The Student Room Group

The 'Which uni to pick' thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by orangebanana123
Same! Between Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham!

Think I'm going to be choosing between Bham and Leeds but I come to Bham all the time and don't think I'll enjoy it. Leeds seems so much more lively and fun! Do you knw much about Leeds the city?

No not really :/ I really liked it on the open day but that's all I have to go by! The dental school is one of the best I think :smile: What makes you prefer those to sheffield?
Reply 41
Can't decide between Imperial and UCL as my firm choice for Biochemistry. Imperial was originally my first choice, but I'm concerned about the low level of student satisfaction and the so called "stereotypes" that everyone talks about. UCL seemed much more welcoming and friendly when I visited and I think I'd enjoy University more if I went there, but Imperial is generally regarded as better/more prestigious and I prefer its location (despite accommodation being more expensive). The courses are very similar except that the course at Imperial includes a study year abroad which is something I'm interested in doing. Is anyone else struggling to choose between the two? From what I've seen on other threads there seems to be quite a few people in my position.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by :)ella
reeally can't decide! i have offers from belfast, leeds and sheffield and it's probably between leeds and sheffield but i loved them both!

which do you think?

And what are you choosing between?

Tbh think leeds and sheffield are both awesome cities but here are a few differences i can think of!
You've got leeds which is a massive city, sheffield is a much smaller possibly more student friendly city? Also there isn't much in it between the dental schools, in terms of how good they are but the student satisfaction is slightly higher at sheffield and appears higher in the league tables:smile: Leeds is probably a slightly prettier city but the accommodation at sheffield is better so mehh :biggrin: Think leeds has a bigger night life scene but its also more expensive to live in leeds! :biggrin: Also im not sure if leeds do this aswell but sheffield have this outreach scheme which sounds pretty neat(good way to prepare u for graduating!) :P urmmmm leeds is further up north so possibly slightly colder not that that really matters :smile: Anyway yeah thats about it hope it helps :biggrin: I've got a similar dilemma with Bristol or sheffield haha
Reply 43
Original post by LaurieStumper
Tbh think leeds and sheffield are both awesome cities but here are a few differences i can think of!
You've got leeds which is a massive city, sheffield is a much smaller possibly more student friendly city? Also there isn't much in it between the dental schools, in terms of how good they are but the student satisfaction is slightly higher at sheffield and appears higher in the league tables:smile: Leeds is probably a slightly prettier city but the accommodation at sheffield is better so mehh :biggrin: Think leeds has a bigger night life scene but its also more expensive to live in leeds! :biggrin: Also im not sure if leeds do this aswell but sheffield have this outreach scheme which sounds pretty neat(good way to prepare u for graduating!) :P urmmmm leeds is further up north so possibly slightly colder not that that really matters :smile: Anyway yeah thats about it hope it helps :biggrin: I've got a similar dilemma with Bristol or sheffield haha

Thats a really good summary thanks! Sorry I can't be more helpful with yours but I don't know bristol at all :/ I get the impression that sheffield is a bit more down to earth but thats all I can come up with
(edited 11 years ago)
Thats a really good summary thanks! Sorry I can't be more helpful with yours but I don't know bristol at all :/ I get the impression that sheffield is a bit more down to earth but thats all I can come up with

Leeds:
- Integrated curriculum
- Mixture of teaching styles (mainly lectures and e-lectures)
- Early clinical exposure
- Has a very good reputation for the social side i.e. clubbing and shopping
- Have an outreach scheme to Hull, Leeds and Bradford

Sheffield:
- Traditional curriculum
- In 9-5 from year 1
- Teaching style mainly lectures
- Although a larger city than Leeds, can feel like a large town (rather than a city)
- The Student Union is one of the best (if not the best) in the UK and has won many awards for it
- They have a 24/7 library which was built in 2007 and stays open all the time, even on Christmas day!
- Their choice of accommodation is amazing, so much to choose from and they have enough to go around for everyone that you can stay in halls for 3 years if you wanted to
- They have an outreach scheme as mentioned by LaurieStumper
- Sheffield is quite green and hilly, so if you want to be in a rural city go for Sheffield

In terms of dental schools, both are at the same level and even I would find it difficult to choose between the two. Although personally, I'd end up going for Leeds because of the integrated curriculum and early clinical exposure.

Look at UniStats and look at the feedback from actual students from the university for dentistry.

Good luck and well done on getting 3 offers.

Edit: I got bored of Sheffield as a city after 3 years, I dread to think how I'd have felt if I had been there for 5. But the university is great! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LaurieStumper
I was lucky enough to get 3 offers :smile:
My choices are sheffield, Bristol and Cardiff. I'm finding it really hard to pick between sheffield and bristol due to the fact they are very similar! They are even the same distance from where i live ahaa HELP !!

I really like them both but is there any feature of either which the other doesn't have? They both have an amazing dental school so tbh i'd be happy at either :biggrin:
Cheers for any responses !

