The Student Room Group

Hugo Chavez- Why does the media hate him?

I hadn't paid much attention to it until I went to South america. It is pretty clear there were large numbers of people who liked him and didn't like him.
But in Britain all we hear is one side. Some of the stuff the papers say is so obviously stupid and has been refuted- eg here- http://lamatters.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/venezuela-busting-some-neocon-myths_22.html

Then I watched this film as well...

So my question is, why does the media hate him so much and what do you think about it all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bigal11
I hadn't paid much attention to it until I went to South america. It is pretty clear there were large numbers of people who liked him and didn't like him.
But in Britain all we hear is one side. Some of the stuff the papers say is so obviously stupid and has been refuted- eg here- http://lamatters.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/venezuela-busting-some-neocon-myths_22.html

Then I watched this film as well...

So my question is, why does the media hate him so much and what do you think about it all?

because our media is controlled by the right, and chavez was on the left
Because he was a tad authoritarian, and even if he abused his power to help poor people he still abused his power.
Reply 3
How did he abuse his power to help the poor?
(Not questioning, just want to know what he did.)
Reply 4
Original post by Elm Tree

Theres a lot of western politicians that abuse their power and go even further by embezzling funds.

Rhdanmansusus (whatever his name is) = neo-liberal

Hugo Chavez: "neoliberalism is a cancer!"

:wink:
Reply 5
His regime had its faults, but overall it actually did quite a bit of good for Venezuela. What put the western media off Hugo Chavez was his habit of vehemently opposing anything that western countries proposed and deliberately striking up a friendship with places like Gaddafi's Libya and Iran for, as far as I can see, no other reason than because it would annoy the Americans.
(edited 11 years ago)
The media is there to serve the interests of the rich and powerful. Hugo Chavez was distinctly against the rich and looked at the interests of the poor. Viva La Hugo Chavez!!
Original post by Mukhabarat
Rhdanmansusus (whatever his name is) = neo-liberal

That description of me is even more wrong than your spelling.
Original post by Elm Tree

See here.
Reply 9
And I give a **** because?

Frankly, if the media didnt vilify Chavez, id be more worried.
Original post by Mukhabarat
And I give a **** because?

Frankly, if the media didnt vilify Chavez, id be more worried.

You should 'give a ****' because you called me a neo-liberal when I am not. Revoke your description.
Because he's left-wing, essentially.

There are plenty of criticisms that I have for Chavez: his personalisation and centralisation of government (which has wrecked grassroots social movements in Venezuela - most of which either supported Chavez or thought he wasn't going far enough - and forced them to depend on the central government), his ridiculous 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' foreign policy, etc, but there are people much worse in these regards who get nowhere near the level of media criticism Chavez does.
Because the USA hates him and so we're obliged to hate him aswell. Special Relationship and all that.
Reply 13
dont like being negged back do you, get a life instead of leaving messages for me.
As much as that sucks I'm sure most people would prefer that option to their leaders abusing their power for their own personal profit.
Because he did a terrible job and the only reason his country is not entirely balls up is because he got lucky with oil revenues.
Reply 16
Original post by Zürich
Because he did a terrible job and the only reason his country is not entirely balls up is because he got lucky with oil revenues.

Get some facts mate. The guy reduced acute poverty by 80% and gave the people free healthcare housing and education- something unheard of in south america

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yg95
Get some facts mate. The guy reduced acute poverty by 80% and gave the people free healthcare housing and education- something unheard of in south america

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is not hard at all with the oil revenues he had at his disposal. He should have reduced poverty much much more then he did with that kind of luck. Unfortunately a lot of south americans give Chazvez the credit for something he had no hand in.

This is ignoring the rest of his reign, which was far from pleasant.
Reply 18
Original post by Zürich
That is not hard at all with the oil revenues he had at his disposal. He should have reduced poverty much much more then he did with that kind of luck. Unfortunately a lot of south americans give Chazvez the credit for something he had no hand in.

This is ignoring the rest of his reign, which was far from pleasant.

But compare it to the situation before when the oil wealth was in the hands of foreign private countries and the Venezuelan elite who had stakes in it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because he was anti-American.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending