The Student Room Group

Weird thing about driving licences - does your name start with a title? Poll

Poll

What does it say

Me and a friend noticed that my driving licence says "Miss Emily X" whereas his just says "Steve X". I thought it's weird that I have a title and he doesn't - maybe it's a male/female thing?

So what does yours say, TSR?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't you mean forename? And mine has no title, did your friend put 'Miss Emily' on her documents? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
1 + 2 are just my surname and first name. No title. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Mockery
Don't you mean forename? And mine has no title, did your friend put 'Miss Emily' on her documents? :s-smilie:

sorry I meant by (surname) my surname goes here. i just didn't want to put it on tsr.

Interesting that guys so far don't have it. I want females to reply now to see if I'm the odd one out or not!
Just my full name!
No title on mine.

Might be useful, received mine (26/10/2012)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Well, I have Mr on mine.
I've got "Miss" on mine.
When did people receive theirs? Maybe title's were dropped after a certain date?
I'm fairly sure you'll only ever get a title if you're either female, or have an honorific title like 'Dr', 'Lord', etc (applies to men and women). I think (having seen this before) you can request an untitled license if you're female, or just leave the title field blank, if you want.

I believe this has always been the case. You won't find anyone with 'Mr' on a UK license (unless requested, or a glitch) according to the DVLA.
(edited 11 years ago)
No title I'm afraid, I just got my license this month.

Original post by russellsteapot
I'm fairly sure you'll only ever get a title if you're either female, or have an honorific title like 'Dr', 'Lord', etc (applies to men and women). I think (having seen this before) you can request an untitled license if you're female, or just leave the title field blank, if you want.

I believe this has always been the case. You won't find anyone with 'Mr' on a UK license (unless requested, or a glitch) according to the DVLA.

Why is this?
(edited 11 years ago)
I have Miss on mine. I quite like it - I don't want to be a Ms. I'll be a Ms if I turn 30 unmarried or if I ever get divorced
Mine is a Northern Ireland license so I thought it would be different but no, it has 'Miss'.
Reply 14
Mine doesn't even have a title, just my forename, middle name and surname.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine has:

Surname
Miss First Name middle name

But I did only get mine end of January, so it is the newest license

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I think mine says "Mrs"....not too sure as it's expired and I need to send it back, but cant find it :tongue:.Dont worry I cant drive so I dont use it.
Original post by Ice Constricter
Why is this?

I found a Freedom of Information request here which won't say specifically why but suggests it might just be a historical oddity.

Can't think of any reasons why it'd be like that in the first place, it's probably been like it for so long that nobody at the DVLA knows why either.
Original post by russellsteapot
I found a Freedom of Information request here which won't say specifically why but suggests it might just be a historical oddity.

Can't think of any reasons why it'd be like that in the first place, it's probably been like it for so long that nobody at the DVLA knows why either.

My provisional says miss and I got it 2 years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending