The Student Room Group

Hunting:Your views?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Where'sPerry?
Because who on Earth opposes caring about animals?

People with messed up prioritys and too much time on there hands.
Reply 81
Original post by la95
What a laughable thing to say. I think you will notice that Miser, who agreed with my post, is male, as are many other individuals in this thread who are against hunting.

I said most, not all.
Don't strawman my statement, it's intecltually dishonest.
And that's bad crack my friend.

Furthermore, I have arrived at the conclusion that it is immoral to kill animals through a process of rationalisation and reason. I do not believe such processes to be gender-specific.

I arrived at the oposite conclusion through a process of rationalisation and reason.
I do not beleive such process to be gender-specific, but I have noticed personally a huge bias in the trend.

Yes, I am a vegetarian.

Good for you!
Its understandable from a traditional/cultural or survival perspective. However, if you're doing it purely for the 'thrill' or money then it's selfish.
Reply 83
Original post by mf2004
First of all I'd like to say that if you ask for "your views" then you should expect mainly answers from the opposite of what you've proposed (at least at the start of a thread)

Oh I was not only expecting it, it was my aim.

and therefore you've effectively invited people to bash on your beliefs.

This was the aim.
You've not been very accepting of the fact that other people may have views that differ from yours sometimes dismissing them on dubious grounds. (the way you've used "evolution" and "natural" for example)

I have not dismissed any reasons, and I am more than accepting of the fact that people have views that differ from mine.

I am used to people having differing views on every opinion I hold from religion, to polygamy, to hunting, I wouldn't last long in the real world If I couldn't handle a different view.

Secondly as someone who eats meat and goes fishing (because I enjoy it, not because I need the food) it seems rather strange to me to enjoy the actual killing. I do not have a problem with hunting, even for sport. I also understand it can be exciting to stalk an animal and even shooting it, as with most things that are technically difficult it's nice to pull it off.

Then you understand why I enoy the hunt, a collection and use of skills brings pride.

However to then not use the animal you have killed is in my opinion a lack of respect, and the actual enjoyment of the kill and or suffering is something I think is quite sad.

Agreed on both counts.

In my opinion any loss of life by itself is a sad thing. I also don't have a problem with posing with the animal as long as the grin is not due to having killed (again it seems rather strange to smile at a loss of life in my opinion) but rather due to the technical/physical challenges that have been overcome.

Agreed again.

Completely agree with this, people who go "ewwwww" when it comes up in conversation that the steak they're eating used to be alive annoy me.

Heh, people compartmentalize well.
Reply 84
Original post by tashazzz
I don't agree with it whatsoever. It's cruel and pointless. What bugs me about humans is that they seem to think animals are there for the taking. They don't believe that they have feelings. Anyone who has a pet will know that they get happy, excited, scared and sad just like us. It's really cowardly to inflict that pain onto an animal for your own fun and I find the pictures disgusting to be honest.

Thank you for your opinion.

Sometimes it's hard to put yourself in other peoples shoes, and I realize this.
Reply 85
Original post by ChemicalBond
Cruel to be honest. Sorry, but I find the pictures disgusting. I genuinely cannot understand how anyone can get their kicks out of killing animals! :s-smilie: Yes, I am a vegetarian. No, I don't wear leather or anything of the kind. I also agree with what mf2004 above just said- you asked for peoples' views, yet you instantly dismiss the opinions of those of us who find it wrong.

I am confused on this count, can you please quote where I have "dismissed" peoples views.

I may have contested certain points, maybe even aggressively(I like to debate rough) but I certainly had no intention of Dismissing anyone's views.

To this effect I will now edit my OP and apologies if it appears as though I have done as much, it most certainly was not my intent.
Reply 86
Original post by cleveradam
Its understandable from a traditional/cultural or survival perspective. However, if you're doing it purely for the 'thrill' or money then it's selfish.

Don't worry, im certainly not doing it for the money, this stuff is expensivveeee.
Reply 87
Original post by tashazzz
I don't agree with it whatsoever. It's cruel and pointless. What bugs me about humans is that they seem to think animals are there for the taking. They don't believe that they have feelings. Anyone who has a pet will know that they get happy, excited, scared and sad just like us. It's really cowardly to inflict that pain onto an animal for your own fun and I find the pictures disgusting to be honest.

Hunters do not inflict pain, emotional or physical, on an animal that they would not experience otherwise at some point.
Reply 88
Original post by Syrokal
I said most, not all.
Don't strawman my statement, it's intecltually dishonest.
And that's bad crack my friend.

I arrived at the oposite conclusion through a process of rationalisation and reason.
I do not beleive such process to be gender-specific, but I have noticed personally a huge bias in the trend.

Good for you!

I did not 'strawman' your statement. I said Miser and a number of other males in this thread are against hunting. I took the liberty of looking through the entire thread and whilst it is impossible to directly quantify the number of males and females who are against hunting as very few people seem to be completely for or against, it does seem to me as though roughly equal number of males and females are against hunting. However, more males do seem to err on the side of being for hunting. However, it is also important to take into account the fact that the responses in this thread are almost certainly not representative of the opinions of the general population, and thus it would be silly for either of us to attempt to draw conclusions regarding gender differences in views on hunting. Now THAT would be intellectually dishonest.

Now, on to the part of your post that interests me the most. Could you please outline this rational process, step-by-step? I am very interested to see how you justify killing animals.
Reply 89
I really hope these namby-pamby crybabies don't get into government one day and ban these things.
Reply 90
Original post by la95
I did not 'strawman' your statement. I said Miser and a number of other males in this thread are against hunting. I took the liberty of looking through the entire thread and whilst it is impossible to directly quantify the number of males and females who are against hunting as very few people seem to be completely for or against, it does seem to me as though roughly equal number of males and females are against hunting. However, more males do seem to err on the side of being for hunting. However, it is also important to take into account the fact that the responses in this thread are almost certainly not representative of the opinions of the general population, and thus it would be silly for either of us to attempt to draw conclusions regarding gender differences in views on hunting. Now THAT would be intellectually dishonest.

Now, on to the part of your post that interests me the most. Could you please outline this rational process, step-by-step? I am very interested to see how you justify killing animals.

Sure thing!

1)Animals do not have inherent rights.
2)Following 1) there is no reason why I should not be able to hunt them, weather that be for Food, Materials, or to test and hone a variety of skills that I possess.
3)I enjoy the process of the Hunt
4)Being a adult of sound mind and free will, I am allowed to peruse interests and activity's that I enjoy as long as they do not endanger other human beings or break the law of the land or the Aesir.
5)I enjoy hunting, it is Legal and does not excessively endanger others.
6)I may Hunt.
Hunting as a sport is barbaric and completely unnescessary. The only time I would condone shooting an animal is to put it out of it's misery of for pest control. (Only then because it more humane than using other ways such as snares etc.) Foxhunting is the worst. I would gladly punch anyone if I saw them partaking in such a cruel hobby.
Reply 92
Original post by Syrokal
Oh I was not only expecting it, it was my aim.

This was the aim.

I have not dismissed any reasons, and I am more than accepting of the fact that people have views that differ from mine.

Though it might seem clear to you that you are accepting other point of views the general trend of the thread indicates not everyone else has understood this.

Then you understand why I enoy the hunt, a collection and use of skills brings pride.

Agreed on both counts.

Agreed again.

Yes, I do, my main concern was that the part you enjoyed was the killing rather than the hunt. If that isn't the case I have no opposition with the act of hunting. I do find the act of not using the carcass disrespectful though. I know it will be eaten by other animals but imo that's not the point, if you kill something it's death should serve you a purpose. If you can't find one for it then I would do as you do in fishing, get to the point where you could kill it but then leave it. I know this is easier to do in fishing than in hunting because in fishing once you've landed the fish the kill is guaranteed whereas in hunting it isn't until you've damaged the animal too badly to let it go.

I don't know if you've replied to this thread trying to anger people by portraying a slightly disrespectful (to the animal you're killing) image, if it's come across unintentionally (it is definitely something that comes across like that) or if it is how you actually think. As you've said you agree that not using the carcass is disrespectful then I'm hoping it is the first or second option.

If you agree on both those points and made it clear from the beginning I think you may have encountered less negative responses, and might have a rather interesting debate with some of the people on here but as it is you've rubbed up too many people the wrong way which leads to the ones who had interesting points just thinking you're too ott and stubborn to be worth discussing with.

Anyway back onto the original question, a summary of my thinking:
As long as the actual killing doesn't bring joy to anyone, but rather the technical aspect is what people enjoy, I think that hunting is fine. With the condition that animal suffering is kept to a minimum. I do for example have a problem with the woman that shot an elephant with an arrow and left it to bleed out just to prove the point she could kill an elephant with a arrow.
Reply 93
Original post by Guru Jason
Hunting as a sport is barbaric and completely unnescessary. The only time I would condone shooting an animal is to put it out of it's misery of for pest control. (Only then because it more humane than using other ways such as snares etc.) Foxhunting is the worst. I would gladly punch anyone if I saw them partaking in such a cruel hobby.

