The Student Room Group

How does everyone feel about Michael Gove's A-level reform policy?

Gove's A-levels reform I'm sure has raised a lot of issues amongst students across the country. Firstly, the scrapping of the January retakes, now bringing back O-levels, as it is rumoured. By saying they're making exams harder because the pass rate is rising is ridiculous, it's undermining an individuals abilities and hardwork. I just want to know how people, especially students feel about these current changes. There isn't much of a "controversy" about any of this. I feel students protest all the time, but the government has a stern approach towards it and everything said is not taken into consideration.

More on the Ofqual research report can be read here: http://www2.ofqual.gov.uk/files/2012-06-18-a-level-reform-consultation.pdf

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Michael Gove is known in our house as "he who shall not be named". He has 2 children. What DOES he think he is doing. By returning our education system to his rose coloured view of how it was in the 1950s and 60s he is trashing years of teacher development and is returning eduation to the dark ages. In the 1970s- the age of enlightenment, experimental education was the result of what had gone before. With the Plowden and Newsome reports, lots of money was given to change the system from the rote learning of the previous era.
I hope that someone sees sense and replaces he who shall not be named and the head of OFSTED with right, balanced thinking individuals who care about the future of education and therefore our country.
Reply 2
Original post by CRIKEY12
Michael Gove is known in our house as "he who shall not be named". He has 2 children. What DOES he think he is doing. By returning our education system to his rose coloured view of how it was in the 1950s and 60s he is trashing years of teacher development and is returning eduation to the dark ages. In the 1970s- the age of enlightenment, experimental education was the result of what had gone before. With the Plowden and Newsome reports, lots of money was given to change the system from the rote learning of the previous era.
I hope that someone sees sense and replaces he who shall not be named and the head of OFSTED with right, balanced thinking individuals who care about the future of education and therefore our country.

I completely agree, reading some of the stuff he's said, I was laughing in disbelief. Does he not want students to even have the bare minimum of secondary education? The way he's doing this, it isn't going to "weed out" the "good" students from the "bad", but discourage students who already have low confidence regarding their abilities, and they'll simply opt to not doing A-levels at all perhaps.
Michael Gove is driven by ideology, rather than through evidence and advice.
Reply 4
urrrrrrrrrrrrghhh wna punch him!!!WHYWHYY WHYYY DID HE HAVE TO DO THAT FOR URGH
Reply 5
Original post by Rumaanaa
urrrrrrrrrrrrghhh wna punch him!!!WHYWHYY WHYYY DID HE HAVE TO DO THAT FOR URGH

I'm sure Jan retakes is only the first step towards all this. I'm happy that I'm an A2 student and won't be affected by all of this a great deal, but I feel for everyone else.
Reply 6
Find his scrapping of January exams pretty ridiculous. He's making us do the same exams but all in the summer. I'd be all for it if some of the modules were merged together, but scrapping January exams puts an awful lot of pressure on us year 12s next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by nukethemaly
I'm sure Jan retakes is only the first step towards all this. I'm happy that I'm an A2 student and won't be affected by all of this a great deal, but I feel for everyone else.

im in a2 too,but im re-doing an extra year at college to sort my a-levels out :frown: I was relying on that year to make a big difference on my grades, but that p r i c k had to butt in ddnt he-.- ffs
Reply 8
Original post by reeedo
Find his scrapping of January exams pretty ridiculous. He's making us do the same exams but all in the summer. I'd be all for it if some of the modules were merged together, but scrapping January exams puts an awful lot of pressure on us year 12s next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are planning on merging a few modules together, or overall scrapping the modular system off. They might make everything linear and everyone does a 3 hour exam at the end of the 2 years, and AS would weigh in for way less than the A2 section, so AS might be around 30% of your grade and A2 will be 70%.
Reply 9
Original post by Rumaanaa
im in a2 too,but im re-doing an extra year at college to sort my a-levels out :frown: I was relying on that year to make a big difference on my grades, but that p r i c k had to butt in ddnt he-.- ffs

Hahaha, don't be disheartened by it, just think of it as having extra time to study! Work really hard and you'll beat the system.
Reply 10
They are planning on merging a few modules together, or overall scrapping the modular system off. They might make everything linear and everyone does a 3 hour exam at the end of the 2 years, and AS would weigh in for way less than the A2 section, so AS might be around 30% of your grade and A2 will be 70%.

