The Student Room Group

Hunting:Your views?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by silverbolt
On the other hand though - a human stands no chance against many kinds of wild animals. So we use our strengths (our brains) against the animals tooth and claw.
Yeah, and it doesn't make it at all fair, hence there's no sport. It's like Man U's first team vs some nursery school's 5-a-side team on a full sized pitch - sure it's technically football, but to call it sport is ridiculous and when Man U batter the toddlers it'd be shameful to take any sort of pride in the win. If you're doing it for food then do it for food, but don't pretend it's glamourous.

I belong to a nature religion and my patron is Cernunnos who is depicted as a god of the hunt, im also an archer (recurve natural shooter) which Cernunnos is considered to be as well. As a follower of nature the circle of life is part and parcel so hunting to me isnt such a big deal so i sit somewhere in the middle. Humans are predators, all the social structuring can not take away this fact. You can argue it all you like but we are as a species hunters - one of the reasons why our eyes are in the front of our head.

Hunting with a bow takes far greater skill than with a high powered rifle (except i cant hunt with a bow legally). I also live in rural Ireland and hunting and shooting is part of our culture. But i dont agree with hunting endangered animals
I don't know why you've directed this at me, but I'll answer anyway - if you argue from the standpoint of nature making us hunters, then you must also accept that hunters kill for food or other resources, not for fun.
Reply 141
Original post by Syrokal

Take it your not a fan of Boxing either >.>

Well said

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 142
i dont know what you mean :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::tongue:

Me neither, don't even know why I said it.

Yep

Merry meet then!

Im in the west of ireland in the county of Roscommon

Ahh, my family is from Galway.

Pleasure to meet yah my man, and good to see another Hunter in the thread, was starting to feel lonely.
Reply 143
I wonder how many people on here so opposed to hunting are "city folk" with no idea about rural life save for the "cute ickle animals getting hurt by the meanie humans" Your right about the damage foxes do - but they are not parasites. Nor are they even classed as vermin.

I know they aren't literally parasites, I was just trying to get the point across that foxes aren't the cute little animals that everyone imagines.
Killing for food I don't mind but if people kill for fun it's just wrong. Why does an animal have to die because people want to have some fun. Would they find it ok for someone to murder someone else because the murderer was bored and wanted some fun?
I'm on the fence. Personally I wouldn't take someone who disagrees opinion seriously unless they were vegans who used absolutely no animal products. Bit hypocritical otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that you hunt and kill mountain lions and bears for thrills makes me hope you are eventually caught and savaged by one of said beasts. I would be thrilled to see that happen.
Reply 147
Original post by SubAtomic
The fact that you hunt and kill mountain lions and bears for thrills makes me hope you are eventually caught and savaged by one of said beasts. I would be thrilled to see that happen.

I have never killed a mountain lion, and ironically I have never hunted bears, though I have killed one.

Though you seem a bit angry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 148
Original post by JordanS94
Killing for food I don't mind but if people kill for fun it's just wrong. Why does an animal have to die because people want to have some fun. Would they find it ok for someone to murder someone else because the murderer was bored and wanted some fun?

Most hunter's, wouldn't see a comparable simmerlarity between killing an animal and killing a human for fun.

In the same way most people wouldn't go "How can we pen and farm Cows for beef?....is it suddenly ok to pen a human up and eat him!"
Reply 149
Original post by llessur123
I'm on the fence. Personally I wouldn't take someone who disagrees opinion seriously unless they were vegans who used absolutely no animal products. Bit hypocritical otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not really hypocritical. I'm not a vegetarian and I use animal products (even though I don't have to- meat and leather aren't required for modern life) because not using them would have no real effect. Refusing to use animal products will not bring the animal back and a single person isn't going to effect supply and demand- Tesco won't change their chicken order because I don't buy one chicken from them. The only way vegetarianism will have an effect is if large numbers of people change their view to it and me deciding not to eat meat won't make this any more likely. I'd cut all animal products out now if others would agree to do the same but I don't see it happening

Hunting on the other hand has a direct effect on the numbers of unnecessary animal deaths, each individual who stops hunting immediately decreases the number of future deaths.
Reply 150
Original post by Aoide
Its not really hypocritical. I'm not a vegetarian and I use animal products (even though I don't have to- meat and leather aren't required for modern life) because not using them would have no real effect. Refusing to use animal products will not bring the animal back and a single person isn't going to effect supply and demand- Tesco won't change their chicken order because I don't buy one chicken from them. The only way vegetarianism will have an effect is if large numbers of people change their view to it and me deciding not to eat meat won't make this any more likely. I'd cut all animal products out now if others would agree to do the same but I don't see it happening

What a negative view, of course large numbers of people aren't going to change until small numbers do.

It takes individuals setting examples to create change on a large scale, people just don't wake up en masse and go "Not going to eat meat now"
If you wan't to make a change, then actually put some effort into it.

Don't just moan that "Oh poor little me alone won't make a difference...why bother"
To be honest, I had never actually formulated an opinion on hunting until I fell in love with the animal that is my username...but now I'm so against it. Ironically, I actually watched a wolf hunting video yesterday..and it nearly made me cry, especially the way they flaunt their catch like a rag doll..it angers me.

The only way I'd deem it appropriate is if it were for food or if the animal posed a threat.
Reply 152
Original post by Syrokal
What a negative view, of course large numbers of people aren't going to change until small numbers do.

It takes individuals setting examples to create change on a large scale, people just don't wake up en masse and go "Not going to eat meat now"
If you wan't to make a change, then actually put some effort into it.

Don't just moan that "Oh poor little me alone won't make a difference...why bother"

I'm not being negative, but I refuse to allow my life to be ruled by pointless principles. I'm happy to make sacrifices for the greater good but I don't agree with making yourself suffer without good reason. To promote a point which no one wants to hear isn't a good reason. I do my best to convince people not to harm animals for no reason however I'm not going to make myself suffer (I don't deny eating meat is pleasurable) for no effect. The truth is that the majority of humans see no problem eating meat and aren't going to change their view any time soon. Me becoming vegetarian isn't going to dramatically change their view. If animals are going to die I might as well get pleasure from it rather than it being meaningless.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm totally against it and think it's cruel. Before people start screaming at me ''But you eat meat off the shelves'', I'm against hunting as a sport. I don't really see what sort of buzz someone could get out of killing an innocent animal for the fun of it.
Reply 154
Personally, I think hunting is a disgusting 'sport'. I don't understand how killing an animal can be seen as entertaining. It's cruel, you shouldn't kill an innocent animal just because you think it's fun to do so. Why would you want to terrify an innocent animal by chasing it viciously? It's vile, and I passionately hate anyone who does it with a passion. If you do it, you are truly barbaric.
Reply 155
Original post by Jabberwox
I'm totally against it and think it's cruel. Before people start screaming at me ''But you eat meat off the shelves'', I'm against hunting as a sport. I don't really see what sort of buzz someone could get out of killing an innocent animal for the fun of it.

I enjoy the kill because I enjoy the hunt and the challenge not because I enjoy the taking of a life, or some obsession with blood and suffering.
From finding the tracks, following the trail, spotting the prey, managing to get to a close enough distance without scaring it off, knocking the arrow, lining the shot, hitting the target.

Each of those things is a challenge and a test of various skills and ability's.
I get the same kind of thrill, when I win a fight or rank in a TKD competition, or when I play a good game of Basketball, or when I score well in an Archery Tournament.(Yet to rank in the latter sadly )

Hell even when I play a good game of French Tarot.

The pride and the enjoyment is nothing more than showing "Look at all these skills I pulled together, and look at what it achieved, a clean kill and a good hunt"

The Animal is respected, it's offered to the Aesir, it's meat and carcass are fully utilized, and it's suffering is kept to a minimum.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Syrokal
I enjoy the kill because I enjoy the hunt and the challenge .

Which is still at the expense of an animal's life, which is why I don't have a lot of time for it.
Reply 157
Original post by Jabberwox
Which is still at the expense of an animal's life, which is why I don't have a lot of time for it.

Ah we come to an impass in the debate.

You believe Animals have an unchallengable right to life.

I do not.

That's fine though, world would be a boring place if we were all the same.
Reply 158
Difference being a homeless person is a human not a deer
It's a difference, but not in my mind a salient difference. Both humans and deer don't deserve to get shot at, but it seems this is a fairly radical sentiment.
Reply 159
OP, you are what separates us humans from the animals - and makes us worse than them.

You can understand death, pain, terror, an ability that no other animal has and still you chose to inflict these for no reason other than your own pleasure. In this you have done a deed worse than any non-human animal has ever committed in the history of earth. I would genuinely much rather see an arrow through your brain than an innocent deer or antelope.

If karma exists (which unfortunately it doesn't) you will be visited by a sadistic serial killer (which you essentially are) who would be able to inflict on you what you have done to these creatures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending