The Student Room Group

In The Event Of A Total Nuclear War, Will Africa Be The Last Continent Standing?

What do you think?

Most South American countries are allied with either "the West" or Russia and China. Most European countries are with "the West", as is Australia. Numerous Middle Eastern countries are allied with the East. Numerous Asian countries are merely Chinese satellites.

However, due to the current developmental nature of African countries, most African countries (i.e. Sub-Saharan) aren't exactly on the world stage yet. Ergo, surely they should remain largely unscathed by any total war that may break out across the rest of the world?

Ergo, in the event of imminent total nuclear war or the like, should I be packing my bags for the so-called Godforsaken continent?

P.S.

And no, all the talk of North Korea has not gotten to me - I'm not moved by Fat Kimmy's posturing as he munches on his McDonalds. I'm aware that NK, to the world's knowledge, does not have the capability to actually be a daring force.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As soon as there is a slight sniff of the possibility that nuclear weapons are going to be exchanged every global power lacking such technology will declare itself neutral in the hope of avoiding direct implications.
Original post by Mockery
As soon as there is a slight sniff of the possibility that nuclear weapons are going to be exchanged every global power lacking such technology will declare itself neutral in the hope of avoiding direct implications.

Oh OK, that's a slight relief (presuming the powers using the nukes are sane) - but this still means we'll need to pack our bags anyway (the UK having nukes)...
Reply 3
One of the last places I would want to be, Africa imports almost all its capital goods and has also become a food importer. The already troubled continent would probably starve and collapse into conflict.

I'd go to Iceland.
Reply 4
Considering all the Uranium mines in Africa I doubt it

I would go live in Micronesia myself
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Frube
One of the last places I would want to be, Africa imports almost all its capital goods and has also become a food importer. The already troubled continent would probably starve and collapse into conflict.

I'd go to Iceland.

One does wonder what kind of decisions the President of that country is making...

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by HumanSupremacist
One does wonder what kind of decisions the President of that country is making...

Spoiler

Are you implying that I don't know Africa is a continent ?
Reply 7
Nuclear war would only really take place between Russia, China and NATO whether additional countries have nukes or not.

I'd probably be on a plane to South America although i'd expect Hawaii not to be nuked.
Original post by Frube
Are you implying that I don't know Africa is a continent ?

It's OK - most people don't, you know. Many still to this day believe that it is a country.
Original post by Rakas21
Nuclear war would only really take place between Russia, China and NATO whether additional countries have nukes or not.

I'd probably be on a plane to South America although i'd expect Hawaii not to be nuked.

:teehee:

Have you read the news lately?
Reply 10
It's OK - most people don't, you know. Many still to this day believe that it is a country.

That's obviously false lol.
Original post by Frube
That's obviously false lol.

Do not patronise me, brother.
Reply 12
:teehee:

Have you read the news lately?

Yes but given the small population and the fact that Hawaii is a strategic asset in a proper nuclear war (i.e. not just North Korea being nutty) it is very much more likely that Hawaii would simply be invaded. Any nukes fired at the USA will be for the mainland (probably California).
Original post by Rakas21
Yes but given the small population and the fact that Hawaii is a strategic asset in a proper nuclear war (i.e. not just North Korea being nutty) it is very much more likely that Hawaii would simply be invaded. Any nukes fired at the USA will be for the mainland (probably California).

Do you really think North Korea have a super-army laying in wait in a super-fleet of stealth submarines which are waiting for the order to breach the coasts of the United States? Maybe the Red Dawn remake is a message... :afraid:

:lol:

All of the scenarios that we see in fiction - I highly doubt that they'll occur. Nobody's going to fire upon the United States. That "big war" that we're all expecting to happen will never happen. Globalism has pervaded the planet - one can't just attack anyone now: cash is at stake. Take China, for instance - even if the United States invades/attacks NK, China won't go to war with the US; the United States is its biggest trading partner! Financial interests now reign supreme in most cases.
China has been directing a lot of FDI to Africa though has it not? Also the African countries can sometimes be very divided so I don't think Africa would be too safe; as already pointed out it depends a lot on imports etc although it does have a lot of primary product sectors... To be honest OP in case of a nuclear war I think the Antarctic would be the safest place relatively of course:wink:.
Reply 15
[video="youtube;nZMwKPmsbWE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMwKPmsbWE[/video] :u:
Reply 16
Do you really think North Korea have a super-army laying in wait in a super-fleet of stealth submarines which are waiting for the order to breach the coasts of the United States? Maybe the Red Dawn remake is a message... :afraid:

:lol:

All of the scenarios that we see in fiction - I highly doubt that they'll occur. Nobody's going to fire upon the United States. That "big war" that we're all expecting to happen will never happen. Globalism has pervaded the planet - one can't just attack anyone now: cash is at stake. Take China, for instance - even if the United States invades/attacks NK, China won't go to war with the US; the United States is its biggest trading partner! Financial interests now reign supreme in most cases.

I wouldn't class a North Korea nuke as nuclear war on the basis that the USA would probably simply carpet bomb the country out of existence.

I agree, if anything regional unification is occurring (stated goals of political union in South America, Africa and the EU) and so i think that in decades to come we could reach a point where no region can really be nuked without committing economic suicide as the political/economic blocs would be so large. Plus to be honest there a only a few instances of territorial disputes between major powers so any wars would be fought over food, water and energy and actually we already have the technology to produce all three already plus we are approaching the point where we can begin mining space for resources (all being well) and so that's yet another reason removed.

Some kind of cultural thing could be a reason though, Iran or Pakistan.
Reply 17
An all out nuclear war would result in the extinction of humanity, going somewhere to hide from the direct strikes would just prolong it, you'd face the issues of a nuclear winter, radioactive rain and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moonkatt
An all out nuclear war would result in the extinction of humanity, going somewhere to hide from the direct strikes would just prolong it, you'd face the issues of a nuclear winter, radioactive rain and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn, that's Plan B out of the window!

Now, with Plan C :idea: - building a rocket to travel to the Gliese Star System! :albertein:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
oceania has the best chance, so few countries and none really have any severe political relations

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending