The Student Room Group

Tragus piercing..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have my tragus pierced and it wasn't painful, some people say they hear a 'crunch' when the needle goes through but I think that's rubbish. Healing can be difficult and painful and it still hurts sometimes when I wear earphones (and I have a stud, it was done 4 years ago). And I don't think it's too common at all!
Reply 21
Original post by purplesmurf
Yeah I know that I have a reputatble local place I've been to before. It's £25 there and they numb it but if you want a gem on the from of the bar it's an extra £5(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reeeeeeeally shouldn't be numbing anything.
Reply 22
Original post by Trigger
Reeeeeeeally shouldn't be numbing anything.

Yeah? How come? Tbh tho, I think they feel just a bad wether you numb them or not.. I didn't get my septum numbed cos obv they can't and it hurt really and, and I did get my belly numbed but it still hurt just as much as I anticipated it would..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Yeah? How come? Tbh tho, I think they feel just a bad wether you numb them or not.. I didn't get my septum numbed cos obv they can't and it hurt really and, and I did get my belly numbed but it still hurt just as much as I anticipated it would..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well for a start it doesn't do anything but numb the first few layers of flesh, if you wanted it totally numb they would have to use a local which means injecting you with a needle anyway. Secondly the numbing sprays, if used incorrectly, will give you frostbite and leave you with a lovely red scar around your piercing forever which will look really nice if you decide to retire it. Anyone offering it is offering you a lie and i don't think that is good piercing practice.
Reply 24
Original post by Trigger
Well for a start it doesn't do anything but numb the first few layers of flesh, if you wanted it totally numb they would have to use a local which means injecting you with a needle anyway. Secondly the numbing sprays, if used incorrectly, will give you frostbite and leave you with a lovely red scar around your piercing forever which will look really nice if you decide to retire it. Anyone offering it is offering you a lie and i don't think that is good piercing practice.

Ah fair enough. Thanks for the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I been thinkin about getting a tragus piercing, I was just wondering what peoples experiences have been, and how people would rate the pain-compared to other piercings?(I have belly, septum and 2 sets of lobe piercings) and also if you remember how much you roughly paid?cos I know some places rip you off so It'd be nice to hav some rough idea of average price :smile:

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had it done a few years ago. It cost £25
It hurt a little bit. I didn't feel the needle go through but she was messing with it when screwing on the ball which made it hurt a bit. It healed within 2-3 months fully. It got a tiny keloid next to it put I started putting tea tree oil on it and that dissapeared.

I've stopped wearing my tragus piercing lately. My ear looks cluttered!:colondollar:
Original post by Trigger

Just out of interest, would local anaesthetic cream have a similarly negative effect?

(I love cartiledge piercings but I am a total wuss, so I tend to read these thigns with interest!).
Reply 27
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Just out of interest, would local anaesthetic cream have a similarly negative effect?

(I love cartiledge piercings but I am a total wuss, so I tend to read these thigns with interest!).

EMLA cream and the like make the skin have a funny texture so it would be more difficult to mark up, so more difficult to pierce in the right place. It also has to be left on for about an hour or so, which means you'd need to travel to the piercing studio with a layer of cling film and cream on your ear and look like a muppet on public transport.

If yu go to a good piercer and get it done with a needle it will be over quickly and therefore won't hurt too much.
Reply 28
My tragus was one of my least painful piercings, along with my rook, and they both healed well and have never bothered me unlike my helix piercing which I've had done for 2 and a half years and it's constantly getting infected and sore. I've got my nose, belly button, rook, tragus, helix and lobes pierced along with two hip microdermals and I would definitely have the tragus again if I had to. Uncomfortable and seems to take a while to pierce because the cartilage is so thick but not sore. Mine cost me around £25 with a BCR.
Reply 29
Original post by c3rys
My tragus was one of my least painful piercings, along with my rook, and they both healed well and have never bothered me unlike my helix piercing which I've had done for 2 and a half years and it's constantly getting infected and sore. I've got my nose, belly button, rook, tragus, helix and lobes pierced along with two hip microdermals and I would definitely have the tragus again if I had to. Uncomfortable and seems to take a while to pierce because the cartilage is so thick but not sore. Mine cost me around £25 with a BCR.

Thank you. I was contemplating standard helix too..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
EMLA cream and the like make the skin have a funny texture so it would be more difficult to mark up, so more difficult to pierce in the right place. It also has to be left on for about an hour or so, which means you'd need to travel to the piercing studio with a layer of cling film and cream on your ear and look like a muppet on public transport.

If yu go to a good piercer and get it done with a needle it will be over quickly and therefore won't hurt too much.

Thanks for this. I'm sure it's not all that painful but I tend to be quite put off things that hurt (like I say - wuss!). So I'm sure one day, if/when I want a piercing enough, I'll get over it :smile:
Reply 31
This is my daith i got thurs, on the pain scale, was pretty tame, might be wroth considering that but essentially all piercings hurt, you can't escape that. http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/526570_10151345034715811_1831309811_n.jpg
Original post by Trigger
This is my daith i got thurs, on the pain scale, was pretty tame, might be wroth considering that but essentially all piercings hurt, you can't escape that. http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/526570_10151345034715811_1831309811_n.jpg

Interesting - it's actually a Daith heart I was considering! Looks lovely on you!
Reply 33
Interesting - it's actually a Daith heart I was considering! Looks lovely on you!

Thanks! Was sharp pain for a minute or so then nothing. Really simple.
Reply 34

You wouldn't really be able to numb a daith with cream anyway. Getting it in the right place without any going down your ear canal - even with help - would be impossible!

So even if getting a piercing with numbing cream was ok, it wouldn't work for your piercing.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 35
Thanks for this. I'm sure it's not all that painful but I tend to be quite put off things that hurt (like I say - wuss!). So I'm sure one day, if/when I want a piercing enough, I'll get over it :smile:

Tbh I think I'll just have to realised they are gonna hurt but then it's gonna be over and pretty. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
You wouldn't really be able to numb a daith with cream anyway. Getting it in the right place without any going down your ear canal - even with help - would be impossible!

So even if getting a piercing with numbing cream was ok, it wouldn't work for your piercing.

Sent from my GT-S5363

Original post by Trigger
Thanks! Was sharp pain for a minute or so then nothing. Really simple.

Thanks for your help ladies (PRSOM Trigger - I probably thumbs-upped you bitchslapping somebody elsewhere) - as and when I get over my wimpiness and just get it done, I promise you'll be the first to know :wink:
Reply 37
Thanks for your help ladies (PRSOM Trigger - I probably thumbs-upped you bitchslapping somebody elsewhere) - as and when I get over my wimpiness and just get it done, I promise you'll be the first to know :wink:

Good girl :biggrin:
Reply 38
&how long before you can change it ect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
&how long before you can change it ect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it needs to heal etc, depending on how your body is, could be a few months, could be a year.

Quick Reply

Latest