The Student Room Group

Doing Maths A-level over three years

I'm currently in year eleven and studying for a Maths AS (I completed my GCSE in year ten).

For the AS at my current school, I will have completed C1 (which I've already done and got 91/100 UMS in), C2 and S1 by June.

However, I'm planning on moving to a different school for sixth form. For the AS there, they take C1, C2 and M1; and C3, C4 and S1 at A2.

I therefore would have to redo my AS in year twelve in order to take M1. I've been told I would have to redo C1 and C2 as well.

What I'm wondering is, would I be able to combine these grades with the grades for the AS exams I'm taking this academic year? If I did, say, better in my C1 exam this year than I do next year, would I be able to use the better grade?

Would universities regard doing the C1 and C2 exams twice as being the same as doing a retake?

Also, would I be able to get any extra UCAS points from the AS I'm currently studying? As (techinically) I'd end up with an AS in Maths with Statistics and a full A-level in Maths.

Thanks in advance guys :bl::bl::bl:
Reply 1
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
I'm currently in year eleven and studying for a Maths AS (I completed my GCSE in year ten).

For the AS at my current school, I will have completed C1 (which I've already done and got 91/100 UMS in), C2 and S1 by June.

However, I'm planning on moving to a different school for sixth form. For the AS there, they take C1, C2 and M1; and C3, C4 and S1 at A2.

I therefore would have to redo my AS in year twelve in order to take M1. I've been told I would have to redo C1 and C2 as well.

What I'm wondering is, would I be able to combine these grades with the grades for the AS exams I'm taking this academic year? If I did, say, better in my C1 exam this year than I do next year, would I be able to use the better grade?

Would universities regard doing the C1 and C2 exams twice as being the same as doing a retake?

Also, would I be able to get any extra UCAS points from the AS I'm currently studying? As (techinically) I'd end up with an AS in Maths with Statistics and a full A-level in Maths.

You will not have an extra AS

I would not advise taking AS this year

I'd recommend you not to do the AS again as it would simply be a waste of time! You should ask your school if it is possible to move you in with the yr 13s doing A2 maths?

If not I'd recommend you to pick something else instead of Maths (Further maths maybe?) and selfteach A2 maths so by the end of year 12 you'll have a full A Level :biggrin:. Loads of people do it on this site so it's perfectly possible :smile:

As for the questions:

Yes you would keep the better grade and it would look like a retake

No you wouldn't get any extra UCAS points you would end up with the normal amount from doing A Level Maths.

Hey! I'm in exactly the same position...did my GCSE in year 10 got an A* and now doing a level early, done C1 and got an A and I've got C2 and D1 left in may. I'm moving for sixthform too and all the schools have said the exact same thing to me! So I'm considering dropping it and doing a GCSE in statistics instead then just starting from scratch as I'd have to do it all over again anyway. Plus I want to study medicine at uni so it puts me at a disadvantage if I redo the whole AS...
Reply 4
you can do that. what edexcel does is, if you retake an exam and get higher than your previous one, they ignore the previous one and put in the new one. Hoever, if you do not do better than your first exam, they will leave it as it is. to get an A-80UMS, B-70UMS, C-60UMS. To get an overall A in AS, you have to get 3 a's i.e 80+80+80=240UMS. for the whole 2 years of maths, you have to get 480UMS to get an overall A in a-level maths
Woooah you are smart
Original post by TenOfThem
You will not have an extra AS

I would not advise taking AS this year

Unfortunately, if I don't do the AS then I won't have anything else to do in Maths this year.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I'd recommend you not to do the AS again as it would simply be a waste of time! You should ask your school if it is possible to move you in with the yr 13s doing A2 maths?

If not I'd recommend you to pick something else instead of Maths (Further maths maybe?) and selfteach A2 maths so by the end of year 12 you'll have a full A Level :biggrin:. Loads of people do it on this site so it's perfectly possible :smile:

As for the questions:

Yes you would keep the better grade and it would look like a retake

No you wouldn't get any extra UCAS points you would end up with the normal amount from doing A Level Maths.

Unfortunately that wouldn't be possible, as they do M1 for their AS there, whereas at my current school we do S1.

Unfortunately I'm already planning on doing five A-levels plus General Studies, so I don't think an extra A-level would be a good idea!

Hmm. This is a bit of a pickle I'm stuck in.
Unfortunately, if I don't do the AS then I won't have anything else to do in Maths this year.

Doesn't your school do something like Further Maths GCSE/Additional Maths?
Original post by strawberries123
Hey! I'm in exactly the same position...did my GCSE in year 10 got an A* and now doing a level early, done C1 and got an A and I've got C2 and D1 left in may. I'm moving for sixthform too and all the schools have said the exact same thing to me! So I'm considering dropping it and doing a GCSE in statistics instead then just starting from scratch as I'd have to do it all over again anyway. Plus I want to study medicine at uni so it puts me at a disadvantage if I redo the whole AS...

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this situation! Would you be doing the Statistics GCSE through school, or independantly? It's a good idea though!
Unfortunately that wouldn't be possible, as they do M1 for their AS there, whereas at my current school we do S1.

Unfortunately I'm already planning on doing five A-levels plus General Studies, so I don't think an extra A-level would be a good idea!

Hmm. This is a bit of a pickle I'm stuck in.

Hmm have you considered self-teaching C3, C4, M1 if you can? Then you'll finish one A Level early, and you'll only be doing 3 subjects in yr 13 :yep:
I'm glad I'm not the only one in this situation! Would you be doing the Statistics GCSE through school, or independantly? It's a good idea though!

My school's already done it all, so I'm doing the controlled assessment bit with my school but have to self teach myself the whole syllabus for the exam...its not too bad, statistics is pretty easy, just a lot to remember
do further maths AS during the year and then do A2 maths with the others
OR ask to be put in the A2 maths class next year
I really feel for students who are finishing GCSEs early and not being catered for by their schools. :smile:
There is a whole lot of maths to enjoy between GCSE and AS/A2.
Original post by ThatPerson
Doesn't your school do something like Further Maths GCSE/Additional Maths?

Neither, unfortunately.
Hmm have you considered self-teaching C3, C4, M1 if you can? Then you'll finish one A Level early, and you'll only be doing 3 subjects in yr 13 :yep:

I could I guess, but that would mean an incredible amount of pressure in year twelve :/
I could I guess, but that would mean an incredible amount of pressure in year twelve :/

Think about how good that A* in Maths would look on your uni application :wink:
Plus you can always ask teachers and TSR for help so your not on your own :smile:
Think about how good that A* in Maths would look on your uni application :wink:
Plus you can always ask teachers and TSR for help so your not on your own :smile:

Hmm....I'm just not sure how viable it would be to get good marks in 3 AS exams, a full Maths A-level and General Studies in one year :/
Hmm....I'm just not sure how viable it would be to get good marks in 3 AS exams, a full Maths A-level and General Studies in one year :/

You'll be fine there's plenty of resources for teaching A2 Maths, CGP revision guides, Edexcel textbooks, mymaths, examsolutions, TSR etc... plenty of people do it on this site.

You'll be in the same boat as me; as we both sat the same C1, C2, S1 exams and I'll also be doing 3 other A2s alongside A2 maths and general studies.

But the plus side for you is, you won't have to do the same monotonous modules over again, you'll have an A Level at the end of yr 12 in the bag, and you'll have an easier A2 year!

Quick Reply

Latest