The Student Room Group

Changing course query

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on TSR and unfortunately I need some help.

I have currently applied for a course in industrial design BA at uni however I decided a while back that I was going to change to product design bsc. I was just going to call the uni and ask if I could change - I'm quite sure that they will have no problems with this as the grade entries are identical, the courses are very similar but PD requires a maths A2-level (which I will have).

My problem is that recently I discovered a whole new form of engineering at the same uni called product design engineering which is very appealing to me. Once again the grades are the same (I need maths at a B level but I should be able to reach that) but I'm not sure if I can switch. It is now way past the 7-day cooling period and I'd really like some advice as to what to do.

If I ask to switch and they say no is my position in industrial design gone?

If they say yes what will happen?

Should I notify my other uni?

I would appreciate any help anyone could offer. Thanks.
Reply 1
If you're swapping at the same uni the 7 day period doesn't matter. They also shouldn't have to remove your existing offer to consider you for the new course. If they agree, they just swap it on UCAS and everything is fine.

You don't need to notify your other uni unless you also want to change course there.
Reply 2
Thanks that helps but after talking with my parents I have thought up another problem. If I do ask to switch what if the entry grades require higher than a B in maths (even though it says a B I know they can offer higher)? Is that likely to happen? Also will I have to explain to them why I want to switch?

And is it safer choice just leave the choices for now get my A-level results and then call the uni asking to switch when I know what I have? Or are they more likely just to say no?
Reply 3
Original post by Chris030111
Thanks that helps but after talking with my parents I have thought up another problem. If I do ask to switch what if the entry grades require higher than a B in maths (even though it says a B I know they can offer higher)? Is that likely to happen? Also will I have to explain to them why I want to switch?

And is it safer choice just leave the choices for now get my A-level results and then call the uni asking to switch when I know what I have? Or are they more likely just to say no?

Nobody here can say how likely it is that the uni will make you a higher offer.

You will have to explain why you want to switch. If you're phoning them to ask they may ask questions over the phone, or may ask you to email them with reasons. You can't send a new personal statement via UCAS but could email them one.

If you lave it then you risk them having no space on the course. So if you leave it you need to be happy with the course you currently have an offer for. If they say no now you have other options - you could apply to another course in Extra if you wanted, or could enter Clearing straight away. You can ask the uni to release you into Clearing after you have your results but if you do they won't do it straight away and it could take up to 2 weeks to sort, by which time the good places will be gone.
Reply 4
I recently switched from Biomed to History. I had to submit a new personal statement but it was no hassle at all - I didn't even really have to explain why I wanted to change! Mine was before I chose my firm and insurance though but I don't imagine it would be much worse. I e-mailed them.
Reply 5
Thanks, this was very helpful. I'll probably play it safe, wait for my results and then ask for a change. If there are any free spaces then I should get one (as I am already in the uni) and if not I'll just switch to product design when I get to the uni (as it is in the same department as industrial design so there should be no probs).
Reply 6
Thanks, this was very helpful. I'll probably play it safe, wait for my results and then ask for a change. If there are any free spaces then I should get one (as I am already in the uni) and if not I'll just switch to product design when I get to the uni (as it is in the same department as industrial design so there should be no probs).

No course change is guaranteed. Even though product design is in the same department you still may not be able to transfer. Only go to that uni if you're happy to do the course you actually have an offer for.
Reply 7

Definitely think you should email them just to ask though, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending