The Student Room Group

What makes a bad maths question

So I'm applying for a teaching position at my uni, and one thing we are asked to write a brief summary of is what makes a bad maths question. Now I've got some ideas myself, but was wondering if anyone could give me there input so I can get a more general idea, as obviously opinions will differ on this.

My ideas: It's ambiguous in it's wording. It doesn't require the mathematician to think or stretch them in any particular way.
Reply 1
No answer
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
No answer

How did I miss that one! aha. Thanks for contributing any others, this is actually surprisingly hard to answer. I imagine it's easier for maths teachers though? You have to set questions etc.
Use of confusing language. Think of for example: "take away" or "work out this sum" when you mean CALCULATION etc...
Inappropriate questions for the age group.

See here

Edit:

And here
(edited 11 years ago)
A question with a 'real-life situation' that the student would have had no reason to come across.

My maths teacher was telling us about a paper she was marking for year 10 where one of the questions asked them to work out how many rolls of wallpaper you would need to cover a wall but there was no leeway in the mark scheme for students who had never seen anyone hanging wallpaper before and didn't realise the strips go vertically. She had to give about half of them no marks because they worked it out with horizontal strips.
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker

See here

Edit:

And here

Those are actually crazy!
Original post by Music99
Those are actually crazy!

Indeed. But a real life example!
Reply 8
Indeed. But a real life example!

Only in Singapore XD.
Reply 9
I have had tests in the past where at the beginning they have stood at the front and said "Actually, this question is impossible, don't try to do it." That seems like bad form.
Reply 10

See here

Edit:

And here

haha, you can't say he wasn't creative..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by CodeJack
hahahaha, you can't say he wasn't creative..

I have to admit I did laugh :P.
Original post by Music99
So I'm applying for a teaching position at my uni, and one thing we are asked to write a brief summary of is what makes a bad maths question. Now I've got some ideas myself, but was wondering if anyone could give me there input so I can get a more general idea, as obviously opinions will differ on this.

My ideas: It's ambiguous in it's wording. It doesn't require the mathematician to think or stretch them in any particular way.

At A-level, I remember questions where they'd ask you to use unnecessary substitutions to evaluate integrals (i.e where it was possible to integrate directly)

Those are bad questions!
Original post by TenOfThem
No answer

And what if the answer is that there is no answer?
Original post by Lord of the Flies
And what if the answer is that there is no answer?

Then there is an answer
A badly worded problem (rather commonplace in permutation/combination ones) where the demands of a working process can be interpreted in more than one manner.

And as Indeterminate has pointed out earlier, redundant suggestions of substitutions in integrals which can be cracked open directly are just plain sickening. Why make something difficult when it is actually so easy to solve? Sheesh.

Peace.

Quick Reply

Latest