The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rio to stay - no question. His experience has been vital this season and he's put in some great displays, showing the same old reassurance. Stats show that he's played more games for us since he didn't play for England so I hope that continues.

Smalling is his heir replacement but needs to work more on communication which I think he's admitted he needs to improve. Jones' position is in the air atm - he plays RB, DM and CB. It's crucial to give him the position that he's comfortable and excels in and I think DM might work out to be good for him. At Blackburn, he impressed tremendously in the CB position but Vidic is our only defender who is outstanding in the air and I'm wondering whether Jones could provide that in the air?

I'm confused about Nani's punishment. He got a straight red so does that mean he's got 2 games to miss or one?
Reply 2221
Would love us to get luke shaw, not sure why we aren't linked with him more.... Chelsea are in a similar situation with cole as we are with evra, only shaw probably has a better chance of first team football at united and would add to the strong group of young Englishman we have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
5 United players start v England, Kagawa played and Hernandez will too (anyone else?) That's a big impact on keeping team fresh for next two games.

Original post by Brainiac
Would love us to get luke shaw, not sure why we aren't linked with him more.... Chelsea are in a similar situation with cole as we are with evra, only shaw probably has a better chance of first team football at united and would add to the strong group of young Englishman we have.

I'd love Luke Shaw but i think our team is at an awkward point at LB. Literally the only way i see Shaw joining us is if two of Evra, Buttner + Fabio went and i can't see that happening. Even if two go, you'd figure Shaw is too good to stay at backup LB for a few years, but he's also too inexperienced to be first team LB for us, so meh
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by qasidb
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21944683

The Neville brothers' father has been arrested because of indecent assault however that story isn't really worthy of being put up on this thread. BUT the reason I did is to draw attention to his name. Surname: Neville. First name: Neville. He's called Neville Neville! His first name's the same as his second! Made me lol!

That's all really. I just found it funny and it was remotely Man Utd related so I thought I'd share it.

I think most people here knew his name already. :wink:
Reply 2224
Original post by SirMasterKey
I think most people here knew his name already. :wink:

Original post by River85
You didn't know this before?

No I just found out literally a few minutes ago. Damn! I may as well delete the post to save myself from further humiliation from the fact that I didn't know something that apparently a lot of people already knew and I was shouting it out as if nobody knew.
RvP scored twice this game now and once last, lets hope he brings this goalscoring back with him.

Also got assists in both games i believe.

Fletcher (and Cattermole) out for rest of season for Sunderland. Bad news for them, good news for our game

Not really surprised, he will be 32/33 at the end of contract. After that I don't see to many top clubs wanting him and United are probably one of the best clubs to prolong your career and maybe 1/2 of the Italian clubs.
Original post by Tommyjw
5 United players start v England, Kagawa played and Hernandez will too (anyone else?) That's a big impact on keeping team fresh for next two games.

I'd love Luke Shaw but i think our team is at an awkward point at LB. Literally the only way i see Shaw joining us is if two of Evra, Buttner + Fabio went and i can't see that happening. Even if two go, you'd figure Shaw is too good to stay at backup LB for a few years, but he's also too inexperienced to be first team LB for us, so meh

Luke shaw is an interesting player wrt where he'd go, I could see him playing at city being clichy's understudy for a season or two, but chelsea, united and arsenal don't need him at this moment in time. I guess liverpool if they have jack robinson or spurs. In fact either city or spurs will get him if he were to go next season.
Anyone see SAF leaving a few aside for Monday? Obviously PL is the priority but with the title (hopefully!!) wrapped up can see RVP or WR not playing, especially with international travelling. Although Chicharito and Welbeck were both away, can see a Rooney-Welbeck attack with Chicharito-RVP on Monday.
Original post by cheetahs56
Anyone see SAF leaving a few aside for Monday? Obviously PL is the priority but with the title (hopefully!!) wrapped up can see RVP or WR not playing, especially with international travelling. Although Chicharito and Welbeck were both away, can see a Rooney-Welbeck attack with Chicharito-RVP on Monday.

I think Rooney will play. RVP probably save for Monday wouldn't surprised me to see them both start both games tbh. Van Persie has gotten 3 goals last 2 games so hopefully we see him score either against Sunderland or Chelsea.

I think it'll be smalling rio evans buttner again against sunderland. They have lost steven flecther so rio and evans will be in for a comfortable day. Evra and Rafael to be played against Chelsea. Might even be Smalling evans in the center with rio and vidic against Chelsea

I think Kagawa and Hernandez will start against Chelsea. i hope so anyway
Some definitely will be left aside for Monday. I think SAF is keen to do the Double this year, especially after going out in the CL. Chelsea were on a decent run prior to the break but it might work against them, having to get started again when they looked OK.

Chicharito/Kag are flying back in private jets (think they should be back by now? or tomorrow?) so they might be in contention for Monday.

Vidic will probably get a game alongside Evans with Rio possibly returning for Monday.
Reply 2233
Nani, Jones and Scholes are back, could be crucial, I think our priority is monday now, have to start with Hernandez against Chelsea they cannot deal with him, and would prefer Nani over Valencia, Jones could help with dealing with the creative trio at Chelsea so good news both are fit.

Plus whats with all these pointless negs on this thread, at least explain why your negging if you're a man utd fan, or is it just rival fans.
Original post by rohitbd
Nani, Jones and Scholes are back, could be crucial, I think our priority is monday now, have to start with Hernandez against Chelsea they cannot deal with him, and would prefer Nani over Valencia, Jones could help with dealing with the creative trio at Chelsea so good news both are fit.

Plus whats with all these pointless negs on this thread, at least explain why your negging if you're a man utd fan, or is it just rival fans.

Hernandez will probably score as our team has brain farts against this sob(luiz in particular), Jones will probably be there to man mark mata and rafael to mark hazard but this won't work due to our fluidity, oscar will probably start here too to stop carrick hopefully.

I think the only way you'd beat us is by pressuring our CM/DMs where we're very weak and hitting us on the wing on counter attacks narrowing down. Mikel and lampard pass the ball too slow, lampard and ramires aren't defensive enough and mikel and ramires work best but aren't as good at dictating the tempo or controlling the midfield.
Original post by rohitbd

I can imagine us starting with Giggs or Kagawa on the left against Chelsea, with Young on the right if Nani isn't match fit. Can't wait for the Sunderland game tbh, hate international breaks. Hope we smash them to bits.
Line ups

Sunderland: Mignolet, Bardsley, Bramble, O'Shea, Rose, Johnson, Gardner, N'Diaye, McClean, Sessegnon, Graham. Subs: Westwood, Larsson, Wickham, Kilgallon, Colback, Mangane, Mandron.

Man Utd: De Gea, Da Silva, Vidic, Smalling, Buttner, Valencia, Carrick, Anderson, Young, Kagawa, van Persie. Subs: Lindegaard, Evra, Evans, Nani, Welbeck, Cleverley, Powell.

Looks like it'll be Rio and Evans at the back with Rooney and Hernandez up top against Chelsea on Monday. I think this is the first time in awhile we only had one recognised striker on the bench.
Reply 2237
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2301323/Manchester-United-want-Barcelona-midfielder-Thiago-Alcantara.html

His father makes it clear that he wants regular football and this guy is class, definitely possible for him to make the move, and though he is from Barca and could want a move back but this guy is quality and better than Pogba, the only hurdle is Barca not letting him go, or Bayern/Pep beating us to it.
Original post by rohitbd
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2301323/Manchester-United-want-Barcelona-midfielder-Thiago-Alcantara.html

His father makes it clear that he wants regular football and this guy is class, definitely possible for him to make the move, and though he is from Barca and could want a move back but this guy is quality and better than Pogba, the only hurdle is Barca not letting him go, or Bayern/Pep beating us to it.

If he lives up to the hype then the only outcome I can see if we sign him is him being fabregased back in a few years.
Hmmm Yeah hes one player I don't want going. I really like him and only way i see it is if there's a buyback clause. I think he will get more games since Xavi is going to be playing less and less and Iniesta does need to be rested more.

Latest