The Student Room Group

Chrisateen's Blog - A Female aiming to Build Muscle

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chrisateen
Today was a back day

Parallel Pull ups 3 reps then 2 reps
Deadlifts 75kg (3 x 9 reps )
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 55kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Lat Pull Down 47lbs ( 3 x 10 reps )
High Rows 60kg ( 3 x 10 reps )

Went out this morning to the shops so by the time I got to the gym I was a bit tried and wasn't too much in the mood to lift weights

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can i just say, I dont think thats in lbs because that would only be 21kg. And I can pull down 35kg and im nowhere near the strength of you on any of the others.
Reply 61
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Can i just say, I dont think thats in lbs because that would only be 21kg. And I can pull down 35kg and im nowhere near the strength of you on any of the others.

Its really annoying they don't have anything on it to say whether it is in pounds or kg. Thanks for letting me know though. Next time I'll put kg down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Friday gym session was a Tricep and bicep day

Dips 3 x 7 reps
Tricep Extension 8kg ( 2x 10 reps ) 10kg 8 reps
Bicep Curls 16kg ( 3 x 10 reps )

Also did some running, Kettlebells, exercises in plank position.

Not happy with how cardio is going not my cardiovascular fitness has gone down since taking a long break from doing any cardio. I think next bulk I'm gonna have to include some cardio as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Sunday Session was a legs session and I did the following

Squats 65kg (3 x 9 reps )
Leg Press 140kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Leg Curls 30kg ( 3 x 9 reps )

I also did the following cardio workout

[video="youtube;4gnL_yMeWyc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gnL_yMeWyc[/video]

This workout was hard and had to pause so many times for a break. I'm hoping over time it gets easier. Also forgot to do calve raises today and due to doing cardio beforehand and increasing the weights on Squats I slightly decreased the weights on my other lifts . I'm still unsure as to when is the best days to do cardio in particular stuff that requires using my bodyweight as its difficult to do that and a decent weights session and I don't want to over do it so that I dont start to lose muscle.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Wednesday was a back day

Parallel Pull ups 3 reps : (
Deadlifts 80kg (2 x 10 reps and 8 reps )
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 60kg ( 3 x 9 reps )
Lat Pull Down 52kg (3 x 8 reps )
High Rows 60kg ( 3 x 10 reps )

Struggling with my grip on the deadlifts and paused a bit in between one of the sets. Still happy with how the session went as work as been manic and by the time I finished work I had a bad headache and my feet hurt. Eating kess calories doesn't help matwrs either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
I've just realised I haven't posted all my workouts this week so I am going to do that now. Unfortunately I can't 100% remember how much I lifted :redface:

Thursday bicep and Tricep

Parallel Pull Ups 3 reps
Bicep Curls 16kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Tricep Extension 10kg dumbells ( 3 x 10 reps )
Also did some cardio afterwards

Saturday Legs

Parallel Pull ups 4 reps
Squats 65kg ( 2 x 10 reps and 8 reps )
Leg Press 150kg (3 x 9 reps )
Calve Raises 22kg dumbells ( 3 x 10 reps )
Leg Curls 30kg ( 2 x 10 reps and 8 reps )
Also did some abs stuff afterwards

Sunday Chest and Shoulders

Parallel Pull ups 4 reps
Dips 2 x 7 reps
shoulder press 16kg ( 3 x 10 reps)
Bench Press 30kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Then did cardio afterwards

I weighed myself yesterday and I am now 12st 7lbs which means a loss of 5lbs in 2 weeks. I'm really happy about that but I'm sure most of it will be water weight. I'm gonna weigh myself again on Saturday and if I have lost more than 1lb again I'm gonna increase the calories slightly as I don't want to lose weight too quickly and run the risk of losing muscle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Tuesday gym session was legs

Parallel Pull ups 4 reps
Squats 65kg ( 3 x 9 reps )
Calve Raises 22kg dumbells ( 3 x 10 reps )
Leg Press 150kg ( 3 x 9 reps )
Leg Curls 30kg ( 2 x 10 reps and 8 reps )

Wednesday gym session was chest and shoulders

Dips 2 x 6 reps
Bench Press 30kg ( 3 x 9 reps )
Shoulder Press 16kg ( 2 x 9 reps ans 10 reps )
Also did some cardio afterwards

Some people may notice that my bench press has gone down. The reason for this is because before I used the smith machine rack (I think that's what you call it) to bench press as I was scared to bench freely without a spotter.

I then decided I really should bench freely so I decreased the weights and bench without a squater.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Today was a back day

Parallel Pull ups 4 reps
Dips 9 reps
Deadlifts 75kg ( 2 x 10 reps ) 80kg 8 reps
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 60kg ( 3 x 9 reps )
Lat Pull Down 52kg ( 3 x 8 reps )

Wasn't able to do high rows as some guy was on it for ages then when I went away to do some other stuff I came back and his mate joined him. I couldn't be bothered to wait anymore so I just left.

Had a bad day in terms of diet. Walked past mcdonalds on the way home and just randomly decided to get a big tasty with fries and milkshake :redface: :frown: so yesterday I ate over 3000 calories.

I then weighed myself today and I am now 12st 8lbs. Been having problems with water retention a little bit this week and then to eat the way I did yesterday I'm not surprised I gained weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
On Sunday I did the following

Cardio using Kettlebells
Dips 6 reps
Bicep Curls 16kg ( 3 x 9 reps )
Tricep Extension 10kg dumbells ( 3 x 10 reps )

I then weighed myself and apparently I have lost 0.6lbs which means I am now 12st 6lbs. Strange my weight was a lot higher before. I think I need to try and not weigh myself often but with the scales back in the ladies changing rooms its really hard not to weigh myself.

Weights session today wasn't that good mainly because of doing Kettlebells beforehand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I keep forgetting to post and then I haven't been well for a while so I have been going to the gym on and off for the last two weeks.

For those who want to see my after photo I have posted it on the transformation entry thread.

I don't think I have made much of a difference in the 12 weeks and I think its only until I get down to under 12st that I will really start to look lean and see all the muscle I have gained. I know I have gained muscle as I never use to look this lean at this weight nearly two years ago is a bit hard to see the gains with me needing to shed some fat. I just need to be patient with the weight loss and by summer I should reap the rewards.

I do think bulking works and enables me to get down to a low bodyfat without having to go down to a ridiculously low weight. I am definatly going to continue the cycle of bulking and cutting for the next few years
Can i ask what you are eating?

ive been weightlifting for ages, weights that i find challenging, and im just not noticing a difference!

I feel it, my legs feel stronger, i can feel a bicep, but i cant see a difference?!
Reply 71
Can i ask what you are eating?

ive been weightlifting for ages, weights that i find challenging, and im just not noticing a difference!

I feel it, my legs feel stronger, i can feel a bicep, but i cant see a difference?!

Strength doesn't always equals muscle gain. What is your routine like, are you losing weight or gaining weight and how many calories are you eating?

In terms of my diet I don't eat a certain type of food. I just watch my calories and make sure I get enough Protien and if I want a chocolate or a trwat I have it as ling as I don't go overboard

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you lifting in your bicep curls? Im about to up mine to 16kg and I have no idea if this is any sort of strength for a girl or if it means im still really weak. I can feel my bicep slightly (my friend was very impressed haha) tbh its more my elbow to my wrist forearm thats hard as nail!
Reply 73
Just come along this interesting great changes. If you want some advice from someone who started four years ago and has gone through all the ups and downs and learning curves,i can tell you right now diet is 75% of it, a combination of intermittent Fasting and timing that with your workouts can really help, eating 5 smalls a day both with carb and protein and lots of green veg. Also when your cutting i would suggest instead of doing more cardio to lose the weight, just cut out down your calories while continuing your workout and maybe add one session of HIIT a week as the balance between cardio and weight training is very important i have lost alot of muscle when cutting due to overdoing cardio in the past. Im just speaking from my experiance though if what your doing is working the way you want then brilliant
Reply 74
What are you lifting in your bicep curls? Im about to up mine to 16kg and I have no idea if this is any sort of strength for a girl or if it means im still really weak. I can feel my bicep slightly (my friend was very impressed haha) tbh its more my elbow to my wrist forearm thats hard as nail!

I also lift 16kg for bicep curls. Upper body strength is very hard for us girls and you will find it a lot harder to increase the weights compared to other muscle groups
Original post by Ziggy2252
Just come along this interesting great changes. If you want some advice from someone who started four years ago and has gone through all the ups and downs and learning curves,i can tell you right now diet is 75% of it, a combination of intermittent Fasting and timing that with your workouts can really help, eating 5 smalls a day both with carb and protein and lots of green veg. Also when your cutting i would suggest instead of doing more cardio to lose the weight, just cut out down your calories while continuing your workout and maybe add one session of HIIT a week as the balance between cardio and weight training is very important i have lost alot of muscle when cutting due to overdoing cardio in the past. Im just speaking from my experiance though if what your doing is working the way you want then brilliant

Thanks for the advice. I try not limit cardio to the minimum and even if I do cardio most of it is using weights whilst doing it
do you use barbells for your bicep curls?
Reply 76
Original post by Chrisateen
Ok I decided to do a blog for the transformation and if this blog goes well I may end up doing one permanently. If people are reading the title yes I am female and yes I am Bulking and yes I want to gain muscle. Please also note that bulking is not going to make me look like a bodybuilder on steriods.

Background Information

A bit of background info I use to be 18st 8lbs and in Oct 2010 - Oct 2011 I went down to around 11st

Before Pic

Me at 11st

However even though I was happy with my weight I was not happy with my body fat so I decided in September to start a bulk and this is how I look now

Me at 12st 5lbs (my Transformation before photo)

(See next post for more...)

If you want to bulk up.. 10 reps is too much in my opinion.. although I'm not sure why anybody wants to pile on muscle.. unless they are going into body building or power lifting.... 6-8 reps will be enough..

Needless to say your diet is the thing you need to be thinking of.. I use a Whey protein shake with milk before working out.. but you need to think breakfast.. lunch and post and pre work out...

Bulking up.. got to say.. not the ideal goal to be going for when you're trying to lose body fat.. unless you are going to go all out at the gym.. a lot. If body fat is something you want to do and leaning up.. do 45 minutes cardio.. before weights.. you might go back a weight or two at the start but you will cut fat (dont listen to the scare stories about cardio burning all your muscle away) if you maintain regular weight training sessions as well as cardio, you will build muscle, increase your endurance.. burn fat.. improve your over all health and help your body pump what it needs better around your body...

Also.. make sure you do your pull ups.. and dips first before any other lifting.. i find those are my bread and butter exercises.. so i give them the most energy i got.

Just my opinion...
Reply 77
do you use barbells for your bicep curls?

Yes I do.

Quick Reply

Latest