The Student Room Group

Is public transport REALLY a no-go place to approach women?

Scroll to see replies

Once walked the length of the bus mid-journey to talk to this beautiful girl, safe to say it went well and the other passengers were enjoying watching me do it haha!
Original post by Millie228
Stick to bars and parties, school/work/gym for daytime. In other words, places where you both are due to a mutual connection/interest.

Um no....?

Why limit yourself? Doesn't make sense, if I see a woman who I think is attractive and approachable I will approach regardless of where, obviously within reason!
Reply 62
Original post by Anthony.BF
Um no....?

Why limit yourself? Doesn't make sense, if I see a woman who I think is attractive and approachable I will approach regardless of where, obviously within reason!

You can do whatever you want.

I was just responding to the OP, giving him a female point of view, as I am guessing that is what he was looking for.
I think it's fine to approach women on public transport- you've just got to go about it the right way. Watch her body language first, not in a creepy staring way but just glance over. If she is quite open and relaxed then it might be worth making a move, if not then probably best to leave it. I really don't/ wouldn't mind a guy approaching me on public transport normally- probably add some excitement to my journey- but if I've had a really bad day or just have a lot on my mind then the last thing I want is someone I don't know distracting me. Likewise listen in to her answers, if they're quite short and blunt best to back off, if she engages in the conversation and seems to be enjoying it then continue.

Definatly never make her feel like she is trapped in though. Probably the worst experiance I've ever had on a bus was last year. I sat down on an almost empty top deck (so lots of seats avaliable) to have a man get up from a few rows behind me to sit next to me. I thought (well still do) he might be a little bit special so thought I'd just be nice and talk to him when he started conversation- uncomfortable but just thought I was being a decent person. Then he started asking personal questions and got closer to me- at this point I was very uncomfortable. I spent the entire journey worried he was going to do something and felt like I couldn't get off early because I was scared he would touch me if I did had to ask him to move/ move past him.

But on a happier note if a boy (preferably good looking :wink: ) came up to me with a bit of a cheeky attitude at the right time I'd be more than happy to talk :b.

Oh and make sure you pick the right age group, can promise you purvey old men advances are not appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by SloaneRanger
At least you can't complain your bus journeys as being dull :wink:

The whole skirt and legs comment, could have perhaps been put over in a better way.... some people aren't good with words.

Going up to a girl and saying "nice legs, what time do they open". Is a polite way of getting a slap.

Yeah that would definitely be a slap deserving comment lol :tongue:
Well I wouldn't mind it if I was interested in the guy, but I think the majority of women find it a little awkward.

All I can say is if you really must do it on public transport then please please please make sure that she has given you encouraging signs!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 66
Original post by iJess
Yeah that would definitely be a slap deserving comment lol :tongue:

Even worse if you don't notice her boyfriend on the bus who is a tank looking no-neck dude or angry chav

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by datpiff
Even worse if you don't notice her boyfriend on the bus who is a tank looking no-neck dude or angry chav

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah that would be funny
It depends. The only time I think it's cool is if you see him/her on the bus/train everyday and like you smile at each other... But that's how friendships could start too so I'd say that was pretty fine. Only do it if they give you a signal they're interested. A guy came up to me on the train the other day asking to sit next to me (there were plenty of other seats and he'd just got up from one!) I literally said no he couldn't. Was not impressed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
You would be surprised, our culture is very different to that in other countries if you have noticed. In other places its quite normal to start up a conversation in a public place with a stranger. London is of course probably the worst place to do that, everyone is in a foul mood and just wanting to get to where they need to.

Yeah like in America its meant to be perfectly normal to approach someone in the supermarket. Could you imagine how creepy and desparate someone would look if they did that over here?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
Is it really the worst place to approach women?

I wouldn't say so, I get talking to women on the tube all the time and sometimes I get their numbers so no I wouldn't say it is the worst place to meet women.
So if Ryan Reynolds lookalike does that....i doubt you will be creeped out....more like swept off your feet :tongue:

I wouldn't be creeped out. I'd be furious that they were so clumsy. They'd definately be getting yelled at. And believe me, there'd be no "nice" conversation afterwards.

Why the Hell would anyone think that a guy spilling his drink on a girl is going to sweep her off her feet?
Reply 72
depends, are you good looking?
Reply 73
Girl on the platform's smile
I wish people would talk on the underground. I mean, not even for a number, sometimes its nice just to have a random conversation. However most people just want to get from point A to B, and don't really want to talk to anyone they don't know.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I wouldn't be creeped out. I'd be furious that they were so clumsy. They'd definately be getting yelled at. And believe me, there'd be no "nice" conversation afterwards.

Why the Hell would anyone think that a guy spilling his drink on a girl is going to sweep her off her feet?

Movies.
Original post by ThatPerson
Movies.

Unrealistic.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Unrealistic.

I didn't advocate it.
Original post by ThatPerson
I didn't advocate it.

I know :smile:

Just to get my two cents in - I don't mind being chatted to on public transport, but be cautious about it OP. It's a place where women are fairly regularly "accidentally" groped, asked really inappropriate questions, ordered to give their numbers out... Be prepared to get very good at reading body language and knowing if a girl is comfortable or not.
Original post by datpiff
Is it really the worst place to approach women? Is there a way of ever doing it without feeling awkward and making her feel very awkward? It's frustrating because everyday you have to use this and you're surrounded by women you find attractive all the time, though its the most depressing place ever (just look at the drivers and conductors - they're miserable as hell)

I find that the only way people ever talk on public transport is if something bad happens (e.g. An accident), but you can't go causing them haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a woman, I'd be flattered if someone approached me on public transport, we like the attention of having someone trying to get our attention. I mean, it isn't the most ideal way of picking someone up, but if you hit it off, there's no worries, its cliché meeting people in a bar

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending