The Student Room Group

Gym pet peeves

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dhaden
No it's completely overhyped and exaggerated, I've been lifting for 4-5 months now and I've never seen anyone curling in the rack.

You've never been to my gym,its like a plague.

Monkey see,monkey do.
I've never seen anyone curl in the squat rack either...
Those homo awkward looks everyone gives. You know what I'm talking about
When guys get their junk out in the changing rooms. Seriously, I don't want to see them being jiggled around when I'm there.
People chatting to me for ages when I'm in a rush or clearly just want to get on with it. I don't mind short friendly chats though.

Excessive grunting.

People paying too much attention to themselves in the mirrors. I feel embarrassed for them.

People deadlifting/curling right in front of the rack so no one else can use it.

People who stare excessively.

People who step over my barbell when I'm about to deadlift it. Grr.

I generally have few issues with the gym though, must be lucky!
(edited 11 years ago)
Been lifting less than 5 months and have seen curling in the squat rack 3-4 times already lol.
Reply 26
Original post by areebmazhar
people who try talking to me when I have earphones in

those guys that come in groups of 4-5 and spend ages on the bench

people who drop dumbells really loud on purpose for attention

spotters touching the bar when I clearly didn't need help and also dangling their family jewels in my face

and work experience boys tend to be very annoying too. there was one last summer who threw the big exercise ball at me whilst I was on the treadmill

Lol, what a guy!

Did you fall off?
Original post by zKlown
Lol, what a guy!

Did you fall off?

Haha, I managed to grab onto the rails and jump onto the side bit. Thing is if it was a friend I could understand but I had hardly talked to the WE guy except a hello, it was a bit random :tongue:
People who sit on machines. Just sitting, not resting between reps, or setting up. Sitting there for ages for no reason!
Reply 29
I generally do all these.

I don't wipe up sweat
I sit on machinery when I am not using it, I hate standing.
I grunt when the weight gets heavy
I drop the weights
I generally do low reps, so most will think I use too much weight

If someone has their stuff on equipment...I just move it, I don't ask them to move it or if it is their stuff, I just move it. I rarely see people curling in the squat rack.

What gets on my nerves is how people seem to think because they're doing a genuine exercise like rows or deadlift it means they have to use an olympic lifting platform...I just tell them to do their deadlifts not on the platforms if I need it.
(edited 11 years ago)
I have many pet peeves, but curling in the squat rack is not one of them. If no-one is waiting to squat, then who ****ing cares? I'm pretty sure Starting Strength even advises doing your curls in a rack. Curling in the squat rack when someone is waiting to squat is annoying, but that's just because anyone using equipment they don't need when someone else does is annoying. That's just one example of it. More to the point, you can just say "excuse me, can you curl elsewhere please? I need the rack." and 99 times out of 100 they will just move. I train my press in the squat rack all the time, but if anyone asks how long I'll be I'll just go and press elsewhere as long as there's a bar free...

Actual pet peeves:
-standing or walking over the bar when I'm about to DL/clean
-not putting weights away
-putting weights in the wrong place
-rudeness
-spotters "helping" me before I'm struggling

If people want to squat above parallel, train only biceps and chest, sit on machines, grunt when they lift heavy, drop weights, wear makeup to the gym, lift too heavy with poor form etc. etc. blah blah blah then who cares? As long as they don't break equipment it doesn't affect anyone else.

I also wear a hoody to the gym.

*prepares for negs*
(edited 11 years ago)
Not much really, i'm guilty of doing lots of what other people are mentioning.... grunting, 'lifting too heavy' (yes I only did 2 reps, doesnt mean its too heavy. If it was too heavy I wouldnt have been able to lift it), curls in the squat rack, squats in the curl rack, sweating everywhere, dropping weights (although to be fair, dropping a 10kg dumbbell is stupid), resting for 5 mins between sets, sitting on equipment i'm not using...

but things that do annoy me...

1) People not putting the weights away. Its bloody annoying, its not hard.

2) General stupidity, e.g. walking right next to me when I'm in the middle of doing power cleans...

3) When people put about 4 or 5 2.5kg plates on the EZ bar, basically using them all up. This often ties in with point numero uno; they will just leave it on the floor once they have finished.
Original post by Megaloblastic
3) When people put about 4 or 5 2.5kg plates on the EZ bar, basically using them all up. This often ties in with point numero uno; they will just leave it on the floor once they have finished.

srs annoy.
Reply 33
Original post by Holz888
People who sit on machines. Just sitting, not resting between reps, or setting up. Sitting there for ages for no reason!

Just been in the gym for about 2 hours...I spent about 90 mins doing this. I also bled all over the floor and bar and never cleaned it up.
Controversially, I prefer a gym full of screaming and grunting. It's proven your power output increases (about 7% I think) when you do. As far as curling in the squat rack goes, it depends on what kind of gym you go to. If you train at a commercial gym like David Lloyd (as i do) then you see it ALL THE TIME, but it's easily sorted with a bit of rudeness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People that get on a machine next to you and start trying to sneak peak at what settings you're on. Go away!
Original post by McHumpy92
Just been in the gym for about 2 hours...I spent about 90 mins doing this. I also bled all over the floor and bar and never cleaned it up.

Damn, bet you felt really awkward, your period starting in the middle of a gym and all :frown:
Reply 37
People who make posts on the internet about people curling in the rack. For that matter people who list someone 'working their biceps when they're supposed to work their glutes' as a peeve. I mean who gives a **** about what other people do?

Their seems to be a big trend on the internet about being self righteous about how other people train... I mean, if someone is training ineffectively then either 1) they don't realise they are and are gonna frustrate themselves or 2) they just don't give a **** and are going to the gym for a bit of fun. In either case, I can't see how it actually annoys anyone.
Reply 38
People training terribly is a positive...it makes me look better. I would hate it if everyone in the gym trained well and was all strong.
Reply 39
People who complain constantly about curling in the squat rack. Fair enough, if the gym's crowded and people are looking to use it to squat then I won't use it to curl, that's courtesy. What pisses me off is dirty looks from people for curling in the rack when there are 4 other one next to me free. Seriously, if someone's not affecting anyone else's workout leave then alone.

Quick Reply

Latest