The Student Room Group

Are the Pearson A level Edexcel textbooks comprehensive?

Hi, I am thinking of teaching myself A level maths (+FM maybe) with the help of a tutor. I need to do this to get on a ChemEng course at uni but have since left 6form so I can't take maths as a subject. So I was just wondering if the edexcel textbooks are comprehensive ie- can I open them, work my way through from the beginning to end and do all of the practice questions and be then competent enough to attempt the past papers?

I achieved a high A at GCSE and do have a genuine interest in maths but didn't decide on what career I wanted to pursue until after I left 6 form.

Thanks
Yes.
Reply 2
Original post by JordanUK
Hi, I am thinking of teaching myself A level maths (+FM maybe) with the help of a tutor. I need to do this to get on a ChemEng course at uni but have since left 6form so I can't take maths as a subject. So I was just wondering if the edexcel textbooks are comprehensive ie- can I open them, work my way through from the beginning to end and do all of the practice questions and be then competent enough to attempt the past papers?

I achieved a high A at GCSE and do have a genuine interest in maths but didn't decide on what career I wanted to pursue until after I left 6 form.

Thanks

In theory, yes - as long as you get books that are up-to-date and claim to cover the syllabus for the exam in question, then they should be sufficient. In practice you will need to be confident and organized about working independently, and it will be a good idea to get the support of a tutor so you have someone to discuss things with when you hit a brick wall or need something clarified :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by davros
In theory, yes - as long as you get books that are up-to-date and claim to cover the syllabus for the exam in question, then they should be sufficient. In practice you will need to be confident and organized about working independently, and it will be a good idea to get the support of a tutor so you have someone to discuss things with when you hit a brick wall or need something clarified :smile:

Is there any other materials that you would recommend apart from the books?
Reply 4
Examsolutions.net as always, a website that covers the syllabus with videos, very very helpful if you need an extra but of explanation. The guy there also does video solutions for past papers too, going through each question of the paper in detail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest