The Student Room Group

Books like Eragon?

Hey everyone,

I got through the whole Inheritance cycle last year (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance) by Christopher Paolini and I really enjoyed it. Actually, I completely fell in love with it.

I have been looking for similar books but I can't seem to get my hands on something that is as epic, intriguing, complex, rich and well-written as this series.

If one of you guys has read these books and has found him/herself in this situation, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Reply 1
I personally found Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain richer and more enthralling than Eragon
Reply 2
I love the Inheritance Cycle too :smile:
I'm currently reading the series A Song of Ice and Fire (the first one is Game of Thrones) and I think they're pretty good. They have a similar sort of setting to Inheritance except its not really got much to do with magic, more about royalty, knights and battles. It is a little bit confusing at first because it switches between viewpoints of the different characters but you get used to it.
I'll warn you though, if you're pretty young or easily offended, it does swear a bit and some parts are pretty graphic.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
I didnt like Inheritence that much, liked maybe Eldest the best
Confused the hell out of me
Too many words for stuff :confused:
I'm rereading the Hobbit and the Song of Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones) series is pretty damn amazing
Like super adult Eragon :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Faisalobeidat
Hey everyone,

I got through the whole Inheritance cycle last year (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance) by Christopher Paolini and I really enjoyed it. Actually, I completely fell in love with it.

I have been looking for similar books but I can't seem to get my hands on something that is as epic, intriguing, complex, rich and well-written as this series.

If one of you guys has read these books and has found him/herself in this situation, could you point me in the right direction?

Definitely look into the Farseer Trilogy. As you can see, I clearly enjoyed the Inheritance Cycle! :biggrin: I completely fell in love with the Farseer story world, and it's characters. Brilliant books, and there are plenty of them! 4 different trilogies set in the same world (mostly different storylines/characters). :smile:
Could try the Kingkiller books, by Patrick Rothfuss.

Or the Magicians Guild series by Trudi Canavan.

Possibly the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, although that's more adult.

Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix is good too.

That's all I can think of, offhand.
A Song of Ice and Fire, as someone already said, is along the same sort of lines, except it's 50 million billion times better. Read it, read it now.
Reply 7
I can't recommend the Farseer Trilogy (Robin Hobb) enough, it is AMAZING

You might also like the Belgariad series (David Eddings), Magician (Raymond E. Feist), the Abhorsen trilogy (Garth Nix), His Dark Materials trilogy (Phillip Pullman), Graceling (Kristen Cashore) and books by Trudi Canavan

I would also suggest looking through the fantasy section in your library, you might see something that catches your eye! :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks so much everyone! I've started A Game of Thrones and I love it so far. I'll check out the other books you guys recommended once I get through the Song of Ice and Fire series. Thanks a lot!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by tiptoeboo
I can't recommend the Farseer Trilogy (Robin Hobb) enough, it is AMAZING

You might also like the Belgariad series (David Eddings), Magician (Raymond E. Feist), the Abhorsen trilogy (Garth Nix), His Dark Materials trilogy (Phillip Pullman), Graceling (Kristen Cashore) and books by Trudi Canavan

I would also suggest looking through the fantasy section in your library, you might see something that catches your eye! :smile:

does the far seer trilogyyyyfuydiusdfy have magic thingy ma bobs in it??
Reply 10
i reccomend reading incy wincy spider .................its a really coooooool book about a spider who is struggling to get up a water pipe until the weather is forever in its favour......................totally read it!!:colondollar:
Original post by Faisalobeidat
Hey everyone,

I have just finished the Farseer Trilogy and the one after that. They were amazing and I was really disappointed when I got to the end. The first time I tried to read the first book it took me a bit of getting into but after that I didn't stop reading them! I like David Gemmel books too, not sure if he has different series' but the one with Waylander in it. The Painted Man by David Brett is good and the Night Angel trilogy. The list is endless! So I'll stop now before I get carried away. :colondollar:

EDIT: I see I was beaten to it with the Farseer stuff. Rep for you guys for having good taste! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Beckyweck
I have just finished the Farseer Trilogy and the one after that. They were amazing and I was really disappointed when I got to the end. The first time I tried to read the first book it took me a bit of getting into but after that I didn't stop reading them! I like David Gemmel books too, not sure if he has different series' but the one with Waylander in it. The Painted Man by David Brett is good and the Night Angel trilogy. The list is endless! So I'll stop now before I get carried away. :colondollar:

EDIT: I see I was beaten to it with the Farseer stuff. Rep for you guys for having good taste! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 30% into the Assassins Apprentice and I'm struggling to get into it. I want to like this series though so I'm going to persist. How long until I get sucked in!?
Original post by Deshi
I'm 30% into the Assassins Apprentice and I'm struggling to get into it. I want to like this series though so I'm going to persist. How long until I get sucked in!?

Hmm well the first one is the least exciting in my opinion. The second series I couldn't put down. I had to regulate myself so that I didn't stay up all night and still have to go to work in the morning! What's happening where you're up to at the moment? I read the first one last year on holiday so I was sort of a captive audience because I had nothing else to read. I'm trying really hard to remember what happened in the middle of the first one because I can only really remember the last third or so, and that's a good part. Sorry if this is a hit vague. xD
Reply 14
Original post by Beckyweck
Hmm well the first one is the least exciting in my opinion. The second series I couldn't put down. I had to regulate myself so that I didn't stay up all night and still have to go to work in the morning! What's happening where you're up to at the moment? I read the first one last year on holiday so I was sort of a captive audience because I had nothing else to read. I'm trying really hard to remember what happened in the middle of the first one because I can only really remember the last third or so, and that's a good part. Sorry if this is a hit vague. xD

Spoiler

Original post by Deshi

Spoiler

I don't want to spoil it for you but it does pick up. I think it's around that time where the main story starts.
I had a quick scout through the chapters but without reading it again I can't remember exactly what happened and I can't do that fast enough to tell you now haha.

Persevere. If by the end (and the ends of these books have massive climaxes that make you want to instantly start reading the next one haha!) you still don't feel into it, perhaps it's not for you. :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try the Ranger's Apprentice

Reply 17
Maybe Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn? It's a feudal Japanese fantasy, but it's not so far removed from traditional Western fantasy (although it's much, much better than the Inheritance cycle).

Quick Reply