The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for mathematics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mariucell
Cambridge is way better, I thought before that Oxford is the best, but all the great students from my country at maths have gone to Cambridge, quite Trinity College I think. Also, the harder papers and good opinions are regarded to Cambridge. I am bit sorry I hadn't the time to apply also for Cambridge :frown: I hope I helped, and in my humbleness, I am a Gold winner Olympian at Maths in Romania, the first country in Europe at the International Olympiad. :smile:

Any real evidence to back this up? Given that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teodor_von_Burg your anecdotal evidence is somewhat moot.
Original post by Noble.
Any real evidence to back this up?

Sure bro, check out my previous post.
Original post by raiden95
I'm really confused about where I will be applying as I don't know where I have a better chance. For my gcses I only got 4As and no A*. But I did maths AS early in year11 and am on route to getting an A* in maths this year however some universities dislike this? My UMS for my exams isn't awesome either in year 11 for AS I got 87 85 80 UMS for maths exams but this year doing two maths exams I got 98 84, I also study further maths chemistry and physics and I am on As in all of these at the moment. Any suggestions what is best for me? Thank you :smile:

I would suggest you don't choose between these Uni's on the basis of which is easier to get into. Visit both, meet some undergraduate mathmos and see where you feel more at home. Most people feel some kind of preference.
Reply 23
Original post by Noble.
St John's is supposed to heavily rely on the MAT, there isn't a link to it, and most colleges won't explicitly tell you how they choose applicants - so really you should just apply to the college you like the look of the most.

Okay sounds like I'll have to decide that later on if I actually do end up applying haha :smile:
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Compare and contrast:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ha, you just love bringing that out :lol:
Reply 25
Compare and contrast:

Spoiler

Spoiler

:lol:

That isn't the mathematics institute currently in operation (but it would be by the time the OP came to Oxford).

The lectures for mathematics are currently held in the Oxford History Museum:

Try beating that :rofl:
Reply 26
Original post by Noble.
Any real evidence to back this up? Given that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teodor_von_Burg your anecdotal evidence is somewhat moot.

http://imo-official.org/year_country_r.aspx?year=2012 you mean this???:rolleyes:. Sorry for not counting Russia, but we didn't take into account this. Also, Romania started the IMO, so we have a plus here :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Felix Felicis
Ha, you just love bringing that out :lol:

HA!

Original post by Noble.
Try beating that :rofl:

Damn, well played.
Reply 28

No, I don't mean that...
Original post by Noble.

That's insane, do you know him personally out of interest?
Reply 30
Original post by Felix Felicis
That's insane, do you know him personally out of interest?

Nope (thankfully).
Reply 31
Reply 32
http://imo-official.org/year_country_r.aspx?year=2012 you mean this???:rolleyes:. Sorry for not counting Russia, but we didn't take into account this. Also, Romania started the IMO, so we have a plus here :biggrin:

Your country sending most top mathematics students to Cambridge proves nothing.
Reply 33

Ok? I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make, your country sending most top maths students to Cambridge doesn't prove anything. I was merely showing there are top IMO people going to Oxford as well.
Reply 34
Original post by Noble.
Your country sending most top mathematics students to Cambridge proves nothing.

I don't say that this is the main reason for what I believe that Cambridge is better, but it is an example which supports my idea. Surely, there are great students who go to Oxford, but it is also true, that while searching for a good uni at Math I found only COWI in the top, Cambridge and Warwick being top 2, some saying good distance ahead.
Reply 35
HA!

Damn, well played.

:tongue:

Dinosaurs trump anything.
Reply 36
Compare and contrast:

Spoiler

Spoiler

:lol:
Reply 37
I don't say that this is the main reason for what I believe that Cambridge is better, but it is an example which supports my idea. Surely, there are great students who go to Oxford, but it is also true, that while searching for a good uni at Math I found only COWI in the top, Cambridge and Warwick being top 2, some saying good distance ahead.

Any proof of this, if you look at the course of Oxford and Cambridge in the first three years, it's very difficult to distinguish the two with the exception of more flexibility with modules at Cambridge. There are plenty of threads on here which actually properly explain the differences within COWI (and not just make bold claims without backing any of it up) because it certainly isn't the case that Cambridge and Warwick are 'good distance' ahead of Oxford.
Reply 38
This is going a bit off topic lol
Reply 39
Original post by Noble.
Ok? I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make, your country sending most top maths students to Cambridge doesn't prove anything. I was merely showing there are top IMO people going to Oxford as well.

Understood that point, but I believed you were saying about the fact that Romania isn't the first :P. Saw that you're at Ox, so you surely top class, probably math. A bit embarrassed for talking a bit rough with some one way better than me at math :P. If you please, what course are you taking or had taken?

Quick Reply

Latest