going into the GDL will be beneficial though.
Original post by RichieG123

I guess any prior knowledge going into the GDL will be beneficial though.

Definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending