The Student Room Group

Not driving after passing your test

It's been nearly 15 months since I passed my test but I've never driven since or had insurance. Will I still be able to keep my full license if I decide a few months from now to get a car?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Chadya
It's been nearly 15 months since I passed my test but I've never driven since or had insurance. Will I still be able to keep my full license if I decide a few months from now to get a car?

Of course! Your driving licence is valid for something like 65 years or so
Reply 2
Original post by Nice.Guy
Of course! Your driving licence is valid for something like 65 years or so

The licence, at least, the card part, is valid for 10 years. Is it automatically renewed?

There are no mileage requirements to retain a licence though, so you could not drive for quite a while and then insure yourself - It would be advisable to take some refresher lessons (a lot of people have been recommending the AA school for this) just so that you can get your eye in. I feel rusty after not driving for a few weeks or months, and I have been driving for several years.
Reply 3
Original post by SillyEddy
The licence, at least, the card part, is valid for 10 years. Is it automatically renewed?

There are no mileage requirements to retain a licence though, so you could not drive for quite a while and then insure yourself - It would be advisable to take some refresher lessons (a lot of people have been recommending the AA school for this) just so that you can get your eye in. I feel rusty after not driving for a few weeks or months, and I have been driving for several years.

It's not automatically renewed, you need to do this yourself, it expires every 10 years because you need to update your photo on the card.
Reply 4
Original post by SillyEddy

Sorry my bad! You do have to renew it every 10 years to update the photo. I'm sure something lasts for at least 50 years or so! Provisional maybe??
My provisional had a 10 year limit on it. It's still got a photo after all and people use it for ID. Maybe the paper part of your licence lasts for longer, or the old style licences
Reply 6
I haven't driven for 3 years now. But it will be legal (though perhaps not safe) for me to go back on the road whenever I want. I would advise getting refresher lessons OP, that's what I plan on doing :smile:
Original post by Traynor1987
It's not automatically renewed, you need to do this yourself, it expires every 10 years because you need to update your photo on the card.

I agree.
You get to keep your full licence though.
The only way you would loose your licence is if end up loosing it though committing driving offences.
Or medical exemptions
Reply 9
Why would you get a license if you aren't going to drive?
Original post by Stroma

Because the longer you have held your license, the cheaper your insurance. Right now, having held my license for nearly 2 year and not driven at all, I could insure a car for about half what it would cost if I had just got my license. By the time I leave Uni and can afford a car, it should be cheap as chips. It's also a lot easier to do when you live at home and have access to parents' cars, saves a lot of money on lessons.
Reply 11
Original post by ily_em
I haven't driven for 3 years now. But it will be legal (though perhaps not safe) for me to go back on the road whenever I want. I would advise getting refresher lessons OP, that's what I plan on doing :smile:

why havent you been driving?i also have not being driving for 7 months and ot is stressing me out!the family car we have is too big for me and i need to get to exams next month and im stressing lol life!
Reply 12
Original post by gorjus
why havent you been driving?i also have not being driving for 7 months and ot is stressing me out!the family car we have is too big for me and i need to get to exams next month and im stressing lol life!

I did my lessons because I had the time and had found a cheap instructor. I didn't want to have to spend time learning later when I could just do it then. I haven't been driving because I can't justify the cost of having a car and insurance. I am only home from uni in the holidays and I cycle places instead :smile: also mum doesn't want me on her insurance. That would also cost a lot anyway.

Don't panic you will be fine!
Original post by Stroma

Why would you not? Much easier to pass when your young than doing it when you can afford a car
you're fine with the license but just make sure you get some practice from time to time.

for example i usually move my parents cars around/park it for them just so i don't lose complete touch.
Original post by Stroma

It's called planning ahead, some people may plan to drive in the future and the longer you've held your license the cheaper insurance and all that jazz will be.
Original post by Stroma

Because when I graduate uni I won't have the time or money to learn to drive, so I was able to do it while living at home in sixth form. I'll probably drive in the summer holidays, but as I won't have for nearly six months I'll go out with my mum a few times.
Reply 17
I passed my test when i was 18, and 2 years later(now) I actually got a car and drove for the first time! - It does take a while to get used to it again but after driving around your local area for a bit it slowly comes back to you! (Had to go around with my mum and make sure i avoided huge roundabouts though!)
Reply 18
I haven't driven for 4 years since I passed my test! Didn't feel I needed I car till now for work purposes, as I just recently or a job outside London and having a car would cut my journey into work by half...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Stroma

I wanted a driving license as certain jobs that I was applying for needed me to have a full UK driving license. After I passed though, I just haven't yet had the need for a car and don't want to pay insurance, tax, MOT and petrol/diesel if I can avoid it.

Quick Reply

Latest