The Student Room Group

Was refused entry to a nightclub for no reason. What can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Glory&Honour
You and your mate sound like scum, you are refused entry and so your mate challenges the bouncer for a fight? Grow up please. And now you want to play the race card? Please.
if you were refused entry to a club it was probably because you were drunk, as no club would hire someone who was a racist, and risk being sued.

Lol you seem ignorant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the fact that your group of friends thought it was reasonable to (apparently) knock the bouncer out is one of the many reasons you wasn't allowed in. Perhaps security had noticed that your party group had been far too drunk inside and kicking off that they decided not to let anymore of you in, especially if that party had a lot of men.

Playing the race card is pretty petty. Plenty of people get turned down from clubs every weekend for no real reason - all you can do is accept it and move on to the next. Hitting the bouncer won't do you any favours for the future though. Durrrrrrrrrrrr.
Reply 22
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
I think the fact that your group of friends thought it was reasonable to (apparently) knock the bouncer out is one of the many reasons you wasn't allowed in. Perhaps security had noticed that your party group had been far too drunk inside and kicking off that they decided not to let anymore of you in, especially if that party had a lot of men.

Playing the race card is pretty petty. Plenty of people get turned down from clubs every weekend for no real reason - all you can do is accept it and move on to the next. Hitting the bouncer won't do you any favours for the future though. Durrrrrrrrrrrr.

To be honest, when I arrived at the club no one from my party was drunk or uncooperative.

It was like 30 minutes after my mate was kicked out did **** happen
Reply 23
To be perfectly honest they could very well have been racist. There is a well-known club in my home city whose bouncers have a reputation for making, shall we say, "prejudiced" remarks and turning away guys/girls of a certain colour, but they get away with it because no-one can prove it and they are a popular club so never answer the phone/respond to complaints about racism.

Getting your friend who was the police officer to complain was a very good shout, can you get as many as possible of the other 30 to contact the management as well? Arguing with bouncers directly never does good, you may have to sacrifice the odd night out but in the end the best way is simply to speak to whoever's in charge. If they see it may result in a potential major loss of business/bad press they will probably have a word with the bouncers.
Reply 24
Original post by Ezekiella
To be perfectly honest they could very well have been racist. There is a well-known club in my home city whose bouncers have a reputation for making, shall we say, "prejudiced" remarks and turning away guys/girls of a certain colour, but they get away with it because no-one can prove it and they are a popular club so never answer the phone/respond to complaints about racism.

Getting your friend who was the police officer to complain was a very good shout, can you get as many as possible of the other 30 to contact the management as well? Arguing with bouncers directly never does good, you may have to sacrifice the odd night out but in the end the best way is simply to speak to whoever's in charge. If they see it may result in a potential major loss of business/bad press they will probably have a word with the bouncers.

Whats the point?

The night was ruined, and its changed my outlook completely of clubbing.

It's no wonder bouncers get abused so much...
Door Supervisors are allowed to refuse entry to anyone and they legally do not have to give a reason for it. Just like in a shop or a pub, when they open the doors, it is an invitation to buy, that is all. They are not legally required to serve anyone.
Best reason for refusal we've had is there are already some lads from the same city in here...
Reply 27
Original post by po10tial
Whats the point?

The night was ruined, and its changed my outlook completely of clubbing.

It's no wonder bouncers get abused so much...

Well, either you do something about it or you don't. Best way to make up for your ruined night is to have a firm word with the management, just my two cents. You can't get your night back but you can make sure this doesn't happen again. Plus it's important to stand up for yourself.

And yeah some bouncers are dickheads, not much you can do about that. One of my best friends runs several nights out at uni and he admits club managers often choose aggressive tough guys about twice the size of normal people for a good reason - they often have to deal with (usually more than one) drunk rowdy people who often get pushy and physical. An unfortunate side-effect of this is very often being a dick. You can find nice ones at the more expensive clubs, though, often bad bouncers do reflect bad management.
Reply 28
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Door Supervisors are allowed to refuse entry to anyone and they legally do not have to give a reason for it. Just like in a shop or a pub, when they open the doors, it is an invitation to buy, that is all. They are not legally required to serve anyone.

Wow, I never knew that.

So how do these clubs make money if they are going to refuse entry to people like me.

I don't get this logic at all. Most clubs allow free entry for girls to attract guys into clubs. Guys are then charged £10 for entry, but then not many guys are allowed inside. The whole point of charging guys is to make money but whats the point if you aren't gonna let many of them. Also drinks won't really make huge profit as such.
Wow, I never knew that.

So how do these clubs make money if they are going to refuse entry to people like me.

I don't get this logic at all. Most clubs allow free entry for girls to attract guys into clubs. Guys are then charged £10 for entry, but then not many guys are allowed inside. The whole point of charging guys is to make money but whats the point if you aren't gonna let many of them. Also drinks won't really make huge profit as such.
That is the clubs problem to be fair, and not yours. If you have a shop for example, when you open the door, that is an invitation for people to come in and buy items. As the owner or manager of that shop, you are allowed to withdraw that invitation at anytime, and refuse to serve anyone you want, and you do not have to give a reason. It is just the same as inviting someone into you're house. You can ask them to leave anytime they want, and if they refuse to leave, they are breaking the law.
Reply 30
How can just one guy(ME) make a HUGE difference to the club atmosphere? How can one guy like me cause so much trouble? I don't even drink and I experienced discrimination and double standards first hand. You aren't allowed in because there are too many guys inside. Five minutes later...10 GUYS ARE ALLOWED IN EVEN THOUGH NO ONE IS LEAVING THE CLUB! THE ****. So one guy will MAKE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE AND TEN GUYS WON'T?

I asked the woman (management) whether it was because I was brown that I wasn't allowed in and she laughed and walked off
How can just one guy(ME) make a HUGE difference to the club atmosphere? How can one guy like me cause so much trouble? I don't even drink and I experienced discrimination and double standards first hand. You aren't allowed in because there are too many guys inside. Five minutes later...10 GUYS ARE ALLOWED IN EVEN THOUGH NO ONE IS LEAVING THE CLUB! THE ****. So one guy will MAKE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE AND TEN GUYS WON'T?

I asked the woman (management) whether it was because I was brown that I wasn't allowed in and she laughed and walked off
If they said they are refusing you admission due to gender, colour, Creed and the like, then they are breaking the law. However, if they refuse you admission because you wear trainers, or they just don't like the look of you, that is perfectly legal, as is, not giving you a reason.
You can write a letter of complaint to the club, telling them you feel discriminated and that this rejects the act of public equality or something like that.

You can then take it up to court if you really want to, and get that guy fired.
Reply 33
Original post by reneetaylor
You can write a letter of complaint to the club, telling them you feel discriminated and that this rejects the act of public equality or something like that.

You can then take it up to court if you really want to, and get that guy fired.

Whats the point?

Had a bad night out
I feel for you mate, but unless you have any sort of substantial evidence that you were discriminated against then you have no case. They might well have been racist but they could just as easily turn round and say that your shoes weren't right for the club.

I would talk to management and see if you can get compensated, but even that would be a stretch!
Whats the point?

Had a bad night out

Everyone has those times. You'll have plenty more nights out.
Reply 36
I love how you assume racism because you're of a different race.

How's that chip on your shoulder eh?
Reply 37
Original post by Steevee
I love how you assume racism because you're of a different race.

How's that chip on your shoulder eh?

What chip?
Reply 38
What chip?

:mmm:

Do you not understand the expression?
Reply 39
Original post by Steevee
:mmm:

Do you not understand the expression?

Yes I do