The Student Room Group

What Do You Think Of Pilots?

So, what do you guys think of pilots? What is your image of a pilot?

I don't know why, but my image of a pilot is of a tall and strong dashing man with an air of being noble and whatnot.

Maybe this has been greatly influenced by my travelling in my early years, whereby being on The Flying Dutchman (i.e. a KLM flight), I caught sight of a dashing Nordic manly man who was clearly the pilot. He looked like a demi-god and when he came up to me, I could only but smile and look up at him in awe and wonder. Not only was he confident, but he was also powerfully built and very tall. He was also Dutch.

So, what do you think of pilots? :smile:

P.S.

I guess, being a child, it had a great impression on me. Apparently, I'm told that young kids see pilots as some sort of gods, so I wasn't alone then? :lol:

P.P.S

I forgot to say "no homo" :ninja:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A strong, handsome man who makes sure that you reach your destination safely and on time :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Old pilots - calm, solemn beings, with a dominating demeanor

Young pilots - egoistical, spoilt kids who went to private, expensive flying schools sponsored by their parents (not the military pilots, I mean just the commercial ones.)
(edited 11 years ago)
A middle-aged average Joe kind of person. :dontknow:
Original post by whyumadtho
A middle-aged average Joe kind of person. :dontknow:

You clearly haven't been on KLM flights :tongue:
Original post by ForgetMe
A strong, handsome man who makes sure that you reach your destination safely and on time :rolleyes:

The sexual connotations of this post are stark. :colonhash:

One is not amused. :haughty:
Reply 6
Carry on guys, I'm liking it so far :wink:
Reply 7
They're like bus drivers in the sky.

That's how an ex airline pilot described it to me.
Original post by Schleigg
Carry on guys, I'm liking it so far :wink:

Ah, a resident aviator. :top2:

Is it me, or have I never seen a short and small (puny) pilot?

Maybe I should travel more regularly.... :moon:
Original post by Psyk
They're like bus drivers in the sky.

That's how an ex airline pilot described it to me.

Really? I wouldn't think so - there's an air of prestige and nobility about an airline pilot. To call them "bus drivers in the sky" is not only demeaning, but wholly inaccurate, in my humble opinion.
Reply 10
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Really? I wouldn't think so - there's an air of prestige and nobility about an airline pilot. To call them "bus drivers in the sky" is not only demeaning, but wholly inaccurate, in my humble opinion.

Only passing on what an ex pilot said.

She said what you described is how people normally imagine it, but in reality it's more like driving a bus. Probably depends what sort of airline you work for though.

Anyway, what's wrong with bus drivers? If what I said is demeaning to pilots, then what you said must be even more demeaning to bus drivers :tongue:
Original post by Psyk
Only passing on what an ex pilot said.

She said what you described is how people normally imagine it, but in reality it's more like driving a bus. Probably depends what sort of airline you work for though.

Anyway, what's wrong with bus drivers? If what I said is demeaning to pilots, then what you said must be even more demeaning to bus drivers :tongue:

OK, fair enough. My apologies to bus drivers - it certainly seems that those in London aren't even paid that badly, relative to other citizens' take-home pay.
Reply 12

Because they have to have a certain height, as well as being physically fit.
Reply 13

It's the hats that do it. Even a 5'0 pilot looks statuesque in a peaked cap!
For some bizarre reason, and I don't know why, I imagine them all to look like the captain of the Titanic.
pilots are the most amazingly skilled human beings on this planet who have the strongest discipline than any other profession and they do their work unmistakably perfectly
...that they're HOTTTTTT
Reply 17
The sexual connotations of this post are stark. :colonhash:

One is not amused. :haughty:

Why do you think I have sexual intentions on this particular case? If I say 'handsome' that does not mean that I have sexual intentions on that :K:
Original post by ForgetMe
Why do you think I have sexual intentions on this particular case? If I say 'handsome' that does not mean that I have sexual intentions on that :K:

It wasn't handsome - it was the sentence as a whole. But if you didn't intend that, then my mistake. On the other hand, I myself could have been sarcastic... :biggrin:
Reply 19
I see them as discrete individuals, who you see stroll down with all the fit air hostesses after the flight lands.
They actually are relatively tall, usually lean, don't think I've ever seen a fat pilot.

Quick Reply