I don't think the merged modules will come into effect in time for me :frown: I'm in the year that got January exams this year but won't next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
What P I S S E S me off the most is the fact that we don't even have a say in this,at all.
Yet we are the ones that this will affect the most?Like ,wtf? politicians just do whatever the hell they want ,and we just have to go with it.
They did the same thing with uni fees, now with Jan exams and then godknows what else...
a-levels ,in general,are quiet hard as it is.
WHY THE **** MAKE IT WORSE!?!?!?
urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:angry:
(edited 11 years ago)
Gove's A-levels reform I'm sure has raised a lot of issues amongst students across the country. Firstly, the scrapping of the January retakes, now bringing back O-levels, as it is rumoured. By saying they're making exams harder because the pass rate is rising is ridiculous, it's undermining an individuals abilities and hardwork. I just want to know how people, especially students feel about these current changes. There isn't much of a "controversy" about any of this. I feel students protest all the time, but the government has a stern approach towards it and everything said is not taken into consideration.

More on the Ofqual research report can be read here: http://www2.ofqual.gov.uk/files/2012-06-18-a-level-reform-consultation.pdf

He's an absolute muppet. Britain has (or had before the conservatives came in) one of the best education systems in the world. For some reason this idiot is putting us back centuries and ruining everyone's hard work. He makes my blood boil.
Out of touch imbecile.
Reply 14
now bringing back O-levels, as it is rumoured. By saying they're making exams harderhttp://www2.ofqual.gov.uk/files/2012-06-18-a-level-reform-consultation.pdf

Ah the nostalgia of the O levels. From my mum and many of her friends, O levels were just about reciting and memorizing as much information as possible and then forgetting the material straight after the exams. They were taught information, but not so much on how to think. They didn't have as much debate or applying your knowledge as the current system has today.
Reply 15
Original post by Theoneoranro
He's an absolute muppet. Britain has (or had before the conservatives came in) one of the best education systems in the world. For some reason this idiot is putting us back centuries and ruining everyone's hard work. He makes my blood boil.

Would that that were true. Unfortunately he is erudite and able to string a cogent argument together, just that whatever comes from his mouth is always at odds with what I consider to be sensible reason.
Michael Gove is a legend. The sheer brilliance of Gove will become obvious once the first cohort of students to be effected by his changes finish their A-levels. All of this country's youth illiteracy problems, innumeracy problems and university preparation problems will vanish completely and Gove shall be hailed as the greatest tactician in delivering effective education to have ever been Education Secretary in this country's history. Just wait and watch.

Ofcourse, tragically, like all true geniuses, he will only fully be recognized as a genius (in delivering education) after his death. I suspect he will be knighted before a statue of him is erected outside Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by TheGuy117
Michael Gove is a legend. The sheer brilliance of Gove will become obvious once the first cohort of students to be effected by his changes finish their A-levels. All of this country's youth illiteracy problems, innumeracy problems and university preparation problems will vanish completely and Gove shall be hailed as the greatest tactician in delivering effective education to have ever been Education Secretary in this country's history. Just wait and watch.

Ofcourse, tragically, like all true geniuses, he will only fully be recognized as a genius (in delivering education) after his death. I suspect he will be knighted before a statue of him is erected outside Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford.

Trolling gone too far
Reply 18
Its an absolute joke, it really is. I agree with a lot of what Gove says and his ideas, but way he is trying to reform the education system is simply a joke.
I completely agree, reading some of the stuff he's said, I was laughing in disbelief. Does he not want students to even have the bare minimum of secondary education? The way he's doing this, it isn't going to "weed out" the "good" students from the "bad", but discourage students who already have low confidence regarding their abilities, and they'll simply opt to not doing A-levels at all perhaps.

That's fine, A-levels shouldn't be for everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending