The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Dyslexia - current students

Hi guys

I have a conditional place at St A for September 2013. I am quite dyslexic and I was pretty impressed earlier this week when the St Andrews Disabilities department emailed me to ask for a copy of my Ed Pysch report so they can start preparing for any help I may need.

What sort of support do St Andrews provide and does it help? And should I take advantage of it?

Would love to hear feedback about the dyslexia support available at St Andrews.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by BioBio
Hi guys

I have a conditional place at St A for September 2013. I am quite dyslexic and I was pretty impressed earlier this week when the St Andrews Disabilities department emailed me to ask for a copy of my Ed Pysch report so they can start preparing for any help I may need.

What sort of support do St Andrews provide and does it help? And should I take advantage of it?

Thanks.

I don't have dyslexia, but I know people who do and I have experience with the Disability office.
You definitely SHOULD take advantage of everything they can offer. You'll need to apply for a DSA along with normal Student Loan (if you're a UK student that is) but once you've done that you can be offered a ton of stuff. Software to help you study, a scribe in lectures if you need it, extra time for exams, maybe even alternative examination methods.

The Disability office staff are great people; really, really friendly and will always do their best to help you.

I hope that helps, just let me know if you want to know anything more (can always go and chat to some of my dyslexic mates if you have something more specific).
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Helsy
I don't have dyslexia, but I know people who do and I have experience with the Disability office.
You definitely SHOULD take advantage of everything they can offer. You'll need to apply for a DSA along with normal Student Loan (if you're a UK student that is) but once you've done that you can be offered a ton of stuff. Software to help you study, a scribe in lectures if you need it, extra time for exams, maybe even alternative examination methods.

The Disability office staff are great people; really, really friendly and will always do their best to help you.

I hope that helps, just let me know if you want to know anything more (can always go and chat to some of my dyslexic mates if you have something more specific).

Hey - thanks for the speedy response. Your comments are really reassuring. My DSA has been approved which is probably why the Disability office got in touch with me.

If I may, can I PM you with questions to ask your dyslexic friends if I find I need some extra info over the next few months?

Thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by BioBio
Hey - thanks for the speedy response. Your comments are really reassuring. My DSA has been approved which is probably why the Disability office got in touch with me.

If I may, can I PM you with questions to ask your dyslexic friends if I find I need some extra info over the next few months?

Thank you.

Sure thing. :smile: Feel free to ask as much as you want.
Reply 4
Hey, I am a dyslexic student at St Andrews :smile: My dyslexia is fairly mild but my current housemate is also dyslexic and two of my previous housemates were as well so I have a fairly decent idea of what the provision is like! Feel free to ask me anything iyw :smile:
Original post by BioBio
Hi guys

Thanks.

Make sure you have applied for DSA ASAP if you haven't already. It takes around 14 weeks for it to be processed from the day you apply for it, and that includes the needs assessment you need to attend.
Reply 6
Original post by Cakefan
Hey, I am a dyslexic student at St Andrews :smile: My dyslexia is fairly mild but my current housemate is also dyslexic and two of my previous housemates were as well so I have a fairly decent idea of what the provision is like! Feel free to ask me anything iyw :smile:

Hey - thanks. What subjects are you and your housemates doing?
Reply 7
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Make sure you have applied for DSA ASAP if you haven't already. It takes around 14 weeks for it to be processed from the day you apply for it, and that includes the needs assessment you need to attend.

Thanks - I have applied and done my assessment. It all seems to be sorted. I am surprised how much kit I get (lap top, software and annual book allowance!) I was just hoping for extra time!
Reply 8
Original post by Cakefan

Hey Cakefan - one question - I have been offered rest breaks in the middle of exams as well as extra time. Do you know how this works? Do I choose when to have a break and it is done individually or does the department decide when there is a general break for all the dyslexic exam takers. It sounds like it could get complicated and difficult to supervise.

Thanks for any insight on this!
Reply 9
Original post by BioBio
Hey Cakefan - one question - I have been offered rest breaks in the middle of exams as well as extra time. Do you know how this works? Do I choose when to have a break and it is done individually or does the department decide when there is a general break for all the dyslexic exam takers. It sounds like it could get complicated and difficult to supervise.

Thanks for any insight on this!

I actually don't know of anyone who has had rest breaks! BUT one of my previous house mates (who studied maths) did her exams in a room by her self with a supervisor (who often provided cups of tea!) I imagine you would be in your own room, I'm not certain about that though. You should ask student support, they're really helpful.

To answer your previous question, my degree is sustainable development but I have also studied: German, Hebrew, Biblical Studies, Management, Geography and History. My housemates study/ied maths, medicine and German. What are you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending