The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite British politician and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's embarrassing how many people like Boris just because he's "funny". Truly a testament to how easy it is to manipulate the British electorate...
Aneurin Bevan, purely because he was the architect of the NHS.
Original post by Democracy
Wants to reintroduce capital punishment in a 21st century democracy? ****ing mentalist.

I'm not particularly bothered one way or the other about that, but aside from that she certainly gave Cameron and his brand of "Tory modernisation" a fright, which is a plus in my books.
Margaret Thatcher 'cause screwing up the country was a right laugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heythere247
I don't think it's down to looks as to why people don't like him, it's more down to his outdated policies.

I'm aware that most people think old is bad, but this does not detract from the viability of his policies one iota.
Boris Johnson - he makes me laugh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Nigel Farage. Only politician now who seems to have principles and a backbone.

He has nothing of the sort. He's a slime ball.

I quite like Vince Cable.
Reply 27
Original post by KirstBarlow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the country was in great shape before she came to office.... :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Molly_xox
Boris Johnson - he makes me laugh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

BJ has the best personality, but is just about worthy to be called a politician.
Original post by Tabzqt
It's embarrassing how many people like Boris just because he's "funny". Truly a testament to how easy it is to manipulate the British electorate...

I might have a deviant, abnormal sense of humour as I have never found this man amusing, nor did I get his political appeal.
Clegg's really rather good. I'm not saying Miliband as we have not seen enough of him yet.
Gordon Brown as he happens to share my race.

Glory to the Horde! :mob:
Reply 32
Original post by daemonium
Nigel Farage. He is in the UKIP party and I fully support UKIP. He wants to buy us out of the EU and ban immigration for 5 years, who wouldn't want that?

the EU is good, so much of our trade goes to the EU
Reply 33
If British MEPs are taken into account then Sir Graham Watson MEP.

Vince Cable: Speaks sense.

Historically: The welsh wizard (DLG) and Nye Bevan who established the NHS,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Not sure out of the current lot. Historically, Disraeli and Lloyd George. I think perhaps Clegg is given more stick than he deserves, but I'm not sure I would go so far as to call him my favourite.
(edited 11 years ago)
1. Tony Blair
2. Alastair Darling
3. David Miliband
4. Vince Cable
Reply 36
Original post by KirstBarlow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wrong.
Reply 37
Original post by MagicNMedicine
1. Tony Blair
2. Alastair Darling
3. David Miliband
4. Vince Cable

Why Tony Blair?
Reply 38
Iain Duncan Smith I think. Excellent speaker, proud to have him representing our country to foreign powers and I like his political stance and history in the party.

I like Boris... He's very right wing and manages to relate to people despite his elite background. I don't think I could give him my vote in a leadership contest though. I couldn't see him representing the country; he's far too bumbling and eccentric.

Theresa May is also excellent and if she ever ran for leader of the Tories she would definitely have my vote. And I like Michael Gove too. Good stance on education and good representative for the party.

Edit;;
I completely forgot Daniel Hannan. He has solid political values, is one of the best speakers I've ever heard and I love reading his Telegraph Blog. He's a strong right wing force in the Conservative party despite 'only' being an MEP. I don't entirely agree with his Eurosceptic views but he's holding the EU to account from inside the European Parliament - definitely my favourite politician.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Rory Stewart. Very clever, excellent speaker, well read, interesting life behind him, seems to have a genuine interest in his local area and the modern Conservative Party.

While we're at it, David Cameron is shockingly underrated. He's been pretty bloody impressive - implementing radical change to the Tory Party in opposition, taking charge of a government in the worst economic climate imaginable, having to build a strong government with a hung parliament, balancing the divergent needs of the various factions (and the Lib Dems too), focused on a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff like international trade - all while dealing extraordinarily well with events (Libya, the EU, Scottish nationalism etc).

If I had to choose from the opposition benches it's difficult not to admire the great motive forces behind New Labour like Blair, Campbell and Mandelson. If I had to try to find a more balanced soul, however, I'd go for Shadow Foreign Secretary Douglas Alexander. Did a lot of good work in international development when he was in government, seems to get the job done, doesn't go off spouting ludicrous crap.

Original post by fayemx
Michael Gove. said no one. ever.

I think Michael Gove is utterly excellent. Excellent politics, hard working, minimal bull-**** and decent to chat to. I'd consider him prime ministerial material if he had a bit more... presence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending