The Student Room Group
Original post by Feefifofum
Spoilers! :p:

I heard that one reason for the Tardis re-design was simply that they had to move studio and were going to a smaller set, therefore smaller Tardis. The Tardis is now smaller on the inside... :p:

Actually the guy who designed it explained that it's exactly the same size, but in fact now it looks bigger than the previous one because of the layout.
Original post by Dalek1099
I haven't seen any sexism in the show care to elaborate:confused:

It's basically the fact that he seems unable to write female characters without defining them by either the men they relate to, or their reproductive process. Has Amy had a single story which didn't revolve around being pregnant (River/Melody) or being in love (with Rory, and the Doctor to some extent)? Everything about her character is centred on the Doctor and Rory, she has very little defining her of her own accord. This point of view quite clearly comes from Moffat because RTD was a lot better at writing fully-formed and realistic female characters. This quote from an interview with Moffat sums it up:
There’s this issue you’re not allowed to discuss: that women are needy. Men can go for longer, more happily, without women. That’s the truth. We don’t, as little boys, play at being married—we try to avoid it for as long as possible. Meanwhile women are out there hunting for husbands.

This is a really good article with plenty of examples from Moffat's writing if you want more.
The reason I dislike Moffat isn't so much his complex stories but more the fact he never resolves anything properly and writes himself into corners where there's only 5 minutes of the show left and something has to happen to save everything...
Oooo, I'm very excited!! Having a big Doctor Who sleepover, but not got to think about how I can make food that is Dr Who related... maybe a Tardis cake?

Original post by greeneyedgirl
The reason I dislike Moffat isn't so much his complex stories but more the fact he never resolves anything properly and writes himself into corners where there's only 5 minutes of the show left and something has to happen to save everything...

This is so true!
Original post by Watch Key Phone
The two main criticisms I've seen against him are a) Bad writing. That he overcomplicates things and is just trying to show off, which ends up making it difficult to watch and unnecessarily flashy. b) Sexism and misogyny, characterised in the way that he writes female characters and male/female dynamics. Also there are some pretty dodgy quotes from him in interviews about how "the fact is that women are needy", things like that.

I hate to break this to you but did you see the RTD era? The female characters were 1 step away from humping the doctor's leg (the same was true with Amy at first). This bad writing of female characters has been an issue throughout the new series.

Take for example the episode School Reunion from the second series which was essentially a character assassination of one of the strongest female characters in the original series where she was written as 'waiting for the doctor' and gets into a cat fight with Rose over the Doctor.

I personally don't have too many issues with Moffat's writing as I really hated the RTD era. So to me Moffat has been a pretty damn good improvement.

Original post by MusicMaestro97
Fair enough, I never liked River Song either-although I've enjoyed most of the episodes since her took over from RTD (except obvious ones like Dinosaurs On a Space Ship).

I have enjoyed most of the episodes Moffat era and I particularly enjoyed Dinosaurs on a space ship. I mean that was a episode based on a silly name, but they were still able to do a good story, with some very silly moments granted, while producing the strongest villain of any of the new series.
Reply 9305
Original post by Kalliope
Oooo, I'm very excited!! Having a big Doctor Who sleepover, but not got to think about how I can make food that is Dr Who related... maybe a Tardis cake?

Fish fingers and custard?

Absolutely. The Power of Three was the worst for that - Doctor saves the entire earth by sonicking a computer screen?! Hmm... :hmmm:
Original post by Politics Student

I have enjoyed most of the episodes Moffat era and I particularly enjoyed Dinosaurs on a space ship. I mean that was a episode based on a silly name, but they were still able to do a good story, with some very silly moments granted, while producing the strongest villain of any of the new series.

Couldn't stand DoaSS personally. I thought it was dreadful and was just just a case of wouldn't it be cool if we combinded dinosaurs and space? Let's just put them on a spaceship. The fans will go wild!
Absolutely. The Power of Three was the worst for that - Doctor saves the entire earth by sonicking a computer screen?! Hmm... :hmmm:

Don't mention that "ending" to me :facepalm:

That ruined the entire episode for me - right up until that point it was a really good episode, they built it up brilliant. It's almost like he was writing for a two-part episode, then got told that they needed to fit it to a single episode and just thought "ah, sonic'll fix it, that'll do".
Reply 9310
What annoys me is that the best episodes/highest rated of the RTD period were often written by other people. A few of these were even written by Moffat.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Reply 9311
TOMMOROW!:badger::badger::badger::badger:
Original post by ReeceJ
What annoys me is that the best episodes/highest rated of the RTD period were often written by other people. A few of these were even written by Moffat.

Oh yeah, I think Moffat is a great single episode writer when constrained by a plot of a series. I don't think he's a good series writer.
Reply 9313
Oh yeah, I think Moffat is a great single episode writer when constrained by a plot of a series. I don't think he's a good series writer.

Exactly. He's best at two or three episodes. This is why Sherlock is so good. Three 1 and a half hour long episodes which works well.

Original post by Politics Student
I hate to break this to you but did you see the RTD era? The female characters were 1 step away from humping the doctor's leg (the same was true with Amy at first). This bad writing of female characters has been an issue throughout the new series.

Take for example the episode School Reunion from the second series which was essentially a character assassination of one of the strongest female characters in the original series where she was written as 'waiting for the doctor' and gets into a cat fight with Rose over the Doctor.

I personally don't have too many issues with Moffat's writing as I really hated the RTD era. So to me Moffat has been a pretty damn good improvement.

RTD's female characters still had aspects of their personalities which didn't revolve around the Doctor/other men, though. Rose was in love with the Doctor but she also had other important values. She wanted to change her life for the better, she cared about her mum and Mickey. Martha was similar. Although she was in love with the Doctor, she took charge of her own life and could out when she needed to. The next time we saw her she had her own career and was doing things in her own right. Apparently Moffat wrote the scene where we see Martha spontaneously married to Mickey when Ten goes back to check on his old companions before regeneration - the most ridiculous and pointless character development I've ever seen. Moffat also wrote Blink - an otherwise good episode - where the main character, a really well-developed female for a change - ends up getting together with the nearest man at the end. Did we think she was independent and strong on her own? Whoops, we were wrong. Turns out she needed a man all along and just didn't realise. Wouldn't things have been easier if she'd noticed she was head-over-heels with him in the first place, everything would have been done much quicker. /sarcasm.
Original post by Aula
Fish fingers and custard?

Well, of course!
RTD's female characters still had aspects of their personalities which didn't revolve around the Doctor/other men, though. Rose was in love with the Doctor but she also had other important values. She wanted to change her life for the better, she cared about her mum and Mickey. Martha was similar. Although she was in love with the Doctor, she took charge of her own life and could out when she needed to. The next time we saw her she had her own career and was doing things in her own right. Apparently Moffat wrote the scene where we see Martha spontaneously married to Mickey when Ten goes back to check on his old companions before regeneration - the most ridiculous and pointless character development I've ever seen. Moffat also wrote Blink - an otherwise good episode - where the main character, a really well-developed female for a change - ends up getting together with the nearest man at the end. Did we think she was independent and strong on her own? Whoops, we were wrong. Turns out she needed a man all along and just didn't realise. Wouldn't things have been easier if she'd noticed she was head-over-heels with him in the first place, everything would have been done much quicker. /sarcasm.

I know, especially as she was supposed to be engaged to another guy as well!
I know, especially as she was supposed to be engaged to another guy as well!

Precisely!

I completley agree. I think, however, that we need another companion that isnt completley Doctor obsessed (with the exception of Donna, but thats another rant :P) Due to the type of character we've seen I think Clara will be similar to past companions.

Also, blink is one of my all time favourite episodes
I like doctor who. I was thinking back to the Asylum of the Daleks episode, I didn't realise that the Doctor was immune to the nanocloud, so I assumed that there would be some story where the doctor would become a puppet to the daleks, would've been awesome (you know because of giving his bracelet to Amy). Anyway, I'm interested in the whole oswin/clara being the same...

Latest