The Student Room Group

Shielding effect

Hello,

I would like to enquire about the factors that affect shielding effect.

In the GCE A-level textbook, it is written that shielding effect increases if the inner filled electrons increase. What I am confused is that whether the shielding effect increases if the electrons in inner filled SUBshell increases.
What exam board are you doing, and which text book? :smile:
Basically, the more filled any shell is, the more shielding there is from the nucleus.... As the shells fill in a specific order, the shielding will increase with electrons.

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/index.php?title=Physical_Chemistry/Quantum_Mechanics/Quantum_Theory/Trapped_Particles/Atoms/Multi-Electron_Atoms/Penetration_%26_Shielding/Penetration_and_Shielding
Original post by michaelting90
Hello,

I would like to enquire about the factors that affect shielding effect.

In the GCE A-level textbook, it is written that shielding effect increases if the inner filled electrons increase. What I am confused is that whether the shielding effect increases if the electrons in inner filled SUBshell increases.

It is primarily the electrons in orbitals closer to the nucleus than the orbital in question which affects the shielding seen by the electron. More important when considering adding more electrons to an orbital is the electron-electron repulsion within the orbital.

Quick Reply

Latest