Foxes are nasty little parasites that kill livestock for the heck of it. Stop getting so emotionally attached to everything.

It's funny how you think the most appropriate response would be punching someone you dislike, I very much doubt you would actually do it though, considering the fact that it is the hunter who has the gun.
Reply 94
I don't understand the 'sport' element. You're pitted against an intellectually inferior opponent and have loads of gadgets to easily overcompensate any physical advantage they might have over you, and you are set to lose nothing but some time whilst they are set to lose their life. It's too one sided to count as a sport.

Hunting to eat (and clothe and whatever else) makes sense though, there's no reason you should have to go to the butcher or supermarket to get meat, and it's better that you know where it came from.
Original post by Arnob204
Foxes are nasty little parasites that kill livestock for the heck of it. Stop getting so emotionally attached to everything.

It's funny how you think the most appropriate response would be punching someone you dislike, I very much doubt you would actually do it though, considering the fact that it is the hunter who has the gun.

We humans have a higher level of reason and understanding and should realise that hunting for sport is wrong. I never said that foxes shouldn't have their population controlled. Hunting them with dogs and guns isn't the way to do it.

I stand by my point that I would physically have a go at anyone whom I saw partake in foxhunting.
Reply 96
People are too quick to forget that animals and humans are not as different as we might like to think.

Taking pleasure in the suffering of your fellow animals is pretty sad, and some of the attempts I'm seeing to justify it in this thread are laughably weak.
Reply 97
Original post by mf2004
Though it might seem clear to you that you are accepting other point of views the general trend of the thread indicates not everyone else has understood this.

I agree, I edited my OP to apologise for this, and ill make an extra effort to not come across this way.
I think mainly my disagreement has become confused with dismissal.

Yes, I do, my main concern was that the part you enjoyed was the killing rather than the hunt. If that isn't the case I have no opposition with the act of hunting.

Oh lord no, I don't enjoy the Killing as the actual taking of the life, like some blood crazed nut.

I enjoy the Kill as in that is the completion of the Hunt, the pinnacle of all the skills and attributes involved.

I do find the act of not using the carcass disrespectful though. I know it will be eaten by other animals but imo that's not the point, if you kill something it's death should serve you a purpose.

I agree completely which is why I always use the carcass, as I have stated in my OP and other times through the thread.

If you can't find one for it then I would do as you do in fishing, get to the point where you could kill it but then leave it. I know this is easier to do in fishing than in hunting because in fishing once you've landed the fish the kill is guaranteed whereas in hunting it isn't until you've damaged the animal too badly to let it go.

I don't know if you've replied to this thread trying to anger people by portraying a slightly disrespectful (to the animal you're killing) image, if it's come across unintentionally (it is definitely something that comes across like that) or if it is how you actually think. As you've said you agree that not using the carcass is disrespectful then I'm hoping it is the first or second option.

I had no intent of coming across as disrespectful, far from it.
I have a great respect for nature and animals, however that respect does have limits.
Reply 98
Original post by Syrokal
Sure thing!

1)Animals do not have inherent rights.
2)Following 1) there is no reason why I should not be able to hunt them, weather that be for Food, Materials, or to test and hone a variety of skills that I possess.
3)I enjoy the process of the Hunt
4)Being a adult of sound mind and free will, I am allowed to peruse interests and activity's that I enjoy as long as they do not endanger other human beings or break the law of the land or the Aesir.
5)I enjoy hunting, it is Legal and does not excessively endanger others.
6)I may Hunt.

1) Surely rights are a human construct and thus humans do not have 'inherent' rights either?

2) Let us discard my response to 1) and assume that humans do have rights whilst animals do not. Does the fact that something does not have rights necessitate that it is therefore morally justifiable to kill it? If so, why?

3) Why does the fact that you enjoy something make that activity justifiable? I am sure serial killers enjoy killing human beings - does that make it justifiable to do so?

4) What if they endanger other living creatures, as does hunting? Where is the distinction between harming humans and harming non-human animals? Legality, in my opinion, is a poor justification - laws are constructed by humans and are thus victim to the same fallibility as any other view.

5) I believe that all of these points have been addressed above.

6) Refer to above.
Reply 99
Original post by Guru Jason
We humans have a higher level of reason and understanding and should realise that hunting for sport is wrong. I never said that foxes shouldn't have their population controlled. Hunting them with dogs and guns isn't the way to do it.

I stand by my point that I would physically have a go at anyone whom I saw partake in foxhunting.

Can you explain to me the corrolation between "We are smart ergo hunting for sport is wrong"

The two seem unrelated to me.

Thank you!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending