The Student Room Group

Titration Calculations???

I'm currently doing the new spec for AQA Chemistry unit 3.
I have my exam coming up soon, and I am really stuck on titration calculations..?! And, my book doesn't really explain it well either... Can anyone please help me and explain in simple terms how to calculate this..? :s-smilie::confused:
Just remember moles = mass/Mr and moles = volume x concentration and you'll be fine. Volume is in dm³ and concentration is moldm³. If they're not in them units then convert them!
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Arshii
I'm currently doing the new spec for AQA Chemistry unit 3.
I have my exam coming up soon, and I am really stuck on titration calculations..?! And, my book doesn't really explain it well either... Can anyone please help me and explain in simple terms how to calculate this..? :s-smilie::confused:

Two formulae, M(Moles)= CV (concentration x volume)
And G= Mr conc ( Think of a teacher called Mr conc :biggrin: )

You always get 3 values, the concentration and volume of one substance and just the volume of another.

Do M=CV for the one where you know the concentration and volume to find moles, If the volume is in cm3 divide it by 1000. So it's USUALLY concentration x volume/1000

Then do a ratio so if its 1H2SO4 + 1NAOH the ratio is 1:1

Therefore the moles you found in M=CV will be the same, if it was 1:2 then the moles would be multiplied by 2

So now you'll have the mole value and the volume of the other substance (again probably in cm3, if so divide it by 1000 if that is the case.) Rearrange to do the moles/Volume= Concentration.

When you find this if they want it in g/dm3 then G=Mr conc comes in

Multiply the concentration you found earlier by the Mr of that substance and you're done.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sneakbo2
Two formulae, M(Moles)= CV (concentration x volume)
And G= Mr conc ( Think of a teacher called Mr conc :biggrin: )

You always get 3 values, the concentration and volume of one substance and just the volume of another.

Do M=CV for the one where you know the concentration and volume to find moles, If the volume is in cm3 divide it by 1000. So it's USUALLY concentration x volume/1000

Then do a ratio so if its 1H2SO4 + 1NAOH the ratio is 1:1

Therefore the moles you found in M=CV will be the same, if it was 1:2 then the moles would be multiplied by 2

So now you'll have the mole value and the volume of the other substance (again probably in cm3, if so divide it by 1000 if that is the case.) Rearrange to do the moles/Volume= Concentration.

When you find this if they want it in g/dm3 then G=Mr conc comes in

Multiply the concentration you found earlier by the Mr of that substance and you're done.

Thanks!
One question, what does the formula, G= Mr conc stand for and what did you use it for...?
Reply 4
Original post by Arshii
Thanks!
One question, what does the formula, G= Mr conc stand for and what did you use it for...?

G(Grams/dm3)= MR(relative atomic masses of elements added together) x concentration of the substance
Reply 5
Original post by sneakbo2
G(Grams/dm3)= MR(relative atomic masses of elements added together) x concentration of the substance

Thank you soo much! :biggrin: x

Quick Reply

Latest