I'd choose Sheffield from Sheffield, Bristol and Cardiff. :smile:
Reply 46
Is the Leeds the only uni that use the MOOG simulation things instead of phantom heads? Cos that might be something people want to take into account
Original post by Haarts
Is the Leeds the only uni that use the MOOG simulation things instead of phantom heads? Cos that might be something people want to take into account

Only 2 dental schools in the WORLD use Moog Simulators, Leeds being one of them and another in the Netherlands.

Another distinguishing factor about Leeds is that they offer the Masters of Dental Surgery, Bachelor of Oral Science ... It probably won't mean anything when it comes to employment, but it's just something different I guess. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by easypeasylemon
Only 2 dental schools in the WORLD use Moog Simulators, Leeds being one of them and another in the Netherlands.

Another distinguishing factor about Leeds is that they offer the Masters of Dental Surgery, Bachelor of Oral Science ... It probably won't mean anything when it comes to employment, but it's just something different I guess. :smile:

Thanks for the info!

But personally I'm not a fan of the simulators, much prefer the phantom heads
Reply 49
Sounds like liverpools a winner then! I know living out is more expensive but in terms of the social side its so worth it!

Thanks! I've decided to go to liverpool :biggrin:
Original post by Devina-S
For me it's between Warwick and Birmingham (unconditional). Any help please :smile:

I too am having serious trouble deciding between Birmingham who offered me unconditional and Warwick who offered me AAA for Politics and IR. Warwick has this fancy Oxbridge reject clever reputation but Birmingham as a place is soo much nicer. Have you looked at both?
Reply 51
Original post by chloerachel94
I too am having serious trouble deciding between Birmingham who offered me unconditional and Warwick who offered me AAA for Politics and IR. Warwick has this fancy Oxbridge reject clever reputation but Birmingham as a place is soo much nicer. Have you looked at both?

Ah it's a horrible decision to make! They're both great uni's, and when I visited them I concluded that I prefer Birmingham's campus and feel but loved Warwick too, and the rep is undeniable, esp for business (which is what I want to do). I am swaying more towards Bham however, because AAA seems a bit unachievable to me now, Spanish is so difficult to get an A in :-/ what is your gut feeling?
Reply 52
Original post by BRFCMATT
Can't decide between Imperial and UCL as my firm choice for Biochemistry. Imperial was originally my first choice, but I'm concerned about the low level of student satisfaction and the so called "stereotypes" that everyone talks about. UCL seemed much more welcoming and friendly when I visited and I think I'd enjoy University more if I went there, but Imperial is generally regarded as better/more prestigious and I prefer its location (despite accommodation being more expensive). The courses are very similar except that the course at Imperial includes a study year abroad which is something I'm interested in doing. Is anyone else struggling to choose between the two? From what I've seen on other threads there seems to be quite a few people in my position.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

UCL by a mile! The different is only slight with regard to prestige, base it upon how well you think you will do there and how comfortable you will be. You have to spend 3/4 years there!!
Hi. I have 3 offers...Cardiff, Queen Mary's and Bristol. My favorite is Bristol but what do people recommend for my insurance? I just want to give myself the best chance of getting into dentistry in case I don't make the offer grades. What were the experiences of past pupils who applied to Cardiff and Queen Mary's? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.:smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Dancing queen
Hi. I have 3 offers...Cardiff, Queen Mary's and Bristol. My favorite is Bristol but what do people recommend for my insurance? I just want to give myself the best chance of getting into dentistry in case I don't make the offer grades. What were the experiences of past pupils who applied to Cardiff and Queen Mary's? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.:smile:

Well done for 3 offers!!! What condition grades do you need? I supposed 3A. In case you don't make the offer grades for Bristol, do you still have chance to get in your insurance dental Uni?:smile::smile: You may think to keep insurance offer for lower grade Uni(not a dental)?..good luck:smile:
Reply 55
Sounds like liverpools a winner then! I know living out is more expensive but in terms of the social side its so worth it!

I think I've changed my mind to manchester. I'm thinking I could move out for the first year.
Reply 56
Hi my offers are from liverpool and newcastle and I really don't know which to pick!
I live in newcastle so I know I'd like it and I'd still move out into halls but is it better to move even further away from home and try a new place?
And what do people think about newcastle's teaching vs. liverpool's PBL?
Original post by CHelenL
Hi my offers are from liverpool and newcastle and I really don't know which to pick!
I live in newcastle so I know I'd like it and I'd still move out into halls but is it better to move even further away from home and try a new place?
And what do people think about newcastle's teaching vs. liverpool's PBL?

I don't know much about the structure of Liverpool's PBL course. But Newcastle is quite a lot of lectures and practicals in first year. You have to think which method would suit you better :smile:

If you have any other questions about being a dental student in Newcastle then feel free to ask.
Would love some advice :smile:

bristol, newcastle or manchester?

thanks in advance!
Reply 59
Original post by orange.bananna
I don't know much about the structure of Liverpool's PBL course. But Newcastle is quite a lot of lectures and practicals in first year. You have to think which method would suit you better :smile:

If you have any other questions about being a dental student in Newcastle then feel free to ask.

Thank you! :smile: I think I am leaning more towards newcastle, so if I do choose there do you have any advice about which halls are the best? - thanks for your help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest