The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mess.
Was nobody else a bit uncomfortable with the resolution?

1) Everyone's souls are uploaded into the cloud.
2) Their bodies for all intents and purposes are dead.
3) They will be buried and decomposing.
4) When they are downloaded back to their bodies they will wake up underground and **** knows if they were cremated.
5) Therefore the Doctor has essentially just sent thousand of people to horrifically slow 're-deaths' and/or created zombies :lolwut:

I think that the bodies 'died' after 24 hours, and then when they were downloaded from the cloud, if their body was dead, then their 'souls'/minds died, and only people who were uploaded in the last 24 hours went back into their bodies. As in the bit with that guy talking at the start, we said something about there being 24 hours.

Original post by Mess.
I am very bored of 'hacking' scenes in the media in general. Watching a character randomly bash keys very quickly is not my idea of fun.

I agree

I don't get why they decided to give Clara an internet skills package? I can see why the GI would want clever minds, but I don't see why it would want clever minds with computer skills?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mamataj
Hi everyone,

So I'm really curious, I've been watching the 2005 series from the start again and have reached the Doctor and Martha's stage. Is it just me or does anyone else not like her? I think it's more Freema Agyeman than the actual character of Martha Jones but she ruined it for me, I hated her.

Thoughts?

The thing I disliked about Martha, and most of the New Who assistants is the fact that they all seem to fall in love with him. This is why I was so fond of Donna - she had none of that "unrequited love for the Doctor" crap and just got on with it.

Having said that, my absolute favourite series finale has to be Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords.
Original post by snowyowl
The thing I disliked about Martha, and most of the New Who assistants is the fact that they all seem to fall in love with him. This is why I was so fond of Donna - she had none of that "unrequited love for the Doctor" crap and just got on with it.

Having said that, my absolute favourite series finale has to be Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords.

I know but think about it, realistically, a hot guy with a space ship turns up on your door step telling you he can show you the whole of space and time, you'd deffo fancy him at least. Rose it wasn't unrequited, Martha like a crush, Donna was just a friend and Amy just wanted to get him into bed, river was married to him, although I see what you're saying I think all the assistants had a very different relationship with the doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
Original post by rmhumphries
I don't get why they decided to give Clara an internet skills package? I can see why the GI would want clever minds, but I don't see why it would want clever minds with computer skills?

I think it was that everyone uploaded shares the collective hive 'memory' when integrated rather than them deciding specifically to give her computer skills. Bear in mind too, they weren't expecting her upload to be reversed :tongue:
Reply 144
Original post by Hopple
I think it was that everyone uploaded shares the collective hive 'memory' when integrated rather than them deciding specifically to give her computer skills. Bear in mind too, they weren't expecting her upload to be reversed :tongue:

They said to splice her a computer package or something.
Original post by Mr.Messy

Written by Amelia Williams. :h:

More interested in the dialogue during that though..

Clara - What chapter are you on?
Kid - 10
Clara - 11 is the best. You'll cry your eyes out.

Foreshadowing? I worry for 11 now. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

From the BBC DW FB page: "Looks familiar... 'Summer Falls' by Amelia Williams will be released this Thursday. More info soon."
Original post by Abbieastoria
I know but think about it, realistically, a hot guy with a space ship turns up on your door step telling you he can show you the whole of space and time, you'd deffo fancy him at least. Rose it wasn't unrequited, Martha like a crush, Donna was just a friend and Amy just wanted to get him into bed, river was married to him, although I see what you're saying I think all the assistants had a very different relationship with the doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really think Matt Smith can be described as "hot", but point taken.

The thing is, do we really need to see EVERY assistant fancy him and fall in love with him? It's just boring now.
Reply 147
Original post by Mess.
They said to splice her a computer package or something.

Oh, right. I suppose collectively they need computer skills to hack more wi-fis? XD
Reply 148

The thing is, do we really need to see EVERY assistant fancy him and fall in love with him? It's just boring now.

Even though I am more than happy with the last two companions due to the extreme eye candy, the series could probably do with a male one as a full time companion and absolutely zero women taking one of the two lead roles. Obviously this won't happen as the BBC would be accused of being polictically incorrect, sexist and/or the embodiment of evil but the 'bromance' genre is pretty huge right now and it could really switch up the dynamic.

The things I would do to matt smith... Just sayin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mess.
Even though I am more than happy with the last two companions due to the extreme eye candy, the series could probably do with a male one as a full time companion and absolutely zero women taking one of the two lead roles. Obviously this won't happen as the BBC would be accused of being polictically incorrect, sexist and/or the embodiment of evil but the 'bromance' genre is pretty huge right now and it could really switch up the dynamic.

There's also the possibility of having more than one companion. I know Amy and Rory travelled together, but they were married to one another. In the past there were often several companions, not necessarily connected to one another, and not necessarily human. It made for more interesting dynamics between the Doctor and the companions, and it was less predictable. You could have a male companion picked up from another planet travelling with the Doctor and Clara, giving the show a bromance element without needing to get rid of Clara altogether and avoiding accusations of sexism etc...
Reply 151
Original post by Feefifofum
There's also the possibility of having more than one companion. I know Amy and Rory travelled together, but they were married to one another. In the past there were often several companions, not necessarily connected to one another, and not necessarily human. It made for more interesting dynamics between the Doctor and the companions, and it was less predictable. You could have a male companion picked up from another planet travelling with the Doctor and Clara, giving the show a bromance element without needing to get rid of Clara altogether and avoiding accusations of sexism etc...

I think that would probably be a good idea and tbph you could just get rid of a specific companion for the series, just have guest characters who appear on a semi-regular basis. Having a specific companion normally means you have to make them a bit special to make them worthwhile characters, as opposed to just being a reference of normality for the viewer.

Davros's reality bomb was better. Tho thats mainly because it featured Davros rather than because of any of the Doctors dull little friends.

I'm not sure how this new girl is really going to be different from the others in as much as they are from each other. She's similar to Amy but single and with computer skills. They need to start re working the formula or it's all gonna seem repetitive.
Original post by Mess.

I agree about the eye candy :biggrin: but seriously... Doctor Who should be about more than pretty ladies. I'd love to see the Doctor have a male assistant, who isn't infatuated with the Doctor and isn't just there for viewers to drool over.
I just realised something.
I WANT A QUADRACYCLE! Also, a TARDIS. =)
Oh, and an anti-grav bike and a fez!

These are all cool. =)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 155
The way the Doctor was sniffing the Jammy Dodgers xD
last nights episode was awesome :biggrin: can't wait for next weeks!

Spoiler

Reply 157
Some people have been saying about how...

Spoiler

Also, I remember me stupidly claiming that the Spoonheads were in fact Zygons, because I thought they looked quite spoony. My rumour is obviously not true now, so I feel like an idiot.

That is all.
Original post by SciFiRory
last nights episode was awesome :biggrin: can't wait for next weeks!

Spoiler

Yeah, I noticed that too.
Thing is with The Doctor's assistants, they ALWAYS seem to miss something important.

Ok, so, what we know so far;

Clara is 24
She knew nothing about computers until the last episode
She has died twice and has lived through 3 lives
She is impossible
She likes coffee
On both occasions she has met the Doctor, she has died
She likes Souflets (however you spell it)
She is bisexual (or at least bi-curious going by her future self)

Can't think of anything else (what can we make from this)?
Original post by Mess.

Yeah this would be awesome... I've wanted a male companion for a while now though I do love Clara :L

Quick Reply

Latest