The Student Room Group

The Riddling thread of fiendishly cunning riddles

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Hippysnake
You come to a fork in the road. One path leads to the village of the truth tellers and the other, the village of compulsive liars. You aspire to reach the village of truth tellers by sundown and daylight is dwindling, so you can only explore one of the possible routes.

A man is standing at the fork. You are certain that he belongs to one of the two villages, but you cannot discern which. What single question can you ask to ensure you take the correct path?

Do the liars always lie? If so, I'll ask "are you alive" or "can you talk" - the liar will lie, the truthteller will tell the truth and then I'll follow him home? :s-smilie:
You come to a fork in the road. One path leads to the village of the truth tellers and the other, the village of compulsive liars. You aspire to reach the village of truth tellers by sundown and daylight is dwindling, so you can only explore one of the possible routes.

A man is standing at the fork. You are certain that he belongs to one of the two villages, but you cannot discern which. What single question can you ask to ensure you take the correct path?

"Are you a man?"

ask what answer you would get if you asked someone from the other village which road led to the truthful village. Then go down the other road.

EDIT: Actually it'd be simpler to ask which road they came from. The liar will say they came from the truthful road, the honest one also says they came from the honest road.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by incipientT
ask what answer you would get if you asked someone from the other village which road led to the truthful village. Then go down the other road.

EDIT: Actually it'd be simpler to ask which road they came from. The liar will say they came from the truthful road, the honest one also says they came from the honest road.

Yup! Simply ask them to point to the road they took, and then take it!
Reply 544
Three men board a ship. A week into there journey, they sail into a storm and lose all of their rations and supplies. Their engine fails and the boat is horribly damaged.

A month later, the ship wreck washes ashore on a popular holiday beach resort. Two men get off and run for the nearest cafe. They both order an albatross burger. The first man takes a bite and an overwhelming feeling of relief washes over him. The second man takes a bite and begins crying uncontrollably.

What happened?

Did they kill and eat the third guy?
Reply 545
A box without hinges, key or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid :wink:
egg
Fairly easy one but here goes. A man witnesses an explosion a mere 2 metres away from him. The blast instantly kills everyone within a 10 metre radius but the man escapes completely unscathed. How?
Reply 548
Original post by coconut2456
Fairly easy one but here goes. A man witnesses an explosion a mere 2 metres away from him. The blast instantly kills everyone within a 10 metre radius but the man escapes completely unscathed. How?

He was watching TV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coconut2456

He saw a recording of the blast?
Original post by elldoig
He was watching TV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He saw a recording of the blast?

Yup
Maybe because the further from town you go the further they have to walk and the more tired they get and the slower they paint?

Original post by MrFlash1994
Or they run out of paint and have to get more!

Yes..thats close specia,lly the latter answer.:biggrin:
The answer is that they didn't take their paint buckets etc with them. They had to go back for more paint :smile: hahaha loool
When you went into the woods you got me.
You hated me yet you wanted to find me.
You went home with me cause you couldn't find me

What was I?
Three men board a ship. A week into there journey, they sail into a storm and lose all of their rations and supplies. Their engine fails and the boat is horribly damaged.

A month later, the ship wreck washes ashore on a popular holiday beach resort. Two men get off and run for the nearest cafe. They both order an albatross burger. The first man takes a bite and an overwhelming feeling of relief washes over him. The second man takes a bite and begins crying uncontrollably.

What happened?

for some reason one of them ate an albatross and the other ate their shipmate but they did not know which they had eaten
Reply 554
When you went into the woods you got me.
You hated me yet you wanted to find me.
You went home with me cause you couldn't find me

What was I?

A splinter!

Mine: I have columns but cannot stand. I have Eigen but cannot see. I can be discriminated and I will never care. What am I?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Krollo
A splinter!

Mine: I have columns but cannot stand. I have Eigen but cannot see. I can be discriminated and I will never care. What am I?

matrix_style_by_he4rty-d39qszq.jpg
Reply 556
Original post by the bear
matrix_style_by_he4rty-d39qszq.jpg

Well said.

Original post by Krollo
A splinter!

:yep:
Spreadsheet?
Ok, another.

I never was, but always will be.
You will never see me, and I will never see thee
Yet everyone alive on earth believes in me
This riddle is really easy by the way.

Quick Reply

Latest