The Student Room Group

Is it possible to be asexual?

Your thoughts please, thank you.

Does anyone else identify themselves as asexual?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Iron Lady
Your thoughts please, thank you.

Yes, it is, I'm guessing you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jreid1994
Yes, it is, I'm guessing you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Possibly. Do you think it's weird?
Reply 3
Possibly. Do you think it's weird?

Well, not really, it's rare but, its better to be true to yourself than to lie to yourself about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well, not really, it's rare but, its better to be true to yourself than to lie to yourself about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True.
Reply 6
Definitely possible.
Reply 7
Completely possible. Though sometimes people get it confused with low libido caused by drugs/depression, which can be annoying re:dismissal.
Reply 8
True.

So, I'm guessing you find the idea of sex abhorrent? And don't find men or women sexually appealing in any way? If you say yes to both of these, then you're asexual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I suppose it is possible. The thought, for some reason, seems sad to me.
Reply 10
So, I'm guessing you find the idea of sex abhorrent? And don't find men or women sexually appealing in any way? If you say yes to both of these, then you're asexual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Somewhat to your first question;

I can't say for certain, considering my age and inexperience. But I've never had a relationship, or even felt a connection with someone. So I've thought that I may be asexual.
Reply 11
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I suppose it is possible. The thought, for some reason, seems sad to me.

Y?
Yes, however in many cases it could be something else killing sex drive.
Definitely possible. I don't know what the actual proportion is but for some the idea of sex is repulsive with any gender. This doesn't necessarily mean but could also mean you have no interest in a romantic relationship.
Reply 14
Don't know. Not something I've experienced. A pretty strong urge since age 11...
Somewhat to your first question;

I can't say for certain, considering my age and inexperience. But I've never had a relationship, or even felt a connection with someone. So I've thought that I may be asexual.

How old are you? And have you ever had a relationship at all? Have you ever had sex?
Do you suffer with depression or take antidepressants?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Y?

Sexual attration and sexual intimacy are very important in life, in my opinion. To think that people may have a disposition which means they will never experience such emotions is sad.

It also makes very good fun. Initial flirting around with a new crush where there is a common sexual attraction, for example.
I think that sexual intimacy probably gives a new dimention to the relationship that asexual people would not understand. I guess it's probably a trust in that other person.

I'm not trying to rub it in, OP. I am just trying to explain why I think the thought of asexual people is sad. I think they would miss out on a lot in life.
Reply 17
Sexual attration and sexual intimacy are very important in life, in my opinion. To think that people may have a disposition which means they will never experience such emotions is sad.

It also makes very good fun. Initial flirting around with a new crush where there is a common sexual attraction, for example.
I think that sexual intimacy probably gives a new dimention to the relationship that asexual people would not understand. I guess it's probably a trust in that other person.

I'm not trying to rub it in, OP. I am just trying to explain why I think the thought of asexual people is sad. I think they would miss out on a lot in life.

I'm asexual and I can understand what you're saying, however in my opinion I don't think I'm missing out simply because I'm not interested. I'm also probably aromantic - meaning I have no interest in a romantic relationship, so I think a romantically-orientated asexual will 'miss out' on a lot less. I actually have no idea what it's like to even have a romantic bond. Which may sound sad, but I'm not bothered because I have no interest. So in my opinion I am not 'missing out', I am slightly curious as to what it is like to be in love, but I don't get depressed over it. Anyway it also means I don't feel like a failure at still being single.
Reply 18
How old are you?
Between 18-25.

And have you ever had a relationship at all?

No.

Have you ever had sex?

No.

Do you suffer with depression or take antidepressants?

I suffer from anxiety, occasionally have anxiety attacks, along with other personality disorders. But, I do not take medication/antidepressants. I feel down from time-to-time, but I wouldn't identify myself with depression.
Reply 19

Thanks for your honesty.

I don't see the point in forcing attraction, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending