The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
After our first eight games or so if someone said we'd get knocked out the CL group stages and struggle for top four I would of laughed.
Now I have no idea how we were so great at the beginning of the season.

All those players on loan. Why. Why. Why. Who loaned them all out.

KDB, Essien and Lukaku all would have helped these past months.
Reply 261
Original post by Eloades11
Southampton had a real go at us, but I think we can justify the team selection today, Benitez had another good line up. The only problem I had with him was bringing Benayoun on, as if our loss wasn't guaranteed, he had to bring him on to make sure. Ba should've come on for either Torres (who had a good game, not great, but good), or Moses who was poor today. All credit towards Southampton, they had a cracker of a game and deserved the 3 points.

All is not lost, we're still ahead of Arsenal, a game in hand on Spurs and we have a much easier fixture list.
I disagree, Southampton have recently beaten both Liverpool and City, and we failed to beat them at home. This was a game we shouldn't have taken risks with, Monday's game is United's to lose tbh, and seeing as they've pretty much won the league already and only have the FA cup left to go for I doubt that will happen.

Definitely not worth sacrificing 3 points for a game we're likely to lose anyway, and even if we were to get through we'd still have to face City.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aramiss18
Nice to see some credit going to the Saints. We've been really unlucky with not getting points against the top teams despite playing better.

You guys are too dependent on Mata and Hazard but with a few additions in the summer should be title challengers. Need a better striker.

Moses is an athlete, not a footballer. He's also obviously dumb as ****.

Although it's good to see that saints fans have good and sportsman supporters, I have to disagree with the comments on Chelsea. We do not depend on Mata and Hazard, definitely not. They are possibly the most consistent players for Chelsea this season, but are they getting us wins? Are they banging in goals for us to win games? No. We were dependent on the likes of Drogba, Ballack, Zola, Hasselbaink ect... The thing is, every game I've watched Chelsea play this season with or without Mata/Hazard, they have not had a significant impact like Bale for Spurs. They do not win games, and Chelsea play exactly the same whether they're in the line up or not. They offer that bit of extra quality, but without a consistent goal scorer their efforts often fade.

I also disagree with Moses, but after his performance today I'm not too sure he deserves to be starting week in week out, but more as a sub. All I see him do is win corners, that's it.

Original post by Nickini
I disagree, Southampton have recently beaten both Liverpool and City, and we failed to beat them at home. This was a game we shouldn't have taken risks with, Monday's game is United's to lose tbh, and seeing as they've pretty much won the league already and only have the FA cup left to go for I doubt that will happen.

Definitely not worth sacrificing 3 points for a game we're likely to lose anyway, and even if we were to get through we'd still have to face City.

The thing is, Benitez has already made his plans clear that he wants trophies, and with the fixture congestion we need squad rotation. I agree that we need to focus on top 4 now more than the Europa League and FA cup, but even if Benitez did, what persons would you suggest should've started? David Luiz? He needs a rest for the bigger games to come. Ramires? He's been a quality player this season and I rate the guy highly, he's shown that he can perform in the big games and his presence will be needed against United. Marin is arguable, I would say that he shouldn't have started, his performance was abysmal as was Moses.

We're due a win against City, and if we do overcome United, I have belief that we can overcome City.
Reply 263
The thing is, Benitez has already made his plans clear that he wants trophies, and with the fixture congestion we need squad rotation. I agree that we need to focus on top 4 now more than the Europa League and FA cup, but even if Benitez did, what persons would you suggest should've started? David Luiz? He needs a rest for the bigger games to come. Ramires? He's been a quality player this season and I rate the guy highly, he's shown that he can perform in the big games and his presence will be needed against United. Marin is arguable, I would say that he shouldn't have started, his performance was abysmal as was Moses.

We're due a win against City, and if we do overcome United, I have belief that we can overcome City.
Securing a top 4 finish should be the priority, we underestimated Southampton when we had no excuse to.

Hazard should have started, or at least come on at half time. Ramires could have possibly started ahead of Lampard, I agree with what Tweek said earlier on Mikel and Lampard not making a particularly great partnership due to their combined lack of speed, with Ramires/Mikel subbed off for Lampard depending on the scoreline. Perhaps Ashley Cole in place of Bertrand as well (although I do agree with the decision to save Cole for United/Rubin).

Benayoun for Oscar was an odd decision, Oscar had been pretty anonymous, but him and Hazard work well together and Moses had been poor all game IMO, would rather had seen Benayoun on for Moses or ideally Ba on for Torres.
Still have a game in hand over Tottenham though!
Reply 265
Original post by Tweek
Why can everyone but Rafa see that Mikel and Lampard are the WORST pivot partnership possible. They're too ****ing slow. Jesus I get so annoyed seeing them on the team sheet together. Sub Frank for Ramires.

When I saw the team sheet I told my brother this. Such a **** partnership. We only went on that run of form when frank was injured for a ****ing reason. Put lampard in front of the two. Don't use him in the DLP position with mikel there too, or use frank there with ramires when we need a goal.

Original post by 419
i would also like some of what you are smoking.

Join le club. Not surprised lets be honest we have 4 games in 9 days and he just wants to win trophies to improve his CV rather than help the club progress for future years. I didn't watch the match just thought that if we were using a weakened team it'll just be a stupid banana skin match. Anyway still optimistic for top 4. Game in hand with tottenham to play. City are lucky they're not in competitions bar FA otherwise they'd be in a similar position to us and tottenham. You guys have pretty much got top 4 as we can't six point you anymore so just have to win your easy games.

Original post by UnWise
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world that Benitez is a decent tactician..

Manchester City lost away at Southampton. As did Liverpool. Thus, Benitez pulls the master stroke of resting Ashley Cole, Hazard, Ramires as well as putting Ivanovic at CB (I prefer Cahill/Luiz next to Terry; and none of them were played). Additionally, Mata was ill. End result: Southampton win by 2-1.

His choices are likely motivated by the fact that Chelsea play ManUtd in an FA Cup semifinal tie this Monday. However, at this point securing a top 4 finish has to be considered of greater importance than any other feasible title? Is Benitez desperately looking to improve his CV with an FA Cup title to a point where he is willing to sacrifice Chelsea's Champions League ambitions for next season? I don't know, but I'm gutted we lost.

The icing on the cake will be if ManUtd send us crashing out on Monday. :facepalm2:

Credit must be given to Soton though; they played some fantastic football today. I still want to see them go down, though; as I'm still disappointed that they axed Nigel Adkins.

Benitez is **** we know that. Had my reservations on the guy but tbh we still have time. Until the final game we'll have to see how our season will go as it could be a successful season so easily if we tried hard enough for it.

Anyway bar that, he ****ed up with his rotation. Looking how di matteo rotated around a similar period last season(the barca legs, FA cup semi and arsenal away he used his best teams for the most important matches, were this the CL I'd have accepted the rotation but we're in the europa league. Should have used a stronger team. Anyway how did marin play today? Seems like when marin plays we do bad, probably because we rotate the whole team to accomodate him.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 266
This is rubbish, we should prioritise getting top four in the league. I would rather us have a shot at the champions league next season than winning both FA cup and Europa league and not getting top four. Obviously if we could secure top four and win both cups I'd be ecstatic, however this means we would have a very tight schedule and with so many players on loan we'd struggle to put out our best 11 on the pitch and, as seen today, we struggle without Mata or Hazard starting. With that being said, Benitez doesn't give a flying **** about us, he just wants to win 2 cups and move on. Thank you Roman, you ef'd up our season by bringing in that fat ****.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by chigyy
X/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Chelsea thread! Looks like we finally have a new member.
Reply 268
Original post by The Assassin
Welcome to the Chelsea thread! Looks like we finally have a new member.

Glad to be here, hopefully the season ends on a high. I was really pissed off with our performance today.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by chigyy
Glad to be here, hopefully the season ends on a high. I was really pissed off with our performance today.

As others have said I'm still confident for the top 4 considering the circumstances at hand (game in hand, easier games). Benitez was... well.... being Benitez again with the lineup and subs he picked but nonetheless our players weren't that great either.
Reply 270
Original post by The Assassin
As others have said I'm still confident for the top 4 considering the circumstances at hand (game in hand, easier games). Benitez was... well.... being Benitez again with the lineup and subs he picked but nonetheless our players weren't that great either.

As I said before, Benitez doesn't give 2 ***** about where we end up. He just wants to win the two trophies we can and make himself look better, so that when he leaves this summer, he may get a half decent job.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nickini
Securing a top 4 finish should be the priority, we underestimated Southampton when we had no excuse to.

You should be telling this to our manager, I already know this, however Benitez just wants his CV improved, and could not care about Chelsea for next season as he won't be here.

Hazard should have started, or at least come on at half time. Ramires could have possibly started ahead of Lampard, I agree with what Tweek said earlier on Mikel and Lampard not making a particularly great partnership due to their combined lack of speed, with Ramires/Mikel subbed off for Lampard depending on the scoreline. Perhaps Ashley Cole in place of Bertrand as well (although I do agree with the decision to save Cole for United/Rubin).

Benayoun for Oscar was an odd decision, Oscar had been pretty anonymous, but him and Hazard work well together and Moses had been poor all game IMO, would rather had seen Benayoun on for Moses or ideally Ba on for Torres.

Hazard coming on at half time would've been ideal, but he came on shortly after so it's fine. We needed to rest Ramires, the two games that Benitez finds most important this week are the ones we need him in, so resting him today was a good move. I don't think we need to worry about partnerships in CDM, because we have Lampard, Mikel, Ramires and now David Luiz who can fill them roles, even Oscar plays there from time to time. Forming partnerships wouldn't be good for squad rotation. Bertrand starting was also a good move, we need Ashley Cole's experience if we're to stop the force of Man United.

Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Still have a game in hand over Tottenham though!

It's as I said, all hope is not lost yet. We're still in a very strong position to contend for top 4, a game in hand on Spurs and still ahead of Arsenal. We have the better fixture list, not to mention spurs also going to be in the Europa action midweek, tiring them for the weekend. This was the case when they drew with Fulham, they looked so tired that game whereas we were fresh for our comeback against United.

Have faith :biggrin:
Reply 272
You should be telling this to our manager, I already know this, however Benitez just wants his CV improved, and could not care about Chelsea for next season as he won't be here.
I wasn't telling you anything, just making a statement...

Hazard coming on at half time would've been ideal, but he came on shortly after so it's fine. We needed to rest Ramires, the two games that Benitez finds most important this week are the ones we need him in, so resting him today was a good move. I don't think we need to worry about partnerships in CDM, because we have Lampard, Mikel, Ramires and now David Luiz who can fill them roles, even Oscar plays there from time to time. Forming partnerships wouldn't be good for squad rotation. Bertrand starting was also a good move, we need Ashley Cole's experience if we're to stop the force of Man United.
We were 2-1 down at halftime and were clearly lacking any real spark going forward, but Benitez didn't make a substitution, Hazard didn't come on until the 60th minute. I didn't suggest forming partnerships... Merely that as others have said, Mikel and Lampard don't make a good partnership and that Ramires could have started (seeing as he played anyway) with a mind to be subbed off for Lampard unless we were in trouble. I agree with you on Bertrand starting though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 273
Original post by Nickini
I wasn't telling you anything, just making a statement...

We were 2-1 down at halftime and were clearly lacking any real spark going forward, but Benitez didn't make a substitution, Hazard didn't come on until the 60th minute. I didn't suggest forming partnerships... Merely that as others have said, Mikel and Lampard don't make a good partnership and that Ramires could have started (seeing as he played anyway) with a mind to be subbed off for Lampard unless we were in trouble. I agree with you on Bertrand starting though.

Benitez made too many changes, If mata wasn't playing then hazard should have played with frank being pushed further up playing in CAM and moses/marin on the right and Ba on top, but Benitez is an idiot and only cares about winning a trophy, but i think we could have got a draw or a win here because both of the goals we conceded were avoidable, cech is a top goalie and he should be saving the first goal and for the second goal the wall should have jumped.
Hope you do Utd tomorrow, because I haven't got a ticket for our game at yours and I'll be able to get one if they have to rearrange it..
Hoping for a convincing win today, the big players such as Ramires, Hazard and Mata were all rested at the weekend and hopefully will be fresh. The gym closes at 2 so I will miss the game as I'm leaving now, but hopefully I can look back on this thread when I get back hoping to see some cheers for our win :smile:
Good line-up.
Reply 277
Match discussion (before and during the game) into here please, guys. :ta:
Great win. Ba in particular played so well, you could see him gesturing to players to mark the opposition. Great team play and a lovely goal. Luiz as well was very disciplined, his long balls were pinpoint and showed good leadership at the back.
Reply 279
Original post by Isometrix
Great win. Ba in particular played so well, you could see him gesturing to players to mark the opposition. Great team play and a lovely goal. Luiz as well was very disciplined, his long balls were pinpoint and showed good leadership at the back.

Bertrand was poor though and Mata wasn't his usual clinical self.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest