The Student Room Group

c4 help

find the values of x in the range 0degrees < or equal to x < or equal 360 degrees. that satisfy sec(2x)=3

no idea what to do :/
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by iamgreatness
find the values of x in the range 0degrees < or equal to x < or equal 360 degrees. that satisfy sec(2x)-3

sec(2x)-3 is an expression and expressions don't have solutions.

You've missed something out of your question.
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
sec(2x)-3 is an expression and expressions don't have solutions.

You've missed something out of your question.

im sorry its =3
Reply 3
find the values of x in the range 0degrees < or equal to x < or equal 360 degrees. that satisfy sec(2x)=3

sec2x=1cos2x\displaystyle \sec 2x = \frac{1}{\cos 2x}

so you can manipulate the equation to give

cos2x=13\displaystyle \cos 2x = \frac{1}{3}

Can you continue from here? If not, post your working/ideas.
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
sec2x=1cos2x\displaystyle \sec 2x = \frac{1}{\cos 2x}

so you can manipulate the equation to give

cos2x=13\displaystyle \cos 2x = \frac{1}{3}

Can you continue from here? If not, post your working/ideas.

i cant do it
i cant do it

You don't know how to solve the equation cos2x=13\displaystyle \cos 2x = \frac{1}{3} between 0 and 360 degrees?

Could you solve cosu=13\displaystyle \cos u = \frac{1}{3} between 0 and 720 degrees?

If so make a substitution u=2xu = 2x.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
i cant do it

How would you solve cosx=13\displaystyle \cos x =\frac{1}{3}?

Do the same for this but here you'll have '2x =' intead of 'x ='.

Again, post any working and any ideas that you have if you're still stuck. This is not a solutions forum and it's hard to help if I don't know your problem.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
You don't know how to solve the equation cos2x=3\cos 2x = 3 between 0 and 360 degrees?

Could you solve cosu=3\cos u = 3 between 0 and 720 degrees?

cos2x=3\cos 2x = 3 or cosu=3\cos u = 3 have no solution

because 1cos(anything)1 -1 \leq \cos (anything) \leq 1
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ztibor

Well yes, we both know that was a typo.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by notnek
How would you solve cosx=13\displaystyle \cos x =\frac{1}{3}?

Do the same for this but here you'll have '2x =' intead of 'x ='.

Again, post any working and any ideas that you have if you're still stuck. This is not a solutions forum and it's hard to help if I don't know your problem.

Original post by Mr M
You don't know how to solve the equation cos2x=13\displaystyle \cos 2x = \frac{1}{3} between 0 and 360 degrees?

Could you solve cosu=13\displaystyle \cos u = \frac{1}{3} between 0 and 720 degrees?

im sorry i cant do it

what bit is this whats it called i will look it up in my textbook but does it have a name e.g partial fracitons
im sorry i cant do it

what bit is this whats it called i will look it up in my textbook but does it have a name e.g partial fracitons

This is just Core 2 trigonometry. You really should know it inside out by the time you study Core 4.
Reply 11

sec(2x) = 3

=> 1/cos(2x) = 3

=> cos(2x) = 1/3

Opgave cos.jpgclick to magnify

Coordinate system contains the graphs of cos(2x) and 1/3, you can see they meet 4 times in the interval 0 to 360 degrees. So you are looking for 4 solutions.

Now use the inverse cosine (cos-1) function on your calculator to find one of the solutions.

Solution 1
cos-1(1/3) = 70.529 degrees

2x = 70.529 degrees

x = 35.264 degrees

Solution 2
Because of symmetri on the graph, solution 2 must be 180 degrees minus solution 1, solution 3 is 180 plus solution 1 and solution 4 is 360 minus solution1. (Use unit-circle to clarify this to yourself if coordinatsystem doesn't make sense)

x = 180 - 35.264 = 144.736 degrees

Solution 3

x = 180 + 35.264 = 215.264 degrees

Solution 4

x = 360 - 35.264 = 324.736 degrees
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M
This is just Core 2 trigonometry. You really should know it inside out by the time you study Core 4.

i got a B in c2, duno why this is in c4 section A examples then
Reply 13
Original post by Studentdk

Full solutions are not allowed in this forum. Please read the posting guide before making another post.

Because of the use of the reciprocal trigonometric ratio.
Reply 15

Do you understand what to do now?

I don't believe that you had literally no idea how to solve cosx=13\cos x = \frac{1}{3} in that region.

To find one solution would be a GCSE question.
Reply 16
Original post by notnek
Do you understand what to do now?

I don't believe that you had literally no idea how to solve cosx=13\cos x = \frac{1}{3} in that region.

To find one solution would be a GCSE question.

=> 1/cos(2x) = 3

=> cos(2x) = 1/3

it was just this step i had trouble with. i guess u just flip over the 1/cox(2x) to get cos2x and coz u flipped that u have to flip the 3 which makes 1/3??
Reply 17
Original post by Studentdk
sec(2x) = 3

=> 1/cos(2x) = 3

=> cos(2x) = 1/3

Opgave cos.jpgclick to magnify

Coordinate system contains the graphs of cos(2x) and 1/3, you can see they meet 4 times in the interval 0 to 360 degrees. So you are looking for 4 solutions.

Now use the inverse cosine (cos-1) function on your calculator to find one of the solutions.

Solution 1
cos-1(1/3) = 70.529 degrees

2x = 70.529 degrees

x = 35.264 degrees

Solution 2
Because of symmetri on the graph, solution 2 must be 180 degrees minus solution 1, solution 3 is 180 plus solution 1 and solution 4 is 360 minus solution1. (Use unit-circle to clarify this to yourself if coordinatsystem doesn't make sense)

x = 180 - 35.264 = 144.736 degrees

Solution 3

x = 180 + 35.264 = 215.264 degrees

Solution 4

x = 360 - 35.264 = 324.736 degrees

thnx altho ur not supposed to post full solutions sometimes, like arnold scwarzeneger said, u have to bend rules. thank u
Reply 18
Original post by notnek
Full solutions are not allowed in this forum. Please read the posting guide before making another post.

I apologise for having gone against the common spirit of this forum by posting a full solution, I was not aware of this "rule".

I do however believe that the person asking the question had received so many hints without understanding, that at some point the best help would be to see a solution.
Reply 19
=> 1/cos(2x) = 3

=> cos(2x) = 1/3

it was just this step i had trouble with. i guess u just flip over the 1/cox(2x) to get cos2x and coz u flipped that u have to flip the 3 which makes 1/3??

You should have mentioned this before.

1cos2x=3    1=3cos2x    cos2x=13\displaystyle \frac{1}{\cos 2x} = 3 \implies 1=3\cos 2x \implies \cos 2x = \frac{1}{3}

Quick Reply

